Hi again and seed question

• 6 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
Hi again and seed question
« on: March 29, 2009, 14:33 »
Hi all,
I haven't been around for quite a while, partly because it's been winter, but mainly because I have been having MAJOR works done on the house and my time has been taken up with that.
I've managed to get onto the plot a fair bit in the last couple of weeks and I've been amazed how easy it's been to get the beds weeded and ready this year, so all my hard work over the last 2 years seems to have paid off!  :)
Anyway, enough rambling, here's the question!
I have some courgette, sweetcorn, cucumber and pumpkin seeds. When would be the best time to sow them, in an unheated greenhouse? Is it still a bit too early? It doesn't say on the packets, just "sow in heat in 3"inch pots blah, blah, blah".
The last couple of years I've always bought small plants from the GC as I never had time for seeds, too busy weeding, digging, crying, swearing.... you get the drift!

Any advice appreciated!
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
Re: Hi again and seed question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 17:22 »
I've just sown cukes and courgettes in modules but under a plastic lid, and otherwise unheated, in our livingroom; I don't think I'd trust the temperature in my unheated greenhouse just yet. Sweetcorn came up last Wednesday after 3 days of being on the coffeetable; I did those in biodegradable pots in a seed tray so I don't have to disturb the roots.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 20:54 »
Hi, my advice, buy a propogator it'll change your gardening life.

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 21:07 »
would think right now is a good time to be planting seeds in an unheated greenhouse - just make sure they have a bit of shading so they don't get scorched overheated in the middle of the day.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 21:17 »
I'd have thought the seed packets should at least provide some indication of what sort of heat is needed to germinate the seeds.

Things like peppers etc do like a constant, warm temperature and thus the fluctuations and lows of an unheated greenhouse (we're still getting frosts).

Some seeds will therefore want a propagator, others won't.

Can't be much more use on unheated greenhouse sowing times, sorry  :blush:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 21:38 »
I'd hang fire a little while longer yet, mine went in yesterday, but I have a heated propagator and a heated greenhouse. Give it a couple of weeks but we can still get a frost right up to June so it's worth keeping a close eye on the weather forecast.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 21:44 »
Cukes need heat, and lots of it, to germinate.  Think on a shelf over a radiator in your warmest room.  Squashes are less picky, but still like a warm room.  Sweetcorn ditto, and doesn't like to get pot-bound before you plant it out.  Also, they all grow quickly and will get unmanageable if you try to keep them indoors for more than about a month.  Do you have a min-max thermometer in your greenhouse?  If not, pop out at dawn to see what the overnight drops too - at this time of year it may not be many degrees above freezing.

xx
Seed bed question

Started by Jonajo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 23:27
by Salmo
xx
Seed Question

Started by littleorchard on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 18:16
by flowerlady
xx
Ok seed question with pic

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 02, 2014, 20:55
by surbie100
xx
Seed sowing question.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 11:54
by Growster...

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 28 queries.