Whats the best type of apple tree for in a pot

• 10 Replies

anitaws

Whats the best type of apple tree for in a pot
« on: April 09, 2009, 19:57 »
Hi all :)

We plan to move in 2 to 3 years time and I would love an apple tree.  I could plant it in a large pot and relocate in garden once weve moved.  I just know I don't want a monster and am unsure what size root stock to look for.

I like eating braeburn, royal gala and russet apples and don't know if any of these are readily available.

What do you think?

Anita

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: Whats the best type of apple tree for in a pot
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 20:06 »
Do you want it to live in a pot permanantly or just until you move? If you got a really dwarf one (M27 I think is the smallest) it could live permanently in a pot, but if you got a bigger one it might outgrow the container before you are ready to move. I got my apple trees from these people - http://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/index.php - it's a really informative site with loads of varieties and descriptions of each one. I'm sure they could advise you if you contact them.
Rachael

Buzzy bee

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 20:13 »
Hi

Not sure if you can get them, but either braeburn or russet are gorgeous apples!

Cheers

Dave

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 20:42 »
When we lived in Essex, we got our fruit trees from Ken Muir who were not far away.  They have a website and sell trees ideal for pots.  they are called Minarettes, but can't remember what types of apple they do.

Have a look at their website  it's either www.kenmuir.co.uk or .com, not sure which, but just going for a shower so haven't time to look. back later!!!! lol

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 20:59 »
We also bought trees from Ken Muir and they are minarette types which grow really well in pots. Grannie Annie has posted the link already. have a look beacuse there's bound to be something suitable.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

anitaws

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 21:32 »
Thank ever so much.

I wanted to pot the tree for the time I live where I am at the moment but plant to plant it at the next house.

I will check out the links, I always prefer to use someone on recommendation the first time.

Anita

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 21:50 »
Seems a pity to go for Braeburn, a New Zealand apple whose greatest attribute is to withstand long distance travel, and can be bought in any supermarket when there are so many amazing English apples to choose from which can't be bought in a shop.

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 22:58 »

Thank you for posting the links strangerachael and GrannieAnnie, I've been toying with the idea of an apple tree for a while now and like anitaws, I much prefer to go by recommendation.

Howard

anitaws

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:15 »
Hi Oldbean

The problem is that I've only ever had apples from the supermarket and don't know what else is available.  It seems a gamble to buy a fruit tree not knowing if I would like the fruit it produces.

Anita

SG6

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21 »
An M27 rootstock will give a tree of about 6 ft.
The root ball stays compact and about 12-15ins across. Needs staking.
So if you were to get a good sized pot it should be OK in a pot for a while at least.
I have several in my garden.

The next is M9 rootstock, these get to 8-10 ft and a slightly bigger rootball but at a push you could get away with one in a pot for a year or two.

Noticed that Wilkinsons were selling large plastic pots last week. About 7 or 8 pound and would probably be fine for what you want. For moving a tub with handles may be better.

No idea what is in S Yorks. I had mine grafted on to the root stocks by the Brogdale Trust, they hold the national fruit/apple collection and have just over 2000 apple varieties. So lots of choice, unfortunately they are in Kent, so a bit too far for you to visit. An email or phone call may be useful.

anitaws

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32 »
Cheers :)

M27 it will be then, having no idea where I'm going to go next I'd be better with a smaller tree, moving and placement in new garden.  It doesn't sound like I'll need laders out to pick from 6 foot.

I've had a few holidays around Kent, New Forrest and its definately beautiful and to far for a nip down at a weekend.  I see what I can find supplied up here.

Wilkinsons, I always come out with more than I sent in for, especially if I take Bob with me.

Anita

xx
whats happened to my apple tree

Started by melfon on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 18:55
by gobs
xx
Whats nice to plant around apple tree?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 16:43
by Spana
xx
What type of apple

Started by BarnBrian on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 09:00
by BarnBrian
clip
Help identifying apple type

Started by lordthanatos on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 28, 2014, 21:17
by lordthanatos

Page created in 1.115 seconds with 36 queries.