Greencone

• 35 Replies

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
    • http://redwelliesandco.blogspot.com
Greencone
« on: March 21, 2007, 15:52 »
If you are interested in the bokashi systems, there is another on offer, called the greencone, which normally retails at £65.00, however if your council are taking part in a subsidised scheme, then they are going for £9.95.  Works on a similar principle as bokashi, but degrades straight into the soil, as it is partially dug in and the top two thirds are in the shape of large green cone (hence the name)

click on the link below, go to the council subsiduary link and then type in your postcode to see if they are participating.

www.greencone.com

Ive got one and it works, so if anyone can get the cheaper one, go for it.
My Blog  www.redwelliesandco.blogspot.com

A force to be reckoned with

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Greencone
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 16:00 »
Tried my area and my daughter's in Kent, but no luck with our Councils doing anything like this!!!

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
Greencone
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 16:04 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Tried my area and my daughter's in Kent, but no luck with our Councils doing anything like this!!!

Everybody should get onto their council and demand it, as they susidise compost bins also they are about £12.99 for a 300 ltr.  Sorry you cant get it, Id get one for you but they only allow one per household.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Greencone
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 16:09 »
That's why I tried it on my daughter's postcode too.  I thought if we could get one on her address, I could pay for it, because she won't use one.  She is just happy to put her bits in the council bin!

I could try contacting the local Council, but they are not very user friendly.  You wouldn't believe how little we are allowed to put in our blue recycling bin!!!!

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
Greencone
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 16:15 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
That's why I tried it on my daughter's postcode too.  I thought if we could get one on her address, I could pay for it, because she won't use one.  She is just happy to put her bits in the council bin!

I could try contacting the local Council, but they are not very user friendly.  You wouldn't believe how little we are allowed to put in our blue recycling bin!!!!

Obviously some councils are better than others in the areas of "being green", well if you know anyone in the east sussex county council area, perhaps they can help!  I thought the availability would be much more than it obviously is, as I got the link from the independant news paper sometime back

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Greencone
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 21:10 »
I've been pestering my council for over a year for one but no luck, apparently they have decide we are going to get yet another bin! so tough luck we cant have one unless we buy one our selves.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

fluffypebble

Greencone
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 21:16 »
Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield councils don't subsidise them.  Don't know anyone from another area so no go for me too.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 21:23 »
Quote from: "fluffypebble"
Leeds, Bradford and Wakefield councils don't subsidise them.  Don't know anyone from another area so no go for me too.

Just been on the green cone web site and it redirected me to recyle now and if you enter your post code you get the usual bin list, but there's an "additional bin" button that takes you to even more with green cones at £49.

fluffypebble

Greencone
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 21:36 »
Thats good but there is a big difference between £49 and £10 (which is what I paid for the normal compost bin) and I do have 3 dogs so food waste is minimal, but if they did the cones for ten or fifteen quid I would get one.

How can they justify the expense? Or are the manufacturers just on the green recycle bandwagon to make as much dosh as possible.

Sorry for being so negative, bad day.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Greencone
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 21:42 »
Quote from: "fluffypebble"

Sorry for being so negative, bad day.

S'alright know how you feel  :D  think your right tho' about the green band wagon.

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
Greencone
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
I've been pestering my council for over a year for one but no luck, apparently they have decide we are going to get yet another bin! so tough luck we cant have one unless we buy one our selves.

Rich, are you in the city council as opposed to county? The county was trialling them, but I missed out. I have been emailing about them too, and they do look interested, but no major subsidey yet!
The city council seem dreadful in comparison to the county council, with nappy cashback etc.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Greencone
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 08:00 »
Quote from: "loubylou29"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Rich, are you in the city council as opposed to county? The county was trialling them, but I missed out. I have been emailing about them too, and they do look interested, but no major subsidey yet!
The city council seem dreadful in comparison to the county council, with nappy cashback etc.

I take it babylou that you are also in Leicester/shire. Apparantly Charnwood were trialing them, but I never saw any notice at the time. However, there's something inside that's holding me back from composting meat & the like. Can't really explain it, I suppose it may be years of being told not to!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

MrsMak

Greencone
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 08:38 »
However, there's something inside that's holding me back from composting meat & the like. Can't really explain it, I suppose it may be years of being told not to!!

I'm just the opposite.  I hate having to put meat and stuff in the bin!  I've been watching the green cone/bokashi debate with interest, because I'd love to be able to safely turn it into something useful (other than extra body fat on myself and OH, of course!)
They are expensive, though, so I'll have to wait till our council cottons on or they come down in price.  I have to say, our local council does good deals on water butts and ordinary compost bins, so there's always some hope!
Would-be organic but still learning!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Greencone
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 08:43 »
Portion control is the way forward!!!!!!!!

Even composting eatable food is an unforgivable waste.

Apologies for the rant - for the second day running, my daughter's friend who is staying with us, has helped herself to beans on toast, using a full tin, then left over half on her plate. Obviously never heard of using half tin today & the rest tomorrow!

Redwellies

• Experienced Member
The green cone
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 12:29 »
Is there any one out there that has managed to get hold of a subsidised greencone? :D

Page created in 0.966 seconds with 29 queries.