New alotment and new gardener!

• 17 Replies

Buzzy bee

New alotment and new gardener!
« on: April 07, 2009, 20:04 »
Hi

Just been to see my new allotment.  Well, due to the large waiting list, I have been allocated a half plot, so it is not that big, big enough for me though!

I have never done any veg growing before, so will be open to anyones advice and thoughts.

I saw it has a bit of that bind weed on, and was hoping to make a start clearing/digging it over later this week or early next.  What is the best way to do this?  I wondered about forking it over and then laying a piece of silage sheet over it until I decide what to plant and where.  Will this keep the weeds surpressed?

I will also be able to get my hands on as much horse/cow muck as I need, being saround farms/stables every day, what type of muck is best to dig in?

Lastly, what should I be thinking of planting at the moment.  I have no greenhouse yet, so everything will be outside?

Sorry for all of the questions, and will apologise as there will be many more!

Cheers

Dave

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: New alotment and new gardener!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 20:08 »
Hi Dave, and congrats on getting your lotty!

There's so much info on the Info linky near the top of the page, I'd suggest you start by browsing there.  There's articles on what to do each month, and also on clearing a new plot, just for starters.

Re the bindweed, depends whether you want to be fully organic or not.  A glyphosate-based weedkiller will hit it, ensure you apply it on a day when it will not rain for at least 6 hours.  You'll probably have to keep digging the white roots out though for a while.

Definitely cover uncultivated areas asap, before the weeds become triffids!  Silage sheet would do for a few months, wouldn't use it for longer than that as it does not allow air or water through.  Just don't use carpet  :)

Good luck and ask away  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Buzzy bee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 20:36 »
Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.  I don't think it will be all that long before I have filled it, as it is only smallish.  I will get some sillage sheet off the roll.  I have enough on the roll to cover the whole allotment site!  hehe

Why do you say not to use carpet, what would you recomend me using?

I would prefer to keep it pretty organic, as the neighbouring plots use no chemicals.

I will go into the libary at work tomorow, and look for a few books. 

Cheers

Dave

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 20:53 »
Carpets can have toxins trodden into them whilst in use, they often have chemicals which are released into the soil when they break down, if you're lucky they disintegrate into lots of undegradable pieces, if you're unlucky the weeds just grow straight through them or on top of them, they're a nightmare to remove, and if you give up the plot it's someone else's horrible problem ...  :)

As for alternatives, some people recommend thick cardboard (rots away over a year or so), I have woven weed suppressant fabric for my paths, but used cheaper plastic weed suppressant fabric with tiny holes.

As for books, I really can't recommend John's highly enough - Veg growing month by month, and the Essential Allotment Guide.  Available through this website if you wish, just look on the home page.

gidster

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 20:54 »
welcome friend.

im the same has you mate, ive had mine about 5 months now and its a pretty big plot about  10 m x 50 m.

all i did was cover it straight away .

one old fella said to my the other day, dig a bit ,plant a bit and dont rush it .

and thats what ive done and all of a sudden ive got early potatoes in 2 rows,leeks.onions and broared beans,and while im digging a bit, the sheeting is helping me out by killing the weeds.

i still dont know a deal tho :)

Buzzy bee

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 22:33 »
Hi

I see about the carpet, will weeds just grow through hesian, or would that help.

I think I will use the sillage sheet for now, as I think most of it will be planted in a 3 4 weeks, well bar a few spots.

I am looking forward to making some nice frames for my beans to grow up etc, I mean I do metal work and make lots of things.

Really looking forward to this venture.

Any ideas on muck, I have read the self help section and it quotes lots of percentages/figures, but what do these mean.  Do I get my soil sample and take it for analysis to see what it is rich in/lacking?

Cheers

Dave

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:34 »
As for the muck I would go for horse manure over cow manure every time but it does need to be well rotted so if you can start a muck heap somewhere that would be good.  Cow manure could be full of all sorts of chemical gunk off the milking parlour floor, plus of course whatever the cows have been eating has been processed in the stomach 4 times to the horse's 1  :)

peterjf

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32 »
welcome to the wonderfull mysterious world of grow your own ,

any manure is good for the soil , when we gort our 1st plot we dug 2 yrds a day ,

take your time , have a break , if in doubt ask , a fool who doesnt ask is a fool all the time ,

you could always put in a few rows of spuds to get you going , about now is the right time for spuds

