Alternative to crocks in growing containers

• 14 Replies

des

Alternative to crocks in growing containers
« on: April 02, 2009, 22:22 »
Hi folks, quick question;

anyone tried using something like felt or old fashioned underlay to line the bottom of growing containers?

Thera are 2 reasons why I ask;

1 - I have dozens of 20 litre containers and I do not relish the idea of messing about with such a large amount of crocks (I don't have any anyway) and having to sort them all out again when emptying containers (spuds).

2 - putting an inch or two of crocks in means that much less growing medium in effect making the container smaller which is a concern for spuds.

I have tried filling some tubs using a small patch of heavy felt like cloth to cover the drainage holes and watered it copiously, it seems to drain ok.

Anyone tried this, or heard about this being done.

(I'm a novice BTW)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Alternative to crocks in growing containers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 22:25 »
It does sound a good idea in theory,but Id check what chemicals may be hanging around (especially in underlay)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 22:28 »
The crocks in pot bottoms is a traditional way of 'doing things'. I myself have no clay pots so I have no broken ones to add to other pots. The idea is simply to keep the drainage area open, so yes, pieces of weed barrier or loose woven burlap (not underlay) over the drainage hole will work just fine, as will some scrunched up polythene or whatever else will keep the soil in and let the water out.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 22:32 »
Ive broken up bits of polystyrene (sp?) packaging before now,and thats worked..as long as its broken up into small enough pieces. I made a boobo a couple of years ago and the roots were checked by the too large bits I put in

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 23:28 »
As Trillium mentioned, I keep any small bits of weed suppresant I may have and pop those in the bottom of any containers I use.  I've used polystyrene on pots that are really big and I don't want to waste too much compost in them.  Polysturene helps bulk the bottom out and helps drainage.

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 23:45 »
You can use corks too if you save them when you open a bottle!
Not that we have many you understand (small lie!!)

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

des

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 07:06 »
Thanks all, will see how it goes this season.

I might go with the corks, reckon I need about 50 in each tub at 50 tubs that's 2500 bottles at £4 a bottle, a snip at £10,000 - will I be able to cope?  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29 »
Thanks all, will see how it goes this season.

I might go with the corks, reckon I need about 50 in each tub at 50 tubs that's 2500 bottles at £4 a bottle, a snip at £10,000 - will I be able to cope?  :lol:

I have used newspaper sheets for years, about three layers thick -- gives you all the growing space in the pot and most things are only in their a season or less. Any trees etc I co crock properly and put a layer of grit in the bottom of the pot as well to help drainage.
Saves fumbling about searching for the corks after imbibing all that wine  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

diggerjoe

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36 »
I just use  a bit of fleece - I  usually have some that is torn in a corner of the shed - good for lining baskets as well - in this case the cheaper sort works better.  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 08:45 »
I Save the old Jcloths used in the kitchen to use in small pots with big holes :)

Well washed out of course!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 13:07 »
Small charcoal chips work well. They are totally fungus resistant and will hold water. If you can find someone nearby who makes charcoal, they may be able to supply pieces sieved at 1/2".

For the top of the pot, bits sieved at 5mm down to 3mm are useful to sprinkle on the top. Here their afungal characteristic is useful. Damping off is a problem, and we found that charcoal chips on trays of Basil seedlings completely stopped the problem.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 13:10 by oldbean »

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 17:05 »
Fantastic ideas as usual folks. Read somewhere recently that for large pots you can put upturned (Or should that be downturned!) small plastic pots over the drainage holes.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 19:33 »
Small charcoal chips work well. They are totally fungus resistant and will hold water. If you can find someone nearby who makes charcoal, they may be able to supply pieces sieved at 1/2".

For the top of the pot, bits sieved at 5mm down to 3mm are useful to sprinkle on the top. Here their afungal characteristic is useful. Damping off is a problem, and we found that charcoal chips on trays of Basil seedlings completely stopped the problem.
An excellent idea - I suppose you could use the small dusty bits from barbecue charcoal as well. Thnaks for the tip  :)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 21:36 »
The smaller the bits, the less volume there will be in any one sample. For example, it would be difficult to find much more than a mug full (maybe two) from a bag of charcoal. This is why it would be handy to find someone who makes it. From a large kiln, they will get about six buckets of 3-5mm. and maybe twice that of 10-15mm. Powder could be recovered too, but few makers will have the kit needed for this.

Charcoal is very stable, it will stay in the soil for centuries, so with small sizes, it is useful for permanently opening up heavy soil.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 21:44 »
Thank you, oldbean

xx
Growing in containers

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 10:37
by AdrianH
xx
Growing In Containers

Started by JeanetteCoulson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 15:47
by Ice
xx
Growing gooseberries in containers

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 15:51
by Kevin67
question
Vine growing in containers

Started by Robplot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 16:57
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 38 queries.