Greencone

• 35 Replies

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Greencone
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 13:27 »
Hi Dave, yes I am in north Leicester (Birstall) and have been looking into the green cone for a while, but like you I am a bit nervous with the idea, I don't much fancy any possibilty of rats!
But I also love the idea of being  able to get rid of the kids  leftovers (It is the big diet no-no to finish them off!!) and bones etc.

am thinking that the slight subsidy of £49 isn't too bad........ no too sure yet!

MrsMak

Greencone
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 13:32 »
helped herself to beans on toast, using a full tin, then left over half on her plate.

That's not just wasteful, it's plain RUDE!  
Even composting eatable food is an unforgivable waste.

I tend to agree; but there are always the bones!  Also my OH was brought up to waste nothing, which means if there are any leftovers he feels he has to eat them, hungry or not, then wonders why his weight is always going up!  When he cooks, he over-estimates by miles and then tries to eat it all; I think it's better to cook a sensible amount and then freeze any reasonable amounts left over.
Would-be organic but still learning!

Trillium

Greencone
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 00:45 »
Interesting that the talk has swayed to Green cones. I was at a big gardening seminar today and the host municipality has begun carrying Green Cones for sale to area residents. I asked a lot of questions, having seen this thread lately, and if our area carries them, I plan to buy one. But you need to know a few tricks that may or may not be mentioned when purchasing one. The basket like base must be buried in the soil - but any sod around it must be rolled back a bit before digging then when the base is in place, you roll the sod up over the green edge that holds the black and green parts together, trim off excess that would ride up the sides but enough must be left to cover the screw in joins. Then some heavy stones should be placed to rest on the join lip so that creatures can't push it over for easy access. The unit runs by solar power so you must locate it in a fairly sunny area, and a start up with accelerant is needed for the first load of scraps, whatever.  There is no smell to the composting process - until you drive the first spade into the compost itself, but it quickly passes and a moisy loamy compost is available in 4-6 months, depending on how much fresh stuff is added. 2 Green Cones would be the idea working situation, just as regular bins are. They're nicely compact for people with limited space - not quite my problem, but they're tidy nonetheless.    :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Greencone
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 02:02 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I've been pestering my council for over a year for one but no luck, apparently they have decide we are going to get yet another bin! so tough luck we cant have one unless we buy one our selves.

Rich, are you in the city council as opposed to county? The county was trialling them, but I missed out. I have been emailing about them too, and they do look interested, but no major subsidey yet!
The city council seem dreadful in comparison to the county council, with nappy cashback etc.

No I'm in the county harborough side ( Scraptoft ), tried city council as well but no luck. I think Harborough and Leicester city are joining forces for the food collection bin thing.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Greencone
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 12:38 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Hi Dave, yes I am in north Leicester (Birstall) and have been looking into the green cone for a while, but like you I am a bit nervous with the idea, I don't much fancy any possibilty of rats!
But I also love the idea of being  able to get rid of the kids  leftovers (It is the big diet no-no to finish them off!!) and bones etc.

am thinking that the slight subsidy of £49 isn't too bad........ no too sure yet!

With the basket part being underground (providing this has been done properly does not attract rats, well mine hasnt anyway, and Ive had it in the ground for a few months.  even though my soil is well drained, I decided to place gravel underneath and around the basket, to doubly make sure that the degrade would disperse easily and not build up, for the very reason of rat problems.  But touch wood nothing, so happy I am with my green cone.  Making sure it is placed in a free draining area is key, If it is placed in an area where it can get water logged is a no no, If clay is a problem then making sure you have dug a substantial hole to incorporate the basket with gravel/pebbles etc is a must.
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 10:58 »
Just over a month on from this post I have found instructions to make your own greencone type composter   Homemade food digester Theres a link about halfway down the page to a homemade scrap food digester.

mkhenry

Greencone
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 21:38 »
Thanks for that Link RR7.I was all for a cone until I read the link. Standing water and Heavy Clay are a bit of a no no. Ive got both,so you saved me a lot of work and trouble. :D
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 21:44 »
Me too with the heavy clay, no standing water tho' we have a brook at the side of the house !  but the enviroment agency has kindly re-classified it as a main river ! all 2 foot wide and 1 1/2 inch deep of it   :?

mkhenry

Greencone
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 21:53 »
I have a very large property next to me and the suface water runs off and over and under my land. I have a small spring popping up at times and disappearing then popping up at another spot.Last year it washed away most of my small amount of crops.I have walked down my garden path and sunk into a small void that the water has washed away. Later this year it is being trenched and French Drained to help cure the problem. :(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 21:56 »
French drains hard work that ! you doing it or someone else ?

mkhenry

Greencone
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 22:01 »
Contractor.Some of the work is on public land some on mine.I am the only one affected but the Local Authority own the land next door so they have got to foot the bill. If it was left to me I could not dig a 3" hole let alone a French Drain. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 22:09 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
but the Local Authority own the land

That's lucky, at least you haven't got to pay for it your self.  :D

mkhenry

Greencone
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 22:14 »
But its taken 3 years :(

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 22:18 »
Quick then for local authority then  :lol:  Sounds like ours they are all the same cr@p ! all talk and inaction.  :x

mkhenry

Greencone
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 22:23 »
Trouble is they say they are going to do it this summer. no starting dates yet

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 28 queries.