Spot on for chickens

• 4 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Spot on for chickens
« on: April 05, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi all. I am wondering whether I can use Bayer's "Advocate Spot On Solution" to help prevent lice and other nasties on my chooks? They are new and currently in beautiful condition and I'd like them to stay that way - the lice and mites sound awful.

Needless to say I clean their house out every day and give it a wash with Poultry Shield once a week, plus I dust their nesting box and dustbaths with louse powder (which is scented with lavender oil so they smell like grannies!) but I wondered if spot on would be belt & braces, so to speak.

if I can use it, how much should I apply? A pipette is supposed to treat my 20kg spaniels so presumably I would only put a drop on a chook!

For your delectation, I have attached some pictures of my lovely girls freely ranging in our back garden. I'm so proud!  ::)
IMG_0001_1.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Foxy

Re: Spot on for chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 20:43 »
Hi
If you are regulary using a delousing agent then that should be fine. I would however, recommend Diatom as a lot of louse powders sold are "repellents" as apposed to diatom which will kill any lice/mites on contact and is completely organic to boot.
I would only use solutions such as "Frontline" flea drops for cats with new birds or at a show, or with birds that already have an infestation that is proving hard to eradicate. Although Frontline is not licensed for poultry there is a lot of experience with its use in chickens.
I have not heard of the Bayer's formulation being used so would ask a vet for advice.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 21:42 »
if you use frontline, i take it you would use one small dop on the neck, do you need to leave the eggs for any length of time ?, or can you still eat them ?

martyn

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 21:54 »
if you use frontline, i take it you would use one small dop on the neck, do you need to leave the eggs for any length of time ?, or can you still eat them ?

martyn

The advice we have fro a vet is as follows:

"Frontline doesn't get into animals blood stream so should not affect eggs, but he says that until its poultry licensed he wouldnt like to say for certain, maybe wise to give them 5-7 days to err on the side of caution."

Hope tht helps.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:50 »
Thanks for this. My supplier (the lovely Tracy at Southmead Poultry) sold me some Diatom and I haven't used it yet but will start to do so now.

Are lice and mites seasonal, like ticks on my dogs?

xx
spot on

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 18:27
by andy46
xx
One spot

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 22:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
Spot the Broody.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 02:59
by Trillium
xx
meat spot

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 21:48
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.