Cooking parsnips, is it possible to make them fit for humans

• 25 Replies

tadpole

• Experienced Member
Ok cooking question. I’ve some slightly over the hill parsnips, now for me they are  like eating cattle feed, but my wife loves them, now in 26 years of cooking I have yet to cook them successfully, so I need some advice, how do I make them taste reasonable. Roasting them or soup. There has to be some way to make them fit for human consumption.

Tad
small scale gardener, large scale eater

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 23:27 »
slice them into 8 portions length ways and then deep fry them to a golden colour in fresh oil, steam them and then mash put in a baking dish with some black pepper mixed in then put cheese on top and roast in with ya mneat for 30 mins or so till the cheese is all melted ,,,,
still alive /............

ziggywigs

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 23:41 »
I just adore mine roasted.....hmmmmm. Make sure you cut into large chunks though otherwise they disappear to nothing.  The bigger the better, just roast as for tatties.

tadpole

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 23:48 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
slice them into 8 portions length ways and then deep fry them to a golden colour in fresh oil, steam them and then mash put in a baking dish with some black pepper mixed in then put cheese on top and roast in with ya mneat for 30 mins or so till the cheese is all melted ,,,,

that sounds nice, well part from the parsnips anyway :)  I'll give it a go, will any cheese do?

WG.

Re: Cooking parsnips, is it possible to make them fit for hu
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:14 »
Quote from: "tadpole"
now in 26 years of cooking I have yet to cook them successfully

It is always possible that you just don't like parsnips ... either that or please post your recipe for cattle feed?

I agree with all written by ziggy and mj (two ideas from mj incidentally - he doesn't punctuate).

Parsnip soup is made more delicious when curry spices are added to offset some of the sweetness.  Cumin or even just a tsp of curry powder.

We have most of ours mashed with pepper and butter.  Carrot and parsnip, turnip and parsnip or even all three.  You can vary the portions to taste (and I think I can predict your reply here ...)

tadpole

• Experienced Member
Re: Cooking parsnips, is it possible to make them fit for hu
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:54 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "tadpole"
now in 26 years of cooking I have yet to cook them successfully

It is always possible that you just don't like parsnips ... either that or please post your recipe for cattle feed?

I have kind of come to the same conclusion; however I didn’t like pasta until I had it cooked for me by an Old Italian friend of mine, now I eat it once or twice a week. The only two foods I’ve not managed to find a way of cooking to my taste is parsnips and broad beans; however I have been told recently that the very youngest of the broad beans taste nothing like their adult cotton wool forms

I agree with all written by ziggy and mj (two ideas from mj incidentally - he doesn't punctuate).
I am glad that you told me it was two ideas. But I would be willing to try anything just in case

Parsnip soup is made more delicious when curry spices are added to offset some of the sweetness.  Cumin or even just a tsp of curry powder.
I’ve made curried squash with is quite nice, not to hot not too sweet. So that too is an option

You can vary the portions to taste (and I think I can predict your reply here ...)
 so waving the parsnips in the general direction of the cooking pot might work ;)

tetley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 08:21 »
I cut mine in half or quarters lengthways, then dip in egg and then in parmesan...and then roast.

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 09:56 »

thats cos my mom said itwould make me blind  8)

WG.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 10:09 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
 thats cos my mom said itwould make me blind  

No, no, Munty.  You're thinking of mastication.  This is what you do to the parsnips after you cook them.

muntjac

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 10:44 »
i like a reallllllllll strrong  bash ya teeth in at the back mature cheddar me ,, can stand these wimpy anemic blooming things in plastic ya buy at the store .

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:26 »
If your parsnips are a bit woody you can quarter them and cut the core out just using the outer softer flesh   :idea:

cozzcov

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 17:27 »
I found this recipe the other week, I had some over the hill parsnips too, My friends and I loved it when I made it (sorry its not in 'old money' hehehe  :lol: )

• 50g butter
• 1 onion, finely sliced
• 2-3 parsnips (approx. 225g), peeled, cored and finely chopped
• 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
• 450ml water or chicken stock if available
• 150ml dry cider
• 50ml double cream

To finish:
• Chopped parsley
• 1/2 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and finely diced

Method
In a medium-sized pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook gently for 2-3 minutes. Add the parsnips, chopped apple, water or chicken stock and cider,
bring to a gentle simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables
are tender. Transfer the soup to a liquidizer and blend until smooth. Pass the soup through a sieve, return to a clean pan, and warm gently. Stir in the double cream and thin the soup to your liking with a little hot water or hot chicken stock. Stir in the diced apple and parsley, retaining a little of each to garnish. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with the remaining parsley and apple. Serve immediately with crusty bread.
Enjoy  :D

technobob

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 17:55 »
We have a really simple solution for parsnips (except roasting on Sunday of course)...

What you need to do is slice them into 2mm (roughly) thick slices (across, rather than along), place on an oven tray, drizzle with olive oil, and bake in a hot oven 180-200 degrees celcius. Cook for roughly half an hour (but keep an eye on them), until they crisp up nicely.

When they are done you have a really nice (healthy) parsnip crisp. Kids love 'em. Could give Walkers a run for their money with these...
"The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves" - Sophocles

My Blog... If anyone is interested!!! http://www.grobsness.net/blog/

WG.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 18:13 »
Nice one Bob, I'd forgotten about parsnip crisps.

Is it a little windy up your way today?

technobob

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 18:28 »
Don't talk to me about the weather  :roll:

Cload with wind and snow, then clear blue skies and really warm, then cload and hail, then really bitter wind from the north... and then I came in for a cuppa at 10am!!!!

In and out all day. Determined to press on, but gave up at 14:30 when weather just closed in completely.

Oh and did I mention it was windy... 100mph gusts recorded yesterday  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
do they have to be cooking apples to make a pie?

Started by bigdog on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post October 04, 2012, 12:44
by Agatha
xx
Question re cooking parsnips

Started by Gorgo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post November 15, 2009, 20:47
by titch
xx
cooking with apples

Started by rhysdad on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 19:25
by Trillium
xx
Ok so what now, asparagus cooking

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 21:24
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 37 queries.