DAY 21

• 10 Replies

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
DAY 21
« on: March 23, 2009, 20:01 »
Hi All
its day 21 and the chicks are due to hatch but theres no show yet which brings me to this question what tell tail signs should i be looking out for to indicate that there ready to hatch i know it takes up to 12hrs for them to fully come out of the egg. i read other peoples topics on hatching and some say that eggs are pipping or something to that effect. what does that mean.
thanks all
if you have chickens you have rats

Vember

Re: DAY 21
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 20:07 »
Pipping is when they break through the shell for the first time.
You might only see a slight bump with a few cracks near it, every so often the chicks beak will give it a push and it will move round the shell. Once it's gone right round it'll give a push & presto one chick :)

Hope all goes well :D

Sarah :)

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 20:19 »
Oh and I count the day they go under the hen/incubator as "0" and the following day as day "1" Dont know if that changes anything?
So exciting though!!! :D

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 20:24 »
That's interesting Foxy, I always do day 1 as day I set  :)

I still end up panicking incase I got it wrong :lol:

Sarah :D

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 20:27 »
Well I might have it wrong! Ive got 16 due this weekend -maybe Saturday, maybe Sunday?  :D :D I will be panicking and fussing anyway from about Thursday! :D

Vember

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 20:37 »
The waiting is a killer, Looking through the glass to see if there is any movement :lol:

Hope it goes ok for you, looking forward to pics from you both :D

Sarah :)

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 20:37 »
Foxy - that sounds like me.  Running about like a headless chicken making sure heat lamps work and the dog and cats are safe from the area they'll go.

but it's all good fun :-)

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 20:52 »
Foxy - that sounds like me.  Running about like a headless chicken making sure heat lamps work and the dog and cats are safe from the area they'll go.

but it's all good fun :-)

:D :D :D

and inconveniently hubby has invited friends round for dinnner!!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 08:54 »
I was about to throw eggs away last time as nothing had happened but I candled them & thought I could see movement.  I was then away for 24 hours (not great timing) and came home to both eggs hatched!

It's worth waiting I think.  It seems to me that if they're going to hatch they'll hatch no matter what and if they aren't that's it.

Very exciting.  Great to watch too.  I'm hoping to actually be around for the next lot!   :D

shiatsusu

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 10:01 »
Ooh 2 lots of forum babies due this week how lovely! Looking forward to the pictures.  ::)
Foxy- am sure your supper guests will understand if you keep popping off to check on progress- I had friends over for coffee this week and we were sitting outside enjoying our cake when ren decided that was a good time to squat and squeeze until she got her weird string like egg out right in front of everyone!  :ohmy:

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 13:57 »
thanks for the advice i have pics on the chicken chat forum :)

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 27 queries.