Herbs For Insomnia?

• 16 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Herbs For Insomnia?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:15 »
valerian sounds very similar to valium....is there a connection?  is it easy to grow?  is it legal :lol:   

although good old doctor prescribed temazepam is good enough for me. they say its very addictive ( not that i have found) although i only take a 1/4 of recommended dose every blue moon.  my tabs usually go past their sell by date before i get through them :D

No it is not the same at all!! It is legal and easy to grow, but like I said, roots harvested and dried at home have an unknown quantity of the active constituents. It does have arnge of properties, such as reducing blood pressure, relieving stress and anxiety and helping muscle spasms as well as insomnia.
I wouldn't recommend swapping without reference to your GP although many people us herbal preparatiosn very susccessfully (legal ones I mean  :lol:)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Re: Herbs For Insomnia?
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05 »
I think it all depends on the cause of the insomnia, I would recommend caution here.

If the cause of your insomnia is depression, its advisable to talk to your GP, herbs are unlikely to help. If you suffer from anxiety there are a number of ways herbs can help you relax and drift off to sleep. I have used Valerian Root in the past, it does help relax you although I found it gave me a mild headache for most of the following morning.

I found my sleeping problems started when I cut back on drinking alcohol- I have never been a heavy drinker but enjoy a glass of wine with my dinner almost every night. It was only when I took the decision to cut back and only drink at the weekend that I started having sleeping problems, I would wake up after a few hours and find it very difficult to get back to sleep.

Im now back to having my glass of wine a night and sleeping well.  8)

We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

xx
herbs?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 06, 2012, 14:06
by JayG
xx
herbs

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 19:46
by DD.
xx
Herbs

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 17:02
by Scribbler
xx
herbs

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 20:41
by Annie

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 28 queries.