Eggs

• 4 Replies

wadz81

• Experienced Member
Eggs
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:38 »
I've been reading all the posts on here and I have decided to put queen Margo on a diet, :wub:I think she has stopped laying but I have been giving her porridge in the morning coz it's been cold! Today I threw layer pellets so they think they're still getting a treat and will give them a little something when I get home but Margo followed me then when she realised she went off to sulk in the corner :unsure: have I done the right thing she's my favourite girlie and I don't want us falling out! :(

Vember

Re: Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:05 »
I make sure mine have a good supply of pellets for throughout the day and then just give them a handful of corn at night, they are happy enough :D

They have the odd treat but to be honest as the bird numbers increase the treats slow down :lol:
All mine get is dried meal worms and on very special days some corn on the cob :D

Sarah :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 10:14 »
She'll get over it!

Chickens are quick to learn (surprisingly  :blink:) and if it's a choice between eating pellets and starving to death then they'll soon be eating up all of the pellets you put down for them!

Mine only get stuff like porridge on days when the ground is actually frozen over; otherwise it's a handfull of wheat thrown into the run for them to scratch about and find.

They may have become a bit podgy over winter if they've had porridge every day and don't forget, even though they are much smaller than us, their body temperature is actually a few degrees higher than ours so they can stand the cold much more than we can!

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:20 »
Thanks I feel reassured now and I'm sure when I get home Margo will have stopped sulking bless!:)

treacleminer

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 16:58 »
When I give mine porridge (when the ground is frozen & I feel sorry for them) - I don't actually give porridge oats but mix part of their ration of layers pellets with hot water - sometimes with added poultry spice - which they seem to like almost as much :D

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 36 queries.