Miracles DO happen! I got my allotment...now what?

• 23 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Miracles DO happen! I got my allotment...now what?
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:59 »
Hi Guys!

I've been posting on the chicken forum for a while now and have dabbled in growing stuff in the garden in the very limited borders we have as well as some toms/chilli's in the lean to.

I've had my name down for an allotment for...ooh....18 months or more and basically resigned myself to the fact that I would get one when hell froze over but.....today I got one!!! 
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2 days before my birthday - great present!

I've NEVER seriously grown stuff, NEVER had a vegetable patch or allotment and well....where do I start??

I've been told the lotty is cleared so I guess I just need to prepare the soil and I was thinking just dig in some horse manure and turn the whole thing over? (Although the previous owner apparently kept animals on there so is there any issue that could cause me? (He kept geese and a pig)

Do I need to plan what I'm gonna grow? I've heard about people 'rotating crops'? but I just don't know where to start?

Sorry for all the questions but hey...I'm new...I'm keen and I'm a happy happy lotty owner!!

Cheers

Mick

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Miracles DO happen! I got my allotment...now what?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 13:30 »
that's great news, good time of year to be starting too.

i'd get down there and see just how much or little work needs doing and then decide what you want to grow

Mike.white

• Experienced Member
    • Mike White
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 14:28 »
First bit of advice....... buy yourself John's new book....

(I'm not on commission, honest!!)

Oh, and remember - now lotty - we want pictures when you've been to have a look!!!
For the latest on the BIG project, read my blog.

alfman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 15:28 »

Congrats Mickwood, what a birthday present. What I suggest you do is go down and have a look and measure your plot, then sit down with a pen and paper and write down all the vegies and fruit you and your family love to eat. Next thing is plan what your want to grow and plan where your going to grow it. That way you won't run out of room when your half way through your list. You'll probably do what most of us do and learn as you go along. Everyone here will help. Best of luck.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 15:32 »
to add to what everyone else says, there may be fruit trees/rhubarb/apsparagus bed etc that is already there and you may want to keep. That may change your plot plans.  Decide as said before what you want to grow and eat, then check the info pages on this site and ask away when youve decided what you want to grow
Congrats!!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Elcie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 19:56 »
Excellent news, well done.  I remember how excited I was when I got my plot in July last year.  Still loving every minute of it.  Well, maybe not the weeding!

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 20:47 »
Hi, another good book is Dr. Hessayon's vegetable expert, very informative and very easy to follow. I wouldn't mind a pound for everyone who started with this book.

teflon

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 21:01 »
Hi, another good book is Dr. Hessayon's vegetable expert, very informative and very easy to follow. I wouldn't mind a pound for everyone who started with this book.
[/quote  I ordered this book a few days ago from amazon. About £4 i think.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 17:57 »

Thought I best get the 'before' pictures posted! Not many weeds and stuff but LOADS of rubbish to clear

And just LOOK what someone left here (Not sure if they're coming back to collect it?)

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 18:54 »
Flippin' 'eck what was it like before they cleared it then?  :nowink:
Good job they didn't put the broody coop on the fire! :D
I hate clearing grass, couch or otherwise, so I'd cover the grassy bits with cardboard or black plastic, and start forking over the barer areas. (I don't do digging) The soil should be quite good from the animal droppings so I wouldn't worry too much about manure this year, though if you can't find a source of FYM, you might want to think about growing some green manure(s).
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 19:19 »
I'd cover the grassy bits with cardboard or black plastic, and start forking over the barer areas. (I don't do digging) The soil should be quite good from the animal droppings so I wouldn't worry too much about manure this year, though if you can't find a source of FYM, you might want to think about growing some green manure(s).

So, if I cover the grass it will die so it won't need clearing? I could dig it over straight away? Won't it just grow back and cause more problems, like weeds? (sorry I am a novice - completely and utterly! lol!)

and...FYM?...Farm Yard Manure? I can get hold of well rotted horse manure for next year  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 19:22 »
Pleased you got your plot, Mick.

Doesn't it beggar belief that with so many on waiting lists councils let plots degenerate into such a state?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 20:14 »
Grass does eventually die under cover - but if it's couch grass (thin long white roots like piano wire) then it will take a year or more.  I think it unlikely you will get away without any digging, especially as the ground will need to be prepared at least in the first year.

Before you start digging, try to make a rough plan of what you want to grow where.  You might want to consider leaving permanent planting until the end of the season / start of next, so that you have a year of seeing what the drainage, sun, soil etc is like. 

Then decide what needs to go in first e.g. spuds.  Clear that bit first, get them in, and move on to the next bit.  Make sure you cover up or weedkiller all weeds soon or they'll become triffids.

Yes, FYM is as you say - just check before you get it that the horses weren't fed on grass which had been treated with the herbicide aminopyralid or whose silage was made from hay treated with the stuff when green.  Causes all sorts of problems if it is contaminated.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 11:37 »
Remember when Birthdays involved drinking, loud music, making  fool out of yourself and public nudity?

Oooh those days are long gone...

Parsnip

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:44 »
You don't look too impressed Mick  :lol:

Having just seen the state of your lottie when you first got it :ohmy: I'm never going to moan about weeds again!! ( well not strictly true)

That's shocking  >:( Good on you for taking it on.

xx
what would happen if?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 14:01
by bigsprouts
xx
Leeks, what would happen if..

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 18:42
by debbiedoll
sad
Is this suppose to happen?????

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 19:30
by Woodhousemoor
xx
Manure - what will happen?

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2023, 18:33
by AndyRVTR

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 37 queries.