Knives

• 23 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Knives
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 00:53 »
Some good advice here....... next time I need to replace a lost pen-knife I'll be back for a reminder.

Presently I have a huge, old steel carving knife that stays stuck in a joint next to the shed door (inside). Half of the blade has worn really narrow towards the tip where it has been resharpened over the years. It belonged to my grandfather and cut many a Sunday joint before making an idea trimming knife when I harvest leeks and other veg. The long narrow blade reaches into spaces well and makes cutting purple sprouting a doddle. :) It's a thin and easy to sharpen blade - I'm very fond of it!

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 16:48 »
Got home from work today and my new knife has come  :D but alas they sent the wrong one  >:(

bought it from the woodsmiths store they sent the opinel 10inch straight blade not the pruning knife i ordered , i think i should send it back  :(
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 21:43 »
Got home from work today and my new knife has come  :D but alas they sent the wrong one  >:(

bought it from the woodsmiths store they sent the opinel 10inch straight blade not the pruning knife i ordered , i think i should send it back  :(

I'd contact the supplier first and ask them to provide a returns label or agree to cover postage costs - their error - not yours.

Or... you could order another one and have two types  :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 22:09 »
The woodsmiths store have actually been very good , hes emailed me its his mistake and sending me correct knife. Ive sent wrong knife back today. Imsure it will work out fine.

As for your advice of having  2 types learner until i orderd this one i was never a knife owner.

Ones must be enough i dont want to become addicted you know  :unsure:

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 01:26 »
The woodsmiths store have actually been very good , hes emailed me its his mistake and sending me correct knife. Ive sent wrong knife back today. Imsure it will work out fine.

As for your advice of having  2 types learner until i orderd this one i was never a knife owner.

Ones must be enough i dont want to become addicted you know  :unsure:

I'm pretty under-control when it comes to knives - just have two = my grandfather's old carving knife (really useful) and one small pocket-knife.

It's spectacles I'm a little bit over indulgent with..... the number I have lost in flower-beds, amongst the rows of veg and up the mower and in the pond! :wacko: I tend to buy lots and very cheap ones so have the things all over the place...and sometimes in my shirt pocket until they slide out :blink:

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 05:31 »
I'd have to say that I've got loads of pocket knives.
I've got about as many tape measures as well, and stanley craft knives.
And DO you think I can ever find any of them, when I need one?????? ???

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 06:13 »
I'd have to say that I've got loads of pocket knives.
I've got about as many tape measures as well, and stanley craft knives.
And DO you think I can ever find any of them, when I need one?????? ???

i know why they make them in bright colours, but i still manage to lose them. i have a bill hook that should have been a boomerang as it comes back after 12 months as if nothing has happened hahahahha. Its been left in the wood for months at a time and its the best tool i have ever brought. it holds its edge so well and i prefer it to an axe.
Thanks
Kris

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 08:43 »
my grandad sworn by his old http://www.laguiole.com, but about 20 years ago they changed their blade and everything went stainless steel.
I went o their site and was very surprised to notice they are now a sort of fashionable brand and so upmarket. ( more then 100 euro a pop).
In france opinel is the biggest brand of pocket knife but laguiole has an history of a present given to someone reaching 18 , as a knife you keep for life.( I still have mine)
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 06:34 »
my grandad sworn by his old http://www.laguiole.com, but about 20 years ago they changed their blade and everything went stainless steel.
I went o their site and was very surprised to notice they are now a sort of fashionable brand and so upmarket. ( more then 100 euro a pop).
In france opinel is the biggest brand of pocket knife but laguiole has an history of a present given to someone reaching 18 , as a knife you keep for life.( I still have mine)

Wow what nice looking bit of kit to have pricey too.

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.