Why do we do it

• 24 Replies

doubledug

• Experienced Member
Why do we do it
« on: March 23, 2009, 18:05 »
 I have worked very hard to prepare my plot and i had decided to use no dig beds, so today i was busy preparing the beds and of course between each bed i need a narrow earth path it was not long before i was told by a COMMITEE member that they did not want paths and i could get another row of spuds in and it would end up covered in weeds and Derrek has temporery paths but digs them over each year :blink: I have enjoyed my brief encounter with this site but it looks like its back to tesco for the vegies. :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Why do we do it
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 18:26 »
Sorry, but i'd ask where in the rules it tells you that they can decide how
you cultivate your allotmant.
As long as your not covered in weeds i didn't think that they had any say in the matter.
Or does somebody know differently?

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 18:30 »
How ridiculous.  I can understand them not wanting lots of weeds but does that mean no raised beds and 100% of plot must be cultivated?  Where are you supposed to walk!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 18:32 »
Yep mum has it right, do they specify what paths you must have in your contract? How do they know that you wont keep them weed-free? A bit like little hitlers (to coin a phrase) going on here, and they are trying to bully you IMO. Dont give up yet , Tesco wont miss you, and have a good look at your contract.  These old fashioned 'do it like we do' attitudes need to change
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 18:33 »
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO GET ON COMMITTEES  JUST TO THROW THEIR WEIGHT AROUND ??!!!!!

This would make me so angry - so long as you are keeping your plot tidy and productive what right do they have to tell you how to grow things??

Do they not know that raised beds can be more densley planted and the nett result is a higher yield for a given area.
And what about the 'tradditional ' approach which has 'paths' between each long row of veg , what a waste of space.

I know it's hard but I would argue the case, check out the site rules and look for support from others. It would be such a shame if you were to give up
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

elibump

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 18:37 »
Perhaps they believe you should float above the ground?  I would certainly ask to see the rules that say you cant have paths.  :tongue2:  B****y cheek. :tongue2: :tongue2: >:(  And quite right too - stuff Tesco and stick to your guns - perhaps not all the site agrees with Mr Hitler (sorry but don't know what else to call him)  Pleeeeze don't go - we need to diversify to survive ;)
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 18:45 »
doubledug I replied to your comment on the bonfire topic. I agree with everyone here.
How about saying "ok I won't make them permanent, I'll dig them over every year." (Pokiing the paths about a bit with a fork is a lot less work than digging the beds, but you don't need to tell them you won't be digging the beds ;) )
Alternatively you could keep the beds flat, the veggies will soon grow and hide the paths, then who's to say there are paths at all?  ::)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 19:00 »
You are all correct in what you say, and it is good to have the encouragement. It is a private site and fairly strict in what is allowed which i find generaly works to good effect.but i will not be told how to garden when the method i want to adopt i feel will increase the harvest. I think it was the temporary boards that I laid down for the purpose of setting out the beds that he took offence at or perhaps its the only place he can assert any authority ???. Whatever i shall discuse this with the secretery and let you know what the outcome is.
P. S you are absolutely right woodburner and that is what i will do although it does iritate to have to play these games, ithink i need to be a little less hotheaded :)    

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 19:38 »
ithink i need to be a little less hotheaded     

I can well understand your frustration tho'....but if you want to stay on your plot you'll have to sort it out without too many harsh words.
Are there any friendly people on the commitee you can approach?

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 19:51 »
be pollite but stick to your guns so long as you pay the rent and dont interfear with there plots I doubt there is mutch thay can complane about  :tongue2:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 19:57 »
Tell them the boards are only down to stop you damaging the soil structure  ;) stick with your plot and like everyone else has said check your tenants agreement and be polite but firm. And do let us know how you get on.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

elibump

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 19:59 »
As richyrich7 says, pleeeeese keep us updated :)

zazen999

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 20:10 »
WHAT

and indeed

EVER.

Just nod, agree and do it your way.

birmancats

• Experienced Member
  • RIP Toffee
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 20:17 »
I came across the same when I arrived on site with a pile of wood for raised beds.  I put in three straight away and was told wasted space for paths etc etc.  Nonsence etc etc by a couple of plot holders. Thankfully the chairman was intrigued and help the build.   4 years later I'm still there with 10 beds and loads of other plots have put them in too.  Stick to your guns and good luck.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 20:51 »
Hi doubledug, as a confirmed raised bed gardener, i totaly agree with what Celjaci says use of the land is improved, and paths can be maintained very easily. But not all things grow best in raised beds I.E sweedes sprouts spuds, so i do have a bit of flat garden for the likes of these.

Keep on a troshing J W

Page created in 0.512 seconds with 38 queries.