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 11:30 »
Silage sheet is good. If you can rescue and use used stuff that would be better from the environmental point of view, rather than using new off the roll.
How wide is it? I've found that it stays surpsingly wet underneath black plastic, but I've only had 1-2m width, so the water still gets to the ground every few feet.
Is the manure pyralid free? Well rotted stuff can go on any time, pongy stuff needs to be stacked for a while.  Whatever sort is easiest is the best. ;)  Don't put it where you want to grow snips or carrots this year.
Grow whatever you like to eat.
Have you got a conservatory or sunny window to start off frost tender things like runner and french beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn? If so (and you like them ;) ) now is the time to sow them. A lot of things that are often started indoors can actually be sown outside, e.g. leeks, but a bit later (or the seed would just rot in the ground) but they won't grow quite as big. Pretty much everything can be sown now actually, but I'd put things that need the whole season at the top of the list. (Off the top of my head, brassicas, leeks and onions, potatoes, Earlies can, ironically, be planted a bit later as they have a shorter growing period than main.)
HTH :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:34 »
Just wanted to add - of course if you cover the soil it will prevent the weeds growing, but if you have dug the soil over first you will have brought lots of annual weed seeds to the surface, which, as soon as you remove the cover will germinate. Some people recommend letting the first flush of annual weeds grow for a couple of weeks, and hoe them off just before you plant/sow. Otherwise, as your seedlings come up they will be surrounded by weed seedlings and you might not know which are which - I found this a problem in my first year. There will be weeds coming up around your crops all season of course, but  you might just get the worst of them out of the way first.
Rachael

Buzzy bee

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 20:24 »
Silage sheet is good. If you can rescue and use used stuff that would be better from the environmental point of view, rather than using new off the roll.
How wide is it? I've found that it stays surpsingly wet underneath black plastic, but I've only had 1-2m width, so the water still gets to the ground every few feet.
Is the manure pyralid free? Well rotted stuff can go on any time, pongy stuff needs to be stacked for a while.  Whatever sort is easiest is the best. ;)  Don't put it where you want to grow snips or carrots this year.
Grow whatever you like to eat.
Have you got a conservatory or sunny window to start off frost tender things like runner and french beans, tomatoes, sweetcorn? If so (and you like them ;) ) now is the time to sow them. A lot of things that are often started indoors can actually be sown outside, e.g. leeks, but a bit later (or the seed would just rot in the ground) but they won't grow quite as big. Pretty much everything can be sown now actually, but I'd put things that need the whole season at the top of the list. (Off the top of my head, brassicas, leeks and onions, potatoes, Earlies can, ironically, be planted a bit later as they have a shorter growing period than main.)
HTH :)

Hi

Thanks everyone for their replies!

I am not sure if I know of any plastic that is not in use at the moment, probably will be in a month or so, but there is a roll in the tool stores.  I would think it is 5 or 10 m wide, wider than my plot eitherway! 

Think the muck should be ok, was speaking to a few people on the allotment site, and they were pleading for some from the farm I was talking about, after they had some a year or two ago, and found it was quite good.  Might try to arrange one of the tractors to go down with a trailer to give anyone who wants some.  Will find out tomorow.

Have been down tonight to look about a bit, and have decided on raised beds, so will source some timber, and start having a dig tomorow evening and over the easter weekend.  If it is nice weather I can be on the allotment, bad weather I can be in my shed, restoring one of my cars.  Ideal!

Cheers

Dave

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 20:33 »
Biggest piece of advice we were given about raised beds was to build three sides, put it in place, dig inside the bed then put final side on.  Do this until all of your beds are in place and then take the top layer of weeds off the paths and put weed suppresant of your choice (we use empty compost sacks and wood chippings) on path.

Saves lots of digging up of paths that isn't necessary.

Buzzy bee

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 21:57 »
Hi

What is the best way to fill raised beds, just a mixture of soil and muck?  I was thinking leaving them a bit low, as they will fill up as I add more matter.

Do I need to add any gravel etc.

I was hoping to have them about 2 planks high.

Cheers

Dave

woodburner

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 22:27 »
Have been down tonight to look about a bit, and have decided on raised beds, so will source some timber, and start having a dig tomorow evening and over the easter weekend. 

Before I get my usual soapbox out, can I ask why?  ;)

Buzzy bee

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 07:53 »
Hi Woodburner

Because I like the look of them, and also they seem to be a good idea where I am as it is a bit wet!

I take it you don't like them?

Cheers

Dave

xx
advice on alotment please

Started by urbanarcher on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 12, 2011, 20:31
by urbanarcher
xx
Alotment Planting out

Started by Ladyrose56 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 15:42
by Mother-Hen
xx
alotment wars bbc

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 19:14
by arugula
xx
Hazel tree on an alotment

Started by sussexmike on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 09, 2011, 09:15
by aelf

Page created in 0.809 seconds with 37 queries.