flowers in between rows

• 11 Replies

coo!

flowers in between rows
« on: April 11, 2009, 16:18 »
i know theres a special word for it but cant think! anyway is there a hardy plant that i can grow between rows that attract buzzy bees and dont take much lookin after!!
Face your Fears .............
............Live your Dreams

Never eat yellow snow

DIGGER

Re: flowers in between rows
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 16:33 »
Lavender, permanant and easy, I have a small area for flowers to attract all sorts

coo!

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 16:41 »
Lavender, permanant and easy, I have a small area for flowers to attract all sorts
nice 1!

Stripey_cat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 18:46 »
Get a dwarf cultivar - normal lavender gets to be quite a large plant (up to 3' tall, and easily that across).  Any sort needs a clip over in early autumn to keep it compact and neat, or you end up with a sort of scruffy standard - lots of growth on top, and bare stem for the first foot or so.

Alternatives (you don't want lavender between rows, as its roots will spread and get damaged each time you dig), are lots of annuals - poached egg plants (Limnanthes) are traditional and good for attracting bees and hoverflies, but almost any with single flowers will help.  They will self-seed, so either cut them before the seed heads open (and save the seed to plant next year if you want to), or let them do their thing and weed them out from where you don't need them.

coo!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 18:58 »
cool cheers,

hawkeye

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 14:10 »
i thought planting some flowers like marigolds keep pests away as well as adding color :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 15:04 »
Marigolds don't exactly keep pests away directly but they do attract hoverflies whose larvae then eat greenfly. They also have a strong smell which some people think deters pests like carrot fly by confusing them, plus they look lovely and can be eaten (flowers) in salads etc
Don't try to eat french marigolds - their flowers do the same job but are not edible so far as I know
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 17:18 »
Calendulas are a no-care, heavily flowering plant that really attracts the bees as it's a 'single' rather than double flower which bees prefer. Calendulas are annuals but readily self seed so you can actually 'weed' them out of places you don't want them and still have loads left. And if you step on the plants, you won't much care. The dried petals work nicely in some herbal tea mixes.
While I love lavender, I'd never put it in an area that's walked in as they really need dry conditions or they'll quickly go mushy and they can't tolerate stepping on.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 17:45 »
You'll also need to consider whether you want permanent i.e. perennial flower plants, whose roots will grow and eventually could be harmed by regular cropping of annual veg between them, or annuals - which can be moved and re-spaced each year according to what your veg is.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

David.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 21:00 »
Marigolds don't exactly keep pests away directly .............

From: http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/companion.htm

"Some plants exude protective chemicals (allelochemicals) from their roots or foliage which can deter pests, eg. African Marigolds produce thiopene which repels nematodes so it makes a good companion plant for root crops which are attacked by nematodes. This is given the title Allelopathy."

"Marigolds and Garlic have a reputation for repelling a number of insect pests such as Aphids and Carrot Root Flies. The Mexican Marigold, Tagetes minuta or Muster-John-Henry, is an annual which grows to about 1.2 m (the species name refers to the flowers not the height of the plant) The roots have an insecticidal effect on nematodes and some effect on keeled slugs. The secretions responsible begin about 3 months after sowing and also affect the growth of Ground-elder (Aegopodium podagraria), Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), Couch grass (Agropyron repens), Lesser Celandine (Ranunculus ficaria )and Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea). It is grown as a half-hardy annual which can be planted out after the risk of frost has passed, but this does not usually give them a long enough growth period to flower and set seed in Britain. Deadheading prolongs the growth for protection purposes."

Also check out:

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/pdfs/international_programme/TNP2-Mexican_marigold.pdf

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 21:03 »
This is fascinating -- perhaps you can put this on the thead about Your Worst Weed too as I'm sure others would want to know about this (Sorry if I am making assumptions here about others - I don;t mean that everyone is as uneducated as me about this of course  :))

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 21:10 »
I thought I'd read every possible theory on how to try and combat the dreaded bindweed but that's a new one! - which I think I might just try!  Thanks! :)
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.
xx
cut flowers.

Started by Madame Cholet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 18:52
by Madame Cholet
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet
xx
Cut Flowers?

Started by violet on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:02
by violet

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 28 queries.