rotting onions

• 2 Replies

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
rotting onions
« on: April 05, 2009, 20:07 »
Hi,
 this is my first posting so apologies if this question has already been asked.
Why do my onions never store during the winter months? They seem fine when I hang them up in the cabin, I dry them as much as possible beforehand but they go mushy and rotten under the skin. Any advice is much appreciated.

paintedlady

Re: rotting onions
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:50 »
hello sonnycbr - sorry to hear you are having problems with stored onions, but it sounds like you've been doing the right things.  It could be any number of factors - whether you let them die back naturally, or did you harvest them while still green or on a wet day, ensuring they have dried thoroughly (I don't mean a day or two but a couple of weeks or more?), stored where air and light will get to them, and avoided cold damp conditions.

Some people leave both the old leaves and the roots on, but I will trim the roots back a little at the same time with a gentle thumb test to make sure the base is sound (I have white onion rot on my plot so each onion has to be inspected carefully   >:()  If you trim the dead leaves off, make sure you don't damage the top.  Avoid damaging the onion (eg dropping it) as bruising might start off rotting. 

A tip: always use the biggest up first and the smaller ones until last ... big ones tend to go "off" faster.  And finally, is the variety a good storer?  Some simply don't keep very well.

As mentioned, there is onion rot on my plot but I usually see the damage before storing.  Tell tale signs are white fluffy bits, and a sort of bruised brown staining in the white flesh by the base ... even a small bit spells doom and they cannot be stored.  Perhaps you've have some sort of (mild) onion rot infection where you've been growing them but it wasn't too obvious when you harvested the onions?

Hope you manage to find out the cause - there's nothing worse than finding all your hard work and harvest going to rot.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

Re: rotting onions
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 15:34 »
Another point is the storage conditions: was the room too warm or too cold - either will trigger rot. Was the room too damp or too dry? Same thing again.
Also, if it was a wet growing season the onions will have absorbed too much moisture which detracts from storage ability by hastening rot in any storage conditions.
Storing onions is a real game of chance and you can only keep playing the odds. I've tried every method I came across, including Henry's Hint of searing the onion root bits, but nothing works for me...mine still keep going off by spring.

xx
Rotting onions

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 21:31
by barley
xx
Rotting Onions?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 12:49
by PAULW
xx
Bolted onions rotting at base

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 05:21
by DD.
xx
Rotting Hay

Started by Solitaire on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:08
by woodburner

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 35 queries.