Crop Records - What should I ... ? When will it ... ?

• 20 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
John has kindly allowed me to make this request:

I've seen quite a few "What should I sow now ..." and "When will it be ready?" type questions.

This year, for the first time, I have been keeping detailed records of my own What / When

To that end I have made an Excel spreadsheet which shows:
  • Type of crop (grouped by "Type" so that things in the same Rotation are together)
  • Name - e.g. Lettuce
  • Variety - e.g. Webbs Wonderful
  • Date Sown
  • Germinated on
  • Planted out on
  • First harvest
  • Last harvest (helps to know when the ground becomes available)

It also has an example for each type of crop, together with colour coded columns month-by-month showing when to sow / plant / harvest (like you get on the back of Suttons seed packets).  I'll attach a little picture to give you an example.

If any of you folks would like a copy you are welcome - please click the icon to send me a PM - please be sure to include your Email address :). All I would ask is that you send it back to me periodically, as you fill it in, so that I can collate all the information (as best as I can!) and post it here.

Hopefully it will make a useful resource for folk coming along next year to be able to gauge what-when ...

If you are able to help by recording your crops please send me a private message and I'll send you the spreadsheet. Don't forget to include your email address please (it isn't possible to attach files to PMs on the forum). I only have an Excel version I'm afraid!

P.S. If you already have crop history data in an electronic form that would be very helpful too. My day job is working with computer data, so there is a fair chance I will be able to import it into my spreadsheet - and you'd be welcome to a copy in return.
KristenVegPlanner.GIF
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:46 by Kristen »

vetskh

Re: Crop Records - What should I ... ? When will it ... ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 20:35 »
wow, that spreadsheet looks very useful. Must sort one out for myself this year.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 21:02 »
wow, that spreadsheet looks very useful. Must sort one out for myself this year.

You're very welcome to a copy of mine - just PM me your email address pls.

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 21:39 »
A lass after my own heart - veg geeks unite! I do something similar - will PM you for your address if you want a look at mine.

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:18 »
I've always meant to do that. Often started but by the time May comes it's forgotten!

Must try again this year - thanks for the nudge, Ill try your system

What I would find useful is remembering what variety I grew 3 years ago ( to repeat or avoid ) also planting dates to look back and tweak as necessary
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 08:47 »
A Spreadsheet is only one way of doing it, of course (I'm sure chalk and the back of the shed door works fine for many folks!) but I quite like being able to just copy the whole "season" sheet to create a plan for the new season, and then delete anything I didn't like, and insert new items I want to try - and be able to compare dates and times with previous seasons, of course

I also take lots of pictures (saves writing things down!). My camera's software creates a folder for each date [on which I took pictures] so that makes a nice chronological record too. I rename the folder to append some indication of what the pictures are about - so I just append "_Garden" or "_Family" to the date - still in chronological order, but a bit easier to find things

Send me a PM with your Email address and I'll send you the Spread sheet.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 13:23 »
If anyone's just after a planting, harvesting diary etc, don't forget the Members' Diaries thread in the GYO sticky section at the top of the GYO forum index - create your own post and then keep editing it in order to update with further actions / comments etc.  It's worth adding it to your favourites list too so you can easily go straight to your post.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 14:38 »
... Members' Diaries thread in the GYO sticky section at the top of the GYO forum index

I'd never spotted that before, thanks for posting.  If anyone else hasn't found it here's a link:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=12601.0

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 23:09 »
Having worked with computers and networks for 15 years - no probably longer - I'm the 'shed door record' type of gardener. 

I do use Microsoft Access for allotment committee records though.  So easy to add photos to tenants records.  I can see their weeds with one click of the mouse  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 15:54 »
Having worked with computers and networks for 15 years - no probably longer - I'm the 'shed door record' type of gardener.

Think there's more than a few of us Auntie.......(actually did 24years on 'puters...but enuf's enuf :lol:) pencil and paper werks for me now::)

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 21:18 »
Thought I had replied to this so apologies if you have 2 messages, I tried something similar but mine isnt anywhere as good as yours.

Started off last year growing a few lettuces in my garden as I live on my own and I was fed up off buying the big bags and then throwing half of it away.  Went through the hole of last summer not buying any.  So I have now managed to get an allotment with my Dad and am in this hole new world..... and I love it........  well that is until all my veg gets eaten and everything dies!!!!!!!!!!boo hoo.

Really wanted something like this so I could see next year at what time I planted what, and what worked.  So I would be grateful if you could send me this also

*Edited - email address*

I tried to send mine but I couldnt attach it

thanks

Claire
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 21:19 by peapod »

dcol

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 22:09 »
Hi,
Appreciate if you  could post a copy of the excel to me (a newbie for allotment gardening)

EDIT:  Please contact a moderator for contact details (e-mail addy removed for your security).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 22:11 by Aunt Sally »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 23:05 »
dcol: send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you a copy.  (If you put your email address in a message here you will receive no end of SPAM from the automatic email address harvesting robots :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 23:07 »
dcol: send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you a copy.  (If you put your email address in a message here you will receive no end of SPAM from the automatic email address harvesting robots :(

dcol can't send PMs yet as hasn't made sufficient posts.

I will PM you dcol's email address Kristen, in accordance with dcol's post.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 13:29 »
At the risk of ending up on the naughty step, and I know our dear friend Kristen will probably cringe when he sees I have replied  :D
I like Aunty tend to shy away from the comp for records, I know next year due to the poor harvest a certain pea is not on this years list.
I also go by some of the old sayings "in on the shortest day out on the longest day" etc.
Of course there are regional varations on sowing times, even soil types. The seed companys give you perfectly good information on the seed packet, I just adapt the time as I am a little further north than they. Do we not have a sort what to sow, harvest do month by month thing on here anyway?
However at the end of the day, what it boils down to is... Whatever floats your boat.
Just enjoy the whole GYO experience.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
first crop

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 20:15
by 2peasinapod
xx
Our very first crop!

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 00:11
by white westie
xx
My first crop

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 22:58
by lightyears

Page created in 0.85 seconds with 39 queries.