Fox Trap... Any ideas

• 27 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Fox Trap... Any ideas
« on: March 30, 2009, 22:06 »
Hi all, hope you are all well on this what has been a nice long day! Does anyone have any ideas on how we can make a humane fox trap. We have two foxes that visit every single day. And my family and I are sick of them >:(. WE lost one of young girls in Feburary  :( and now they have a taste for my lovely ladies. I feel they cant rest in day llight(the hens), we only let them out when we are watching them like a hawk. Any ideas would be greatly appreiciated. I dont want them to be cooped up all day.
I realise that this wont elimanate the foxes that come and some will take its place, but at least it wont know what mine taste like!!!!

Thanks alot

HENrietta :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

shiatsusu

Re: Fox Trap... Any ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 22:11 »
Don't know about human traps Hen, but sorry to hear you're living in fear. You don't have a woof you can train to keep an eye on the girls do you? Our pup has taken on the role and I must admit I worry less knowing he's out in the garden with them. Good luck  :)

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 23:14 »
A wire door that will drop and lock on a wheelie bin seems the cheapest and least suspicious option if they are the bin raiding type.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 23:16 by 8doubles »

alotment shed

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 23:55 »
ok this msy sound bad  but............   if you get a tin of dog food put it on the floor near run and put bleach on it then rap it in dog food again the fox will just eat it . and then you will find a dead fox :)   or snear traps work good . what ever way use tined wet dog food they love it . and you can possion them with  it . any more ideas just reply . i have lots ha ha

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:37 »
I'm afraid we can't recommend that method 'alotment shed'.  It would be very cruel to poison them like that and hence illegal !

too many girls

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:11 »
i don't think i want to hear any more of your getting rid of foxes methods Ollie, i don't like foxes much either but poisoning them with bleach and snaring are down right cruel.

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 10:26 »
Do the foxes always use the same entrance -exit if so you could buy a net to drop across after they have arrived and bolt them into it.
You will also need a hero with a stout pair of gloves and despatching tool.

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:47 »
Take a look here HENrietta. Gives you all the info you need and a place where you can buy humane fox traps. Although the site is not for the same situation you are in the Fox Control methods are the same and also the legallitys. The water scarecrow seems a good method and seems to work

http://www.oxfordcroquet.com/care/foxes/index.asp
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 10:50 by hindy »
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 13:18 »
Have you read some of the ideas in our sticky on foxes ?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

There's a few more links you could read to understand their behaviour and decide on the best method then. Know thine enemy ! :)

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 13:23 »
ok this msy sound bad  but............   if you get a tin of dog food put it on the floor near run and put bleach on it then rap it in dog food again the fox will just eat it . and then you will find a dead fox :)   or snear traps work good . what ever way use tined wet dog food they love it . and you can possion them with  it . any more ideas just reply . i have lots ha ha

I think the methods you describe are unlawful and cruel,  causing suffering not only to foxes, but to cats and dogs in the local area. Snares are particulary dangerous.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 17:23 »

What do you mean, it may sound bad?  It is a downright disgraceful suggestion.  And I cannot believe you think it's funny too.

I sincerely hope that no-one takes your suggestions seriously or they will find themselves in trouble with the police and courts.  Not to mention banned from keeping any animals, even if they are not imprisoned.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 18:09 »
i am not going to say anything about the post alotment shed made as i am a big lover of foxes and u guyss have said it all but i wouldnt say it quite so nicely . theres only one real way of stopping the fox an thats to build a very very sercure run , my girls are on a allotment site and a lot of the time they are pretty much on their own and i have to now let them out in the dark in the mornings as i start work very early so far my run has proven very very fox proof . i dont worry about the foxes as at the end of the day as its been mentioned loads on here that they are only doing what they know best , certain things in the animal kingdom go hand in hand all we can do is try and protect what we have . but by no means do we have to be cruel to do it . u can call in a game keeper who is liecenced to deal with probelm foxes but i doubt it will last very long and you'll soon have another one take its place but what ever u decide to do be carefull of neighbours etc getting wind of what u could have planned theres some funny ppl out there .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 18:18 »
Very good advice Looby ;)

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 18:37 »
thanks foxy  not bad for a beginner  :lol: :lol:. i can admit that until last august bank holiday i had never eeven touched a chicken let alone home one but i jumped rite in at the deep end ,and got 14  hehehehe. not sure who was worse on making the run solid me or my mum .

Sparr0wman

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 18:45 »
Lets say you catch it  humanely ( my spelling is awefull, not sure if i have just made that word up :lol: ) What are you going to do with the fox when you have it? :blink:

Good job i didn't post my suggestion of "beat it with a large club" :tongue2: I'm just kidding!!!

xx
i have got a trap for rat

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:40
by karlooben
xx
Fox Trap.

Started by pennsylvania planters on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 08:33
by cathangirl
clip
fly trap

Started by Mrs Bee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 13:22
by ANHBUC
xx
Fly Trap

Started by Flowerpower136 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 16:50
by janet12000

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 29 queries.