The best way you've found

• 17 Replies

Babstreefern

Re: The best way you've found
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 13:26 »
I have a rotavator.  Brilliant for that back breaking job.  I physically dig over the plot by hand in October/November - I love that bit.  But when Spring comes and you need your fine tilth, rotivate it.  I don't know where I'd be without mine.  I have a largish one, not the Mantis Tiller as I've seen others use them, and they don't go down more than 4 inches, which is just scratching the surface.  Mine goes down double that, so it really does give it a good "raking" so to speak :D
Babs

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 13:27 »
The trouble with a rotovator on my plot is that Ive got bindweed and mares tail. Im not chopping that lot up more than I have to  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Stripey_cat

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 20:56 »
Lots of muck and compost, and let the worms do the work for you!  Or did you want a technique that'll help this year?  Seriously, I have my garden compost-bin on a corner of the veg patch, and the worms incorporate most of the compost into the soil for me - that bed has a good foot of tilth (over a couple of feet of poorer subsoil, and brick-ready clay at about 3' depth), and while some of that may be due to the previous owner's hard work, a lot of it is the little wriggly friends.

xx
found this

Started by mugins on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 08:36
by DD.
xx
just found this site

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 18:09
by flowerlady
xx
just found this article

Started by Jo-n-Neil on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 19:39
by Tinbasher
xx
Found the varmints!!

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 17, 2011, 18:50
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.729 seconds with 36 queries.