Duck advice nesting girlies sad day now

• 39 Replies

matilda duck

Duck advice nesting girlies sad day now
« on: April 05, 2009, 14:22 »
DON'T GET EXCITED!!!!!!!

Snowy has been acting a bit strange the last couple of days.  Ste said she was sitting on the eggs the other day but forgot to tell me?????  A true accidental forget......

Anyway today she has been quacking so loud that I thought environmental heath were going to turn up.  She has roamed around the coup all day getting in and out of the hens dust bath, going inside to get comfy then out again, Ste went and moved the back shelves to give her more room and she laid by the side of him......he left her egg whilst she got off to have a drink and then to our amazement she got back on and is now making a nest type(bit late isn't it).

She is now sitting on the egg.  I'm a bit worried as we were only talking yesterday about making the ducks their own enclosure now the weather is on our side. 

Questions
1)  She is in a corner but there are going to be chickens about and what about collecting the chicken eggs????

2) i've collected todays other 2 duck eggs can I try and sneek them in?????

3) I'm not sure that Zorro has done the deed? I'm thinking he has????

4) How long should she stay on the eggs as shes on and off it at the moment?

Sorry for such a long post !!!!!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 17:53 by matilda duck »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Duck advice Don't get excited either!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 14:27 »
I know nothing about keeping ducks but just had to say she looks gorgeous and really hope for ducklings to follow!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

matilda duck

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 14:51 »
She is that thankyou sunshineband :D

I don't want anyone getting excited as that'll be it.  I'm not daft this isn't going to work!! ducks arn't the best at raising. :(

Vember

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 15:02 »
Hi MD, all sounds rather exciting :D

If she is a friendly duck who is used to you popping in and out you might be ok getting the chicken eggs.
From what I have read it's best to leave her where she is as if you try and move her she could stop sitting - ( no experience of this as I've left them be where they are)
Dee spent 3/4 days on and off before finally settling down, both her and Titch get off the eggs 3 times a day for as long as 30 mins (weather depending I've found) in which time they go hyper eating, drinking and washing :D Make sure food is near by :)

As to putting more eggs back in, I would suggest you either sneak them in whilst she is off the nest ( I found this worked fine) or late at night (this depends on temperament of the bird, Dee would allow me to do it doubt Titch would! )
I would go with the first option if possible :)

The least amount of disturbance she gets the better now and then fingers crossed in 28 ish days you'll have the pitter patter of tiny webbed feet :D

Is there any straw in her nest?  I would pop some around the outside of the wooden bit if poss, she will drag it in from there and will help keep her in making nest and hatching frame of mind :)

Sorry it's a bit jumbled trying to get the key things, and I'll no doubt remember something else before I'm done :lol:

Sarah:)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 18:50 »
All sounds very exciting and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 21:34 »
Well all this is strange.  Snowy got off the egg(s) I added one of Jemmimas to it and left them.  Snowy didn't seem at all interested and didn't go near them :(   we've just put them to bed locked them up and now Jemmima is sitting on them. :blink:........is this a tag team???       Will keep you all posted but don't get excited....or i'll get excited and that will be trouble :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 21:45 »
It does sound a tad exciting though MD  :)

Vember

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 21:50 »
One thing I have found with the ducks is broodiness is contagious :lol:
Don't panic about the eggs been sat then not sat, duck eggs seem to be able to cope well with this and the process of growing wont start till one of them sit's proper :)

I was sure with the amount of messing Dee did (on for 4-5 hours, off for 3-4 hrs, then sitting all night!) that nothing would come of the eggs. I candled them last week and 8 are growing well :D

sarah :)

matilda duck

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 22:00 »
Oh Oh I'm getting excited now, ::) 
Ha ha early days ...we will have to see what tomorrow brings, and if they lay any eggs and where and who if any is sitting :wacko: and and and and and

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 22:49 »
Well it must be contagious as one of my Campbell's is having a half-hearted attempt at being broody and they are really not ment to be that way inclined!. It's only very half-hearted in that when I have let them out at about 9 - 9.30 while I have been on nights she has been sat on the eggs in a little nest in the house and I have to shoo her off. Doesn't show any interest for the rest of the day.

matilda duck

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 09:57 »
Well got up this morning and Tufty is now sitting?????  I don't really care who sits but it is funny to see this tag team :lol:.  There are 2 more eggs in the nest as I snuck one back in yesterday  4 in total in a beautiful nest.

more questions sorry

Can I mark the eggs so I know what day is what???

How many eggs should I leave for them as we have 3 eggs a day usually??

Was yesterday day 1 or is that today??????

And I brought a bale the other day for them all but i've realised it's HAY not straw. Bit late now I know but will this be a problem??? :(

Sorry for being so thick about all of this!!!!!
Just remember I'm not getting excited about any of this ::)

Vember

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 10:42 »
Which ever girl that's going broody will continue to lay until she decides she has enough eggs.
I would pencil mark the air cell end so you know what's in the nest. If you are still getting 3 a day then she isn't going to start sitting proper for a day or two :) Once you only get 2 eggs a day then you can be more certain that she has started.
When was the last time you had 3 in one day ???

It would be better if you could get the others to lay elsewhere as you could have problems getting them off her also if she ends up with too many in the nest you stand more chance of loosing them due to her not being able to keep them warm.
The other major problem with leaving eggs in after she's started sitting is that duck eggs will only start to grow once the mum is really sitting, this ensures that they will all hatch at the same time. So by leaving eggs in from say Weds/Thurs these will be two or three days behind the others, and Mum will only stay on the nest till the babies are fluffy then she takes them off to water then those eggs that are behind will be left to go cold & die :(

Dee spent so much time farting about that I found it tricky to tell when day one was :lol: Titch was easy went on one night and that was it :D If she's not for shifting apart from the odd 20 mins 2/3 times a day and she hasn't laid for a day or two then I'd go from today :)

TBH I wouldn't use the hay especially if the hens can get to it :)

All over the place yet again  :wacko:

Sarah :D

matilda duck

Re: Duck advice nesting girlies (you may get a bit excited)
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 10:31 »
Well I thought it had gone wrong yesterday as all the ducks stayed off the nest  :(  No-one went on it last night when they went to bed so I thought well thats ducks for you!!!!!!!!

Well this morning I fed them, and popped in as it's so open in the hens house, and there was this very beautiful nest with 2 more eggs in.  One from Jemmima and one from one of the crested (not sure which)  Tufty is now sitting and nest building.....
I wish I could seperate them from the chickens as everytime I put food close by her the chickens gobble it up.....  Maybe have to think something up ???

Anyway enjoy these pics   fingers crossed............

Vember

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:37 »
Fantastic video & what a lovely nest :D

Have they pulled any down off themselves yet ? Couldn't see any in the pic?
They will do just before they start proper :)

Looking good so far :D

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 10:41 »
What a lovely video, she does look comfy doesn't she? fingers crossed she is happy with her nest :tongue2:

xx
Wild duck nesting in the garden

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 11:58
by jamima
xx
advice on nesting box design

Started by slurp on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 20:03
by poultrygeist
xx
chickens sleeping in nesting boxes - advice needed

Started by brownp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:45
by Henlady
xx
Duck advice

Started by neil1967 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2009, 00:08
by neil1967

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 36 queries.