can you sell chickens ? do you need any licences ? chicken sellers help please

• 25 Replies

alotment shed

i wouldnt do it fo the money i wake up every day at 7 go down to the chicckens at 9.30 and stay there till 4 in the afternoon every day rain sun  or lighting  i make there area clean every day i make pens bigger i make them new thing to paly with and all of my girls are hand tame . and the buff orpington even follow me back home lol and stay in the kitchen at  night she bit to tame lol . i realy love my chickens i spend more time with them than i do any think else . there my life . i wanted to start selling tho thats all . just so every one can have the expernce i get from enjoying them . and have there own storys and entetainment and eggs

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
i wouldnt do it fo the money 

How is it then, that you mentioned making money or profit in 4 of your posts on this thread?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

poultrygeist

How is your poorly hen getting on btw ?

Has she healed yet and is there any infection at all ?

Rob 8)

alotment shed

d d i obvously need to make profit there is no point in me buying a hen for 12 pound and selling it for 7 is there .think you need to make money thats why its called a buissness isnt it. if i give them away i would be a charity ? so there is your awnser ...there things i need to think about ...

Ice

• muck spreader
Maybe it would be an idea to visit your bank and get help with writing a business plan.  You would then be able to work out exactly if your idea is a viable one.  That's what I would do if I wanted to start a small business, even if it was part hobby/part business.
Cheese makes everything better.

poultrygeist

You're coming across as sarcastic now alotment shed. DD was merely pointing out that you were asking about making money by sellign chickens, then said you weren't going to do it for the money, so he was pointing out the confusion in your posts.

If you ask for advice, don't be surprised if it isn't always the answers you hope for and please don't be sarcastic towards other members, especially forum mods. The advice given is sound if you want to keep and/or sell poultry.

Rob

alotment shed

yeah i know it just seems like every one doesnt think its a good idea starting chickens up as a buissness . well i sopose i shouldnt ask for awnsers if i dont want to here them lol yeah im sorry for the way i was :(   hope i didnt cause any offense sorry

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
No offence taken by anyone I'm sure.

We have many keen chicken keepers here and they just like to know that birds are being well looked after and that the motives of keepers are good and have the welfare of the birds at heart.

poultrygeist

It really is one of the hardest things these days to make a go of. It's easy enough to churn out chickens with lice and mites and viruses but healthy, happy hens as a profitable business are really difficult unless you do it by the hundred and work hard at it.
I don't doubt you can work hard but if you keep it below the 50 mark, your outlays will always be very close to your income, if not more. If it was that easy there'd be a lot more poeple on here doing it.
The problem with typing on forums is that you can't always tell the way someone means something. I realise you're probably feeling a bit got at by all the negative replies but no-one's going to lie to you on here.  :)

Rob 8)

karlooben

i would like to add that is it 50 birds or more , then u will have to register with defra ,under that u only have to register if YOU WANT TO . i found out not that long ago as i was paranoid about selling my eggs etc  etc . also u may want to tell the enviroment agency as if there is ever any major bird flu scares then the right ppl in authoirty will already know were ex- amounts of birds are housed so that they can be checked on in case of an outbreak , i was told that by someone at defra letting as many ppl know helps them with keeping track of who owns birds an who  doesnt bascailly they wont need to go round knocking on every single door checking if any tom dick or harry kept birds as they would already have the details needed .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

meterman

• Experienced Member
You dont need to be registered to be known as when you buy feed your details should be logged by the supplier. In the feed store the other week talking to a couple of chuck keepers and 1 said that he had recieved a letter asking him why he wasnt registered as he was buying 30 bags of feed every 4 weeks. The funny side to this is that he only has 4 chickens and has arranged to collect feed for other chicken keepers in is area to get a good discount and most give him the discount back for fetching it for them so in his words his birds eat free

question
kings lynn any one sell chickens ? or for free ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 23:08
by alotment shed
xx
Dumb question about poultry sellers

Started by gsc on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:48
by francais
xx
South Wales Hen Sellers wanted

Started by eggs on legs on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 08:40
by Paganchick
xx
Help please, chickens attacking one chicken

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 23, 2009, 11:17
by SusieB

Page created in 0.536 seconds with 36 queries.