Leggy rocoto chillies

• 5 Replies

jb

• Experienced Member
Leggy rocoto chillies
« on: April 07, 2009, 13:12 »
Hi,
I have a selection of chillies growing on a warm, sunny, south-facing, windowsill with foil reflectors. All my annuums chineses and baccatums are nice and compact but my yellow rocotos  look leggy and a bit weedy despite the fact that they are in bigger pots than everything else. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem as there must be enough light as the other plants are all fine  ???.
jon

Stripey_cat

Re: Leggy rocoto chillies
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 22:49 »
Not sure, but I find chillies like to be a bit pot-bound, even as seedlings.  So it could be that the larger pots are too much of a good thing.

jb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:14 »
Unfortunatly the rocotos were starting to get leggy in their old pots that they were a bit pot bound in so I don't think its the pot size, but thanks for the advice. I'm just about to repot some other species and i will make sure i only use a small jump in pot size.

hectic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 13:39 »
My chillies are not at all happy, they started off ok but got leggy then I repotted them higher up the stems and now they are just not doing anything and generally look very sorry for themselves. I think I popped them in the greenhouse too early then we had that cold snap  :(

KarooPaul

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 14:08 »
I've also had leggy chillis (some were locoto) and thought at the time that they were getting plenty of light. I've subsequently decided that they weren't getting nearly enough. (Having repotted, buried the suckers up to their necks, and placed out in the gh during daytime, they've really beefed up.) But I've also wondered about my growing medium. I used some stuff supposed to be great for fully fledged plants, rather than using something like Innes no2. What other factors are there - heat (constant/fluctuating), water (how much and when), variety pecularities? Phases of the moon?! I still reckon it's mostly down to light. Maybe peppers need a lot more than the other things you were sprouting?

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 15:36 »
They seem to take off more once they've got a few proper leaves. The stalks thicken up later. You might need to give them a stake for support if they look very spindly.

xx
Locoto Rocoto

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 03, 2020, 17:39
by Auntiemogs
xx
Leggy tom seedlings

Started by dig4victory on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 14:50
by DD.
xx
Leggy Swedes

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2015, 16:27
by Floody
xx
leggy brassicas

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:47
by MJS

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.