planting seeds

• 5 Replies

gidster

planting seeds
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:01 »
hi everyone ,

a question. can i plant seeds straight into the ground on the allotment?

i was going to get some summer cabbage,broccoli, and brussels planted.

also my old man as given me some boccoli and cabbage seedlings which are are about 3 inches high,but they are leggy, can these still be put into the allotment?

thanks.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: planting seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:06 »
You certainly can put seeds direct in the allotment, its known as direct sowing. Some are better than others than getting started, so a lot of peopledo start off in pots, but as long as your soil is well prepared then it saves time.

With the broc and cabbage just plant up to the leaves, they should be fine
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:11 »
sometimes worth having a word with the neighbours at your site as they may know what it's like there although there's nothing wrong with sowing direct on the plot but do take some preventative action against slug damage (they just love brassica seedlings!)  Personally I sow at home, pot on until I get a good root system before planting brassicas on the plot so that I can reduce clubroot.

As for leggy brassicas, you can plant them deep so that the soil is at stem level  ;)  Don't forget to also put collars round to prevent root fly burrowing in, and arrange to put netting over to stop the pigeons pecking at them, and cabbage white butterfly from laying eggs.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

gidster

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:20 »
thanks for your replies,

what do mean by collars? and which veg needs them?

sorry for being a bit thick. :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:00 »
It is suggested to use collars on all brassica plants - cabbages, broccoli, etc.  I buy them (about £3 per 20-30) but they can be made from carpet underlay or other materials. 

They are discs of about 3" in diameter that you place round the stem of the plant when planting, so that the cabbage root fly can't burrow into the soil and lay its eggs.

There have been previous posts on this, if you need more info try a search in this forum.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 17:40 »
I made mine out of damp-proof membrane which comes on the roll. My was free as I nicked it off OH  8)

xx
Planting seeds

Started by Pete C on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 22:05
by Pete C
xx
What seeds should I be planting around now (mid Oct)

Started by tinyallotment on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 08:02
by Kristen
xx
planting seeds

Started by keith dale on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 18:00
by mdueal
xx
when planting seeds

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:27
by DD.

Page created in 1.233 seconds with 36 queries.