What to plant pot ready grafted Dasher tomatoes into?

• 2 Replies

jamesbrownontheroad

We have some grafted 'turbo' tomatoes on order from Dobies this year; am intrigued to see if they work in our little greenshed (aka the shed that thinks it's a greenhouse, which is already nice and warm). They'll be delivered as three pot ready plants (up to 13cm tall) in late April or Early May.

This weekend I also managed to salvage three white plastic fish containers off the allotment skip... these are the large, sturdy crates used by trawlermen to load their catch. They seem about the right size to use as containers in our shed (which does not have access to the soil beneath it) and have plenty of holes in the base for drainage. What sort of compost / soil mix should we go for to get these babies shooting up? Would emptying the contents of some grow bags do the trick or is there a cheaper / smarter / better option?

Thanks!

paintedlady

Re: What to plant pot ready grafted Dasher tomatoes into?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 12:44 »
I reckon everyone has their own magic mix, but the contents of growbags sounds good, maybe dig in some sand, enrich it a bit with some other compost, a bit of manure (I confess that nearly all my toms get some pelletted chicken manure tossed in the planting hole for good measure) Be aware that greenhouses/"shed" can get very warm on a roasting hot day, so composts can get dry a lot quicker than you would anticipate, so you might want to consider other measures as well to ensure moisture retention.

Good luck with your grafted tomatoes - it sounds exciting  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

jamesbrownontheroad

Re: What to plant pot ready grafted Dasher tomatoes into?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 17:51 »
Thanks! Found a fourth matching crate yesterday so we have a set that fills the width of the shed perfectly. We also have a surplus of chicken manure pellets (why can't they be sold in smaller quantities ?!?!?!?) so will give each tub a couple of generous handfuls.

xx
Grafted Tomatoes

Started by wapello on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2017, 11:37
by Aidy
xx
grafted tomatoes

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 04:16
by chriscross1966
xx
Grafted tomatoes

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2010, 20:40
by lightyears
xx
Grafted Tomatoes

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 16:50
by Totty

Page created in 0.719 seconds with 36 queries.