Pigs Week 24.5

• 455 Replies

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Re: Pigs Week 5.
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2009, 07:30 »
After our pigs were on about 2 acres for a little over a year it looked like giant moles had attacked the lot and I worked a tractor and box blade for close to a week steady to get the ground back level. But the hogs dug out all of the Johnson Grass roots and killed it off and I was left with soil that grew plants that were a rich dark green.

Knight Family

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2009, 09:12 »
Stuart , I must say I hate you!!! I want pigs but no land :( They look realy good, will keep an eye on them.

Keep up the good work.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00 »

How many pigs did you have on two acres nnbreeder?  I am only keeping these porkers for 6 may be 7 months.  Mainly because it gets very very wet up here and it would not be a happy life for them.  Last time it rained all day they did not come out of there ark (pig home) only for food.  I am thinking about may be planting some root or veg for next years pair this autumn an you never know I may get to eat something.  At the moment I have 1/2 acre (not rubbing you nose in it honest  Knight Family) split into two and when they muck up this 1/4 of an acre I am going to move them into the next.  After 5 weeks it looks like they may stay on the first 1/4 for the whole length of time. I have a small area of native rhizome reproducing grass, similar slightly to Johnson Grass, its a common pointer ill drained soil and is a member of the Juncus family. Anyway they love rooting in there but are not eating the rhizomes :( 
Next year I will be looking at getting a darker skinned breed as I have to keep an eye on the weather forecast and apply factor 40 to there ears on sunny days.  They as yet do not like water being splashed on them or like wallowing in mud!!!!!! 
nicchick or anyone else that is considering pigs I keep mine surrounded but an 3 wire 60cm electric fence run by a 12v battery and so far they have complete respect for the fence.
http://www.rutland-electric-fencing.co.uk/PageAnimalSwine.aspx
The only other thing I would say is pigs need shade but whether they will feel the need to use it is another matter.

Knight Family have you considered approaching someone in your area that has land may be wooded and you could rent it and use pork as a payment?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Knight Family

« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2009, 11:54 »
well were going to be moving down south (enforced with work) so looking for a good place weith a bit of land. Have found a house that looks like it backs on to un sured grass land so may well be able to purchase. (I hope then its Pigs and more chickens!!!)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14 »
The only problem with pigs is they are so funny to watch.  I would say they are like edible dogs.  If that makes sence?

Rubellite

« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 14:05 »
The only problem with pigs is they are so funny to watch.  I would say they are like edible dogs.  If that makes sence?

Are you beginning to get attached? ;)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #126 on: May 12, 2009, 14:07 »
I will miss the twice daily pig chores.  But not really.  They are a fun animal to watch.  A bit like watching spring lambs, more fun that cows and sheep.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2009, 02:55 »
We had 1 Boar and four sows.

Really? they don't like getting wet? Ours would root out big gaping holes when it rained and often all that could be seen was their snout above water, oh and their ears, pigs do hate getting their ears wet. Through the summer I ran misters in the barn 24/7 as our summers can be quite hot for long periods. It's nothing to have up to 30 days straight of temps above 100 deg F

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2009, 07:30 »
No chance (i hope) about the temp getting that high for that length of time.  These two are not really in to digging big holes YET but there is time.

They spend most of there time asleep in the shade area and have told me that they wanted there bedding replace in the pig arch (house) by not sleeping in there for a couple of days.  Down one of our fence lines we have been putting our horses inedible hay and they have been found sleeping our in that!!!!!!!

Your boar nnbreeder did he taste different to you sows? I have been told that the male testosterone hormone can taint the meat.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 14:06 by Roughlee Handled »

too many girls

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2009, 12:50 »
  Down on of out fence lines we have been putting our horse in edible hay and they where found sleeping our in that!!!!

bit early in the morning for you Ruff? :lol:

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2009, 13:01 »
Talk gobbledegook I do.

too many girls

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2009, 14:02 »
you know  they said on here that if you look at the first and last letter of a word you brain automatically fills in the gaps? doesn't work with you  :D

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2009, 14:08 »
OK it solhud mkae sesne now.

FCG

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2009, 20:03 »
OK it solhud mkae sesne now.

Oh hells, Stu's now speaking in tounges.

TMG, what have you done? He's just going to make a lot of unintelligible and unreadable posts now....

...wait a second... :D (I kid, i kid)

How often do you replace the bedding? How is the potato toss going?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2009, 20:37 »
About once a month I wash the silk sheets and re plump the pillows. I also add a extra half a bale of straw.

xx
We are getting some pigs.

Started by debih on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:12
by gsc
xx
G Pigs

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 19:17
by daisy1990
xx
Pigs. Pigs everywhere!!!

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:15
by shetan
xx
How much space should I allow for 2/3 pigs?

Started by RobH on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 20:59
by GilbertJessop

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 37 queries.