Best Practice re: Propagator Use

• 10 Replies

Markjp

Best Practice re: Propagator Use
« on: March 31, 2009, 18:27 »
Hi, I have been growing my vegetables from seeds in a propagator for a few years now, but there is one thing I am confused about.

When should I open the vent on the propagator and by how much?

In previous years I have almost daily poured away the condensation that forms on the lid, should I do this?

Anybody tell me what the best practice is.

Many thanks

Mark
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 19:22 by Markjp »

franmeerkat

Re: Propagator Vent - When to use?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 19:41 »
Hi Mark - I'm absolutely no expert so others will correct me...
Is it a heated propagator? I'm using one for the first time this year, and I've kept the vents open and, like you, poured the condensation out when it gets too wet. I've been growing tomato and chilli seedlings in mine, and so far have avoided any damping off. If your method has worked over the years, keep on with it!  :)

Markjp

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 19:08 »
I'm using a heated window sill propagator with 7 mini trays.

Another question I have is last year on a couple of the seed trays when the seedlings had germinated I took them off the heat and removed the lids, within a few hours the seedlings had flopped over, I quickly replaced the lid and luckily they recovered.

What did I do wrong? Did I remove the lid too early?

Also any more views on the general ventilation of propagators?

Thanks

Mark

penance

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 20:09 »
As soon as they poke their heads thru the compost get the lid off but leave them on the heated propogator.
I suspect where it went wrong was removing the lid and remving the trays from the propogator.

I use the same type of heated prop and have done for the last 3 years. Mine is in our porch which gets sun for around 4 hours a day at this time of year but good light the rest of the time. I do as I mentioned above.

If you leave the lid on when they have poked there heads up then it becomes to humid, lid off allows airflow but the heat from the bottom is a help.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:35 »
Dunno if I'm doing it right ... but my method is:

Sow, lid on, vent closed.  Condensation allowed to run back on to the soil.

As soon as germinated vent open, lid kept on, tray kept on propagator.

Larger seedlings (Toms, Cues etc.) will be pricked out within a few day. I take the lid off for a day or so before pricking out so they acclimatise to less humidity.

For smaller seedlings, which need to be in the seed tray for longer, there is risk of damping off, so I remove lid after a few days, and move the tray off the propagator (and into greenhouse) to encourage them to grow.  I only water the trays from the bottom (plunge in a bowl for a while, but they don't drink a lot, and it isn't hot enough, yet, to dry the trays out very quickly, so only need to water about twice a week).

But I've lost a tray of Petunias from damping off nonetheless - about 3 weeks after they were sown, and not quite ready / big enough for transplanting

Markjp

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 20:25 »
As soon as they poke their heads thru the compost get the lid off but leave them on the heated propogator.
I suspect where it went wrong was removing the lid and remving the trays from the propogator.

I use the same type of heated prop and have done for the last 3 years. Mine is in our porch which gets sun for around 4 hours a day at this time of year but good light the rest of the time. I do as I mentioned above.

If you leave the lid on when they have poked there heads up then it becomes to humid, lid off allows airflow but the heat from the bottom is a help.

How long should I leave the seed tray on the propagator with bottom heat after removing the lid?

Mark

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 20:34 »
What have you got growing there, markjp - it can sometimes make a difference
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 20:36 »
Generally I leave mine on the propagator until they are pricked out / potted on. Except for seeds that produce tiny plants I prick them out as soon as they appear - i.e. if I can pick them up by their cotyledons.  My theory is that if I leave them in the seed tray they may damp-off. For seed that produces smaller plants I often move the seed tray into the greenhouse during the day so it gets more light than being on the windowsill - to stop the seedlings becoming leggy.

Markjp

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 21:49 »
I'm growing Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Chilli & Sweet Peppers at the moment.

Also whats the best thing to do if a few seeds have germinated but the rest havent, do you take the lid off the propagator to avoid those that have germinated from going leggy and risk the rest not germinating or do you keep the lid on for a few more days to see if more seeds germinate?

I always thought that you waited for the first true leaves to develop on a seedling before transplanting. Have I got that wrong Kristen?

Mark

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 06:36 »

I always thought that you waited for the first true leaves to develop on a seedling before transplanting. Have I got that wrong Kristen?

That's what it says in the book, but if the seed leaves / Cotyledons are big enough for me to handle them I go ahead pretty much straight away.

Just looking at my records for a couple of things this year:

Chilli Peppers sown on 15-Feb, germinated on 05-Mar and I pricked out on 12-Mar (so before the first true leaves)

Tomatoes sown 15-Feb were pricked out on 28-Feb - I didn't record the germination date, but I reckon about 10 days as they were not on a propagator

Only things I haven't done early were Celeriac, Lobellia and Petunia which are too small to handle (and the Petunia damped off :()

Celeriac sown 02-Mar-2009, Germinated 12-Mar, Pricked out 04-Apr-2009

All the plants look fine - so not sure if one method is better than the other?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:12 »
I generally wait until the first two leaves form, but only with the bigger seed as these are easily sown without crowding. As mentioned with smaller seed you may have to do this sooner as the seedlings are vying for space and can become spindly for this reason as they are blocking light from each other.

Always take the seeds out of a propagator or take the lid off as soon as the first ones germinate. This does not mean the others won't, but the first lot will be weak & leggy if you don't.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Strange practice

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 14:52
by Zippy
clip
When to take the lid off the propagator?

Started by cadalot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 18:06
by cadalot
xx
Which propagator?

Started by janeheritage on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 13:56
by DD.
xx
Propagator

Started by Armleywhite on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2013, 18:00
by Pimento

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 36 queries.