Petrol strimmer trouble

• 9 Replies

woodentop

Petrol strimmer trouble
« on: March 21, 2007, 18:07 »
My 2 year old Robin strimmer is misbehaving. Its really hard to start and when it does go it races then slows in a constant cycle. The throttle seems to have little effect and it conks out. I have changed the park slug, fuel line and filters. It seems to be carb related  but I haven't taken it apart yet. Its a Walbro carb. Any ideas ? Thanx

Model NB2001 2 stroke

Gwiz

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 18:25 »
yes, it sounds like a petrol problem rather than electrics, or it could be a blocked exhaust.
if the fuel you are using is last years, then the fuel in the  tank may have been a bit "off", and some of this has gummed up the tiny tubes and holes in the carb. modern petrol goes off in a surprisingly short time, a mix of two stroke seems to go off even quicker. im sure that one of our chemistry boffins on the site will be able to tell you why.
back to the strimmer, i think if you take the carb off and take it apart/ clean and reassemble carefully, fill with brand spanking new two stroke it should go a lot better but BEFORE going down that road..............................., take the exhaust off and have a look at the exhaust port, just to make sure it isnt too coked up with soot, that can give similar symtoms to the ones you described. :D

woodentop

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 19:41 »
Thanks for the tips. I cleaned the port - nothing to clean really. I then stripped down the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner - again no problems noticed. On starting it was a bit better but still not right. The racing has gone but it is still very hard to start , lacks full revs and conks out. I also replaced the ht lead and cap to no effect. I'm begginning to lose patience with the thing ! Any more suggestions as to what could be wrong ?

Thanks

shaun

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 22:28 »
what oil are you using in your fuel
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Gwiz

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:28 »
well, it can only be a carb problem then. assuming that the carb is mounted onto a short manifold that is in turn mounted onto the side of the cylinder, and asuming that you have checked that the manifold is bolted on tight and the gasket is in good nick, it must be an air/fuel mixture problem. has anyone fiddled about with the mixture screws? does it have one or two adjustment screws? and if so, are they marked H and L?

woodentop

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 14:16 »
I'll have another look. I haven't touched any screws at all on the carb. It has fresh fuel and standard 2 stroke oil at 50:1. I'll try another brand - theres not much left anyway. Thanks for your patience !

Gwiz

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 16:56 »
not at all, think nothing of it. :D

shaun

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 21:09 »
have you tried these one shot 2 stroke oils,theres no faffing about measuring or guessing how much,1 bottle goes into 5ltr of petrol
do a search on e-bay for "2 stroke oil" most hire shops sell them

woodentop

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 17:40 »
Thanks for all the tips. I have ordered a new carb from Ebay in the U.S. It was only £15 inc shipping so its worth a go. Also got a gasket and diaphragm kit. If it doesn't work then I'll give in !

shaun

Petrol strimmer trouble
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 18:48 »
let us know wooden how it goes.i had the same problem and it was a choked exhaust that was on a partner.
£15 is a good price hope it works for yer

xx
Best Petrol Strimmer ?

Started by woodentop on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 09:16
by Digger the Dog
xx
Petrol strimmer

Started by The Golden Heap on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 21:16
by bravemurphy
xx
petrol strimmer

Started by flitwickone on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 09:38
by Flatcat
xx
Petrol Strimmer

Started by RookieJim on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2012, 19:12
by smud6ie

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 36 queries.