Can a butt crack be repaired?

• 88 Replies

Jeanieblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2007, 12:25 »
The Welsh have a lot of leaks don't they. Someone over there should come up with a great remedy for broken water containers (I'm being good, Auntie!). Icehockeymad could  do a roaring trade flogging  but patches near the Severn Bridge toll booths !!!!!
Still glowing, still growing, still going strong!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2007, 21:23 »
Quote from: "Ann"
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad
I really, really want to be horrible to the Welsh [/quote

Not all of us are bad  :shock:

Sorry Ann, the boy had an ice hockey match in Cardiff and was supposed to arrange a lift several days before.  He left it to the last minute and surprise, surprise, no-one had space for him and his kit. :roll:   I really didn't need the drive to Wales and when we got to the toll and were told to turn around I nearly blew a gasket.  Surely that bridge is paid for by now. :shock:

Actually his first choice university is Cardiff so next season I may have to make that journey more often to watch his games.  Better keep some change in the car. :wink:

Hmmmm, heard of selling coals to Newcastle, but leek (I know leek/leak:wink: ) repair kits to Wales, now that might just be a moneyspinner.
Cheese makes everything better.

Ann

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2007, 22:28 »
Hope they won the match after all that effort to get him there.   :lol:

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2007, 00:12 »
IHM - from where you are just outside Milky Beans, I'd suggest going via Bicester to Witney, and then picking up the A40 to just outside Gloucester, and pootling down the A48 to Chepstow, and get on the M48/M4 from there!  Avoids the toll, then, and it's a very pretty route!

When I take the nipper to his dad's, we either meet up in Oxford (ie just off the A40) or I take him all the way to Luton, but come back on the A40 anyway.  Over the last two years, I've found that this route is way quicker than the M4 Severn Bridge route, especially on a Friday!  It's slightly shorter too, and seems to use a bit less fuel.

The bridges are probably paid for by now, and annoyingly they both need lots of repairs - but the Anglo-French company in charge has a clause written into their contract saying they're not liable if they can show it's due to a "design fault".  Grrr.  They still get the toll money, though!

Just a thought for if your son does go to Cardiff!  How did the match go?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2007, 13:12 »
Yay, they did win after all that. :lol:   Well it was either win or walk home. :wink:

I'll look into that route ytyynycefn, picturesque and toll free, sounds good to me.

WG.

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2007, 13:33 »
I'm relieved to see your on to something else Ice.  When this thread popped up again, I was worried you were having more problems with your butt crack.   (tee hee hee hee)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2007, 22:50 »
Actually WG, I do have a question about my butt that someone on here might know the answer to.  It is.....

Last summer my butt was the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.  What can I do to prevent this?  One evening I took the lid off to see how much water there was and a whole army of mossies flew out.  What can I do?

muntjac

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2007, 22:58 »
cover the lot with an old tarp or sheet . i have the same dam problem with my water butt being outside the back door ,the * fly in when i let the dogs out at night, and they blooming bite  :x  tryed jeyes etc but thye just bite n it dont go septic then  :lol:
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
Actually WG, I do have a question about my butt that someone on here might know the answer to.  It is.....

Last summer my butt was the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.  What can I do to prevent this?  One evening I took the lid off to see how much water there was and a whole army of mossies flew out.  What can I do?
I add a little lime which seems to help keep the midge larvae under control

Trillium

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2007, 23:44 »
Add just enough cheap cooking oil to cover the surface. It'll suffocate all the eggs. Also, on the Gardener's World website somewhere, Joe Swift mentions a special organic liquid he uses inside the butts to control the critters but I can't remember what it is, something citrus scented.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2007, 09:56 »
I go the oposite way to WG, i put a few drops of vinegar in, but dont stir it up - it just acidifies the top few mm where the larvae are. Like most creatures they need quite neutral pH to live, so liming or acidifying will kill 'em.

liming might be better for the plot though later

oiling will work by increasing the surface tension so the mozzies cant break through to breath, and so suffocate

but munties best - make sure they cant lay the eggs in the first place - most butt lids have slight gaps that the females get in through
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2007, 10:14 »
Thanks guys, you lot are amazing.  Getting the cracked butt tomorrow and attempting a repair over the weekend using the car repair kit.  Will let you know if it works.  As for the mossies, I think a combination of the above suggestions should work.

Thanks all, If I have any more problems I know who to ask. :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2007, 15:04 »
before you put the repair patches on (im assumine the car repair kit is fiberglass), take a wire brush or some rough sandpaper to the area its going on and make it really rough, that way the patch will stick much better

muntjac

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2007, 15:07 »
drill loads little holes 1/2 from the crack on both sides of it this wil make an even better surface for sticking to .use resin first then apply the patching material then more resin on top .. paste some on the inside as well :wink: werks on inflatables ..... on the boat not the skirts

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2007, 15:12 »
good point! counterintuitive as it may sound, putting more holes in is a great idea, the resin flows through and joins both patches together

a patch on both sides and it'l be like a pair of rivetted plates - rock solid!

if its fastglass you got only mix it just before you apply the stuff - it lives up to its name! give it 7-8mins and it starts going like jelly

ere, why aint me emoticons working???

xx
Water butt

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 14:26
by Jeanieblue
xx
water butt

Started by dimbutnice on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 14:29
by Neezy13
xx
Wilkos butt

Started by BestBreast on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 23:11
by mumofstig
xx
100L Water Butt - £5

Started by Willow_Warren on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 08:08
by cadalot

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 37 queries.