Soluble tomato food

• 6 Replies

sclarke624

Soluble tomato food
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:55 »
I got a packet of Suttons powerfood for toms free with a packet of seeds.  This little packet makes up 10 litres of feed.  If I make some up could I keep it in a bottle for later use?  Should I keep in the dark?  As I luckily have 5 ltre bottles which I have used for drinking water (hate Sussex limey water) I can do this easily, but it would be quite difficult to do if it was a big box of the mix. So can you mix it too strong, I expect the answer would be yes?  Maybe on the full size box it tells you how to mix smaller quantities.

Don't know why I didn't get the soluble stuff before probably works out a lot cheaper.  It is NPK 10-10-24.

Probably all garden centres doing the buy pack of toms and get this sachet free.  More tom seeds argggh!  I will keep thse seeds for next year.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Soluble tomato food
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 14:51 »
I think it will keep OK, although mixing smaller quantity would be better - if only so that you don't store it for a long period of time - I expect the Toms will only want feeding once a week, and they will want about 1L each, so I don't think 10L will last very long :(

Don't mix it any stronger than the instructions say!

Don't feed the Toms with it until the first truss has set and you can see the little tiny fruits have started growing

sclarke624

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 15:59 »
Do you mean 1 Ltr in total the whole season, I hope.  Some of my peppers, gold nugget toms and golden sunrise do have flowers they have been in the conservatory and are supposed to be early ones which it turns out they are.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 16:25 »
Do you mean 1 Ltr in total the whole season...

No, I meant that you mix up the solution, as per instructions, and then apply about 1 Litre per plant - and you do that once a week, maybe twice a week. I don't know about the Suttons product, but the instructions for Tomorite say to use about 4.5L of diluted solution per Grow-bag once or twice a week.  A grow-bag will host either 2 or 3 plants - so 1 Litre per plant per week may be on the low side.

Its possible that the Sutton product needs you to first mic up a "concentrated" solution, and then dilute that again to make a solution that you feed with - but I doubt it as that would be too much hassle for most gardeners!

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 18:30 »
oh right no they are in pots, I can see how a grow bag would take that much.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 21:02 »
I think Pot grown Tomatoes need pretty much the same amount of water, and feed, as Tomatoes in Grow-bags, but others may have different views?

sclarke624

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:23 »
Well thanks for that any way Kristen.  They will be in the garden so easy to do.  In practise a litre will start to run out of the bottom of my pots, but they will probably cope with little and often.  Thanks

xx
6X Soluble?

Started by goodtogrow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2013, 13:53
by Growster...
xx
sulphate of iron (soluble

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 11:59
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Wilkos Tomato food

Started by yorky on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 11:48
by rideandy
xx
Chempak Tomato Food

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 08:35
by Christine

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 36 queries.