Sawdust

• 17 Replies

Ivor Backache

Sawdust
« on: April 10, 2009, 14:31 »
I have access to a steady supply of fresh clean softwood sawdust.  I have divided my patch into three main areas. Greeens (brassica/legume) potato and roots (carrot parsnip and onion)
I have searched the net for information and am aware of the nitrogen issue.
I have put seven binbags on the potato patch which was about an inch and left it. It disappeared in a few months with rain and worm action. It should not affect potatoes because they are not a nitrogen crop. When I dug the trenches I put more sawdust in the bottom and forked it into the sublayer. Added to leafmold and compost and planted.
I put a similar amount on the legume patch About two inches deep and at the moment I have planted a double row of broad bean (the earler ones have now flowered)  and a row of peas.
No sawdust on the cabbage or root patches, but I may use some as a 'mulch' and see if I can contol weeds. Use some in the compost.
I expect many of you have access to sawdust but there is a lot of negatives.
I thought I would start this thread to obtain your views.

peterjf

Re: Sawdust
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 15:00 »
ive read that fresh saw dust draws the nitrogen from the soil , the saw dust needs to be 4-6 months old ,and also needs to be mixed with manure-

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 15:23 »
Provided it's not applied thickly, nor used as a mulch, sawdust can be used in small quantities. And the fact that you're mixing it with manure helps a lot to break it down and quickly. Otherwise it would be a shame to waste a natural and abundant resource.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 16:07 »
You can use it effectively on your fire in the winter too. Get some cardboard tubes from a fabric shop or carpet shop. Cut them in to 9"-10" lengths. Put a wad of paper in the end. Stuff the sawdust in and pack it down TIGHT. Put a wad in the other end.

To use, have a hot fire and lay the tubes on. They will burn smoke free, and give you a fair amount of heat.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 16:17 »
very fine sawdust will explode ! so watch out!.
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

Knoblauch

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 16:31 »
There's someone in the B'ham area making open fire fuel from autumn leaf fall in a similar way.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 16:52 »
very fine sawdust will explode ! so watch out!.

Only if it is in dust form in an aerosol. I have used fine sawdust with no problems. It does not explode if packed in tubes.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 16:54 »
There's someone in the B'ham area making open fire fuel from autumn leaf fall in a similar way.

That's a bit sad, leaves are THE top dressing to use for plant growing, pity to burn them.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 20:37 »
Dust from a sander dust bag will explode if ignited... it does not have to be in an aerosol, so worth the warning I think. I am sure if you use it correctly it will be fine.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 21:52 »
Dust from a sander dust bag will explode if ignited... it does not have to be in an aerosol, so worth the warning I think. I am sure if you use it correctly it will be fine.

1) Dust from a sander bag is NOT sawdust.
2) If ignited the local thermal expansion of gases MAY cause further dust to rise, and there MAY be a possibility of a chain reaction. However, when ever I have tried to light the stuff it does not do that, and the only way to have an explosion is to have a correctly proportioned aerosol.

Have you caused a sander dust bag to explode by igniting it?

There is much talk of explosions in dust extraction systems caused by static discharge. The energy in the spark is to small to initiate the combustion.

I have just seen gardeners world in which some people working on a community allotment exercise were working very safely. They were wearing high visibility safety jackets.

This country has gone safety bonkers.

5thhorseman

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 22:03 »
I've read somewhere else on this forum that sawdust can be an effective slug repellant.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 22:21 »
I read a quote in Peter Whitefield's book, "You don't have an excess of slugs, you have a deficiency of ducks".

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 09:18 »

1) Dust from a sander bag is NOT sawdust.
2) If ignited the local thermal expansion of gases MAY cause further dust to rise, and there MAY be a possibility of a chain reaction. However, when ever I have tried to light the stuff it does not do that, and the only way to have an explosion is to have a correctly proportioned aerosol.

Have you caused a sander dust bag to explode by igniting it?

There is much talk of explosions in dust extraction systems caused by static discharge. The energy in the spark is to small to initiate the combustion.

I have just seen gardeners world in which some people working on a community allotment exercise were working very safely. They were wearing high visibility safety jackets.

This country has gone safety bonkers.

Got to agree , I did a lot of hardwood floors years ago and if you put a match to a pile of sander dust it barely smoulders but if you chuck a shovel full into the air above a bonfire WHooooooomm....great fun ........H&S would freak out. :D   Hardwoods can be very toxic so in a bag in the bin is the best option.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08 »

Got to agree , I did a lot of hardwood floors years ago and if you put a match to a pile of sander dust it barely smoulders but if you chuck a shovel full into the air above a bonfire WHooooooomm....great fun ........H&S would freak out. :D   Hardwoods can be very toxic so in a bag in the bin is the best option.

But its not recommended! (from the H&S greenjacket  :D )
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 11:04 »
Quote from: 8doubles
  Hardwoods can be very toxic so in a bag in the bin is the best option.

This is probably the most important consideration. The worst effects to people are caused by the particles so small they are invisible. I don't know what effects the toxic components has on plants when mixed in the soil, but the toxins will probably kill soil organisms if it is used in quantity.

xx
Sawdust

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 14, 2012, 21:14
by banf77
xx
sawdust

Started by pran vallaba on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 11:52
by weeeed
xx
Sawdust

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2015, 18:37
by Dave NE
xx
Sawdust?

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 21:32
by JimB

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.