Fox Trap... Any ideas

• 27 Replies

too many girls

Re: Fox Trap... Any ideas
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 18:52 »
i think hen plans on catching it and sending it many many miles away, not killing it, if another fox moves into the territory at least it won't have had a taste of her chickens, i can't pen mine in, i just keep my fingers crossed.

Sparr0wman

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 19:09 »
After building my coop and run i found out a niegbour has chickens ( i never knew they were so popular) She lets the free range around the garden, or whats left of it ::)
And i had an aweful thought, " well if mr FOX comes round he'll be too full after eating your chickens to be bothered about mine" I know, as i said it was a "nasty thought".
I remember when i was young my uncle would come into his farmhouse , he's grab is rifle and mumble something about foxes. I just thought it was naturaly accepted that foxes were pests when it comes to farming and livestock?
what allotmant said may be abit extreme and not kosher but give him the benifit of the doubt, he may have been thinking the same thing as me. kill the fox before it kills your chickens. Am i wrong?
p.s i do not condone alottmentsheds suggestion.  I'd keep those thoughts to yourself mate.

poultrygeist

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 19:15 »
There's a lot of members who believe in killing foxes which is their right if they do it humanely within the law.
It was the methods that were being criticized.
My belief is that killing an animal that will adjust its survival rate to compensate is a waste of effort and of no practical benefit except in extreme circumstances.

But as long as the method is humane and legal i wouldn't condemn someone for it.

Rob

karlooben

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 19:54 »
i watched a progamme sometime last year cant remember what it was called and the peeps on there had probs with a fox and her mate { no chickens or other livestock involed }. they lived in london somewhere an really hated the noise these foxes made so they paid for a gamekeeeper tpye bloke to come round an kill them , well he shot them dead  while they were mating it was so sick to watch . but on that progamme and the guy said it that its illegal for anyone but a liscenced  person to kill a fox . aslo for some reasons the woman who  runs my yard was worried that the foxes would round up the horses an hurt them { hahaha doubt that somehow } so she caled someone out to shot them dead and he said the same thing.

what u have to remember if u do kill them yourselves is that they can carry all tpyes of dieasses so just be carefull if u take that route as u dont want yourselves to be come ill.
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 21:48 »
THANKYOU... THANKYOU... THANKYOU  :D everyone for all your suggestions. AND please dont worry any of you i am not going to bleach, club, snare or any other cruel or ilegal savage distrubution of the darn fox. I am 100% sure he/she cant get in our coup. But i would love to be able to leave our lovely hens to free range for a couple of hours when i get in from work, but i dare not.
I am going to check out some sites and will keep you all posted.

Many thanks again

HENrietta  ;)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 21:51 »
Foxes are a problem which always causes heated debate  :(

8doubles

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 22:38 »
Lets say you catch it  humanely ( my spelling is awefull, not sure if i have just made that word up :lol: ) What are you going to do with the fox when you have it?
Good job i didn't post my suggestion of "beat it with a large club" :tongue2: I'm just kidding!!!

Though knocking it on the head may sound brutal it is a far quicker death than nature gives to most foxes, disease or starvation. The majority do not die in 'old foxes homes'.
A lot of injured small animals are subjected to pain and stress just so they can be driven to the vets and be put 'to sleep' with a so called humane injection. A case of the persons feelings being more important than the suffering animal.
Yes to a fast kill ..............No to poison or snares .

alotment shed

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 20:05 »
ok i have diffrent veiws on foxes. maybe you could catch it in a net and keep it and relise it so it comes back again ...wow that shouds a good idea. or maybe goes back in to the wild has cubs then goes and hassels more peoples chickens down the road . what ever way you look at it there a pain and if they kill my chickens that i love and use for egges then as far as im aware they should die. thats just my views , also if kids get near a fox hole or litter the fox will attack the child, thats why i think they should be killed by any way possible . im sorry if my veiws afend any one . and i know they are diffrent to everyone elses on here. but with experance of liveing on a farm i know what trubble they cause and distrucion.

Vember

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 20:07 »
What if another animal like say a dog or cat eats what your suggesting?

alotment shed

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 20:16 »
if its on a alotment like mine then theres no dogs or  cats around for miles so would be no problem for me.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 20:18 »
I think most people have now had the oppertunity to post their feeling on this thread and hopefully those who answered HENrietta's question about HUMANE fox traps have helped. In my opinion this should now be locked if the mods agree.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 20:29 »
if its on a alotment like mine then theres no dogs or  cats around for miles so would be no problem for me.

But I thought it was a dog attacked your chicken on the allotment.  Did you have the dog put down ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 20:35 »
A number of members have requested that this topic be locked as it is a topic that can easily get out of hand and cause bad feeling, but I would like to know about the dog attack on the chook first.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 23:10 by Aunt Sally »

xx
Fly Trap

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 16:50
by janet12000
xx
i have got a trap for rat

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:40
by karlooben
xx
Fox Trap.

Started by pennsylvania planters on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 08:33
by cathangirl
clip
fly trap

Started by Mrs Bee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 13:22
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.