Run Plans?

• 11 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Run Plans?
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:45 »
I'm going to make an extension run onto our existing one and was wondering if anyone had any plans or advice to give me?  What size/grade wood should I use?  Thanks!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

poultrygeist

Re: Run Plans?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 14:11 »
What is your existing run made of LRH ?

Might be easier to match to the existing. Mesh needs to be minimum 19gauge/1mm thick welded mesh, ideally 25mm x 13mm to keep rats out.
I used 2" uprights in post spikes with 2 x 2 cross members about 2'6" high and 2 x 1 around the top.
There are some photos of some excellent runs that you could copy. It depends on your budget, your skills, your space and what you're fixing to.

Rob 8)

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 16:15 »
Is the run going to be permanant or one to be moved around the garden?
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Little Red Hen

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 17:40 »
The run is definitely going to be permanent.  I saw heavy mesh squares of the galvanized wire in B&Q and I thought I could staple a bunch of those onto wooden frames and then screw them together, hinging a couple on the top for access.  I'm going to take the suggested size wood made here to make the frame.  My biggesdt worry is Mr Fox falling through the top! :unsure:  I attempted earlier to post a picture of the two house/runs we have combined but for some reason the post hasn't come through yet.  I'm on the wroing computer to upload the picture again. 

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 17:49 »
I can reccomend putting corrugated plastic roofing sheets on top (using suitable timber framework) to keep the rain and foxes out.

We did it gradually and it's made a huge difference.

If your photos haven't appeared, you'll need to try again unfortunately.
Have you had a read of this...
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19476.0

If you need help with it, shout up when you're ready. :)

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 18:27 »
best way of keeping the fox out  is to build the run as high as u can so that the fox cant jump over the top , my run is 10 m by 6 m and is something like 7foot high .i have poulty netting as a roof to stop any birds getting in and then around the top of the run along the beams i have attached bendt  steel at 45 degree angle  with thin strands of wire going though and all the way round  :D :D my run looks more like a prison camp  :nowink: someone said when i finished it that i needed to add little plastic men with machine guns in each corner  :lol: :lol: :lol:

my guys are on a allotment site behind my house and so far i havent had one single probelm, my only regret is that i did not bury the wire into the ground .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 21:32 »
Looby, I think you did the right thing with your run if it's on an allotment.  But I bet that it is funny to see!  What?  No search lights and sirens?  :lol:

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 10:45 »
The roof of our run has 5" square mesh. If a fox jumps on it his paws will go stright through it, so stopping him in his tracks. A chicken "could" fit through the 5" hole but it is 8ft high so it would require some acurate flying.

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 17:31 »
i was thinking about putting up secruity lights but the only thing is i can see the run from my window an i would wake up though out the night when it went on , i am bad enough with all the lights around the garden  :lol: :lol:. i do have fake cameras going up around the shed in the run but thats mainly for some added protection agaisnt the theives .

Rubellite

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 14:45 »
Err - ever thought of moving to the country?
We don't have the quantity of crims you urban dwellers have.  :ohmy:

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 15:34 »
They just live further apart !!  :D

stoko

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 16:28 »
Hello littleredhen,
Ref the wire mesh from B&Q. It will be much cheeper to buy a 30mtr x .9mtr 19 gauge roll from weldmesh. From memory I paid about £46 plus delivery and it still worked out at less than a third the price,
Regards,
Stoko

xx
Our Plans

Started by Feeb on The Hen House

144 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 10:52
by Feeb
xx
New run - plans

Started by rosied on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 17:03
by poultrygeist
xx
Chicken Run - Plans

Started by lamina on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 17:01
by too many girls
xx
Hen house plans

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 16:54
by BarnBrian

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 37 queries.