Growing in wet areas...

• 5 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Growing in wet areas...
« on: April 11, 2009, 17:23 »
My new allotment appears to be quite wet, the soil was very easy to dig into compared to my other allotment, there are loads of stinging nettles and grasses  growing, what grows well in these conditions.

I am going to put raised beds in for anything that wont grow well...

Thanks

SkipRat

Re: Growing in wet areas...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:34 »
Land that floods hold water, will benefit from deep digging, also if your land is supporting nettles it may be a good idea to get yourself a Ph testing kit as nettles could be an indication  that your soil is on the acid side.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:38 »
I dug down about 2 ft is that deep enough?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 17:19 »
If you were still digging nice soil at 2' depth, you're a lucky little *******.  Some plants like their feet wet, so keep some areas non-raised for things like celery.

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32 »
The soil didnt get any wetter the deeper i dug so i guess thats a good thing, a couple of the neighbours  (not all) have dug tranches around their beds and some are raised... as its the first year I think i am going to try a few things and see what happens....

woodburner

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47 »
The soil didnt get any wetter the deeper i dug so i guess thats a good thing, a couple of the neighbours  (not all) have dug tranches around their beds and some are raised... as its the first year I think i am going to try a few things and see what happens....

The trenches around the beds sounds interesting, for those that want big beds that they dig over every year. I don't do digging, so I make lazy beds, which amounts the the same thing only smaller, the same size as normal no-dig beds. They have the drainage advantages of raised beds, but are more flexible, less work, and are more environmentally friendly (no timberwork ;) ). They also don't leave you wondering, 'how am I going to fill it?'

I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
Keeping grass down on paths and non-growing areas

Started by Chivetalkin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 16, 2021, 20:52
by Welsh Merf
xx
shaded areas?

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 16:37
by madcat
xx
Shady areas

Started by Trying to be green on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 14:52
by 3759allen
xx
Using ALL areas of the garden.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 12, 2019, 13:21
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 1.85 seconds with 36 queries.