Pepper problems

• 46 Replies

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« on: May 21, 2006, 15:11 »
Hi all you gurus out there!! Can you help? planted half of my peppers out and half to be planted. Didn't want to plant out the youngsters cos I noticed leaf curl AND the stems of the plants are ridged (first time growing sweet peppers could be normal to have a ridged stem!) I should mention there’s no sign of creepy crawlies! Strangely the plants are healthy?? Alarm bells ring VIRUS!!!!! Is there hope?? or should I chuck them and start again. The planted out peppers are now showing signs of leaf curl!!!! Help !
Happy Gardening

yewtreemob

Pepper problems
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 17:33 »
I grow peppers - but mostly chilli rather than sweet peppers.  My amateur off the wall reaction is that you may just be jumping the gun.  Peppers need a lot of heat to get going and minor leaf curl may indicate they're cold!  My chilli peppers have been inside a heated propagator in a greenhouse since 2nd April and they are very small and very slow this year so maybe there is nothing wrong with yours.  I recall get ridging on the stems sometimes so that may not be serious either.

SweetPea

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 17:36 »
It's been so chilly up here I've failed to get three lots of sweet peppers to germinate :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Pepper problems
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 18:04 »
I don't think Biscombe has a cold problem, she lives in Spain!!!

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 19:27 »
Yep! I should have mentioned that I live in Spain, sorry!!! I'm very very worried about the ridges on the stems though!! My Spanish neighbour pointed out a few ridges on the tomato plants too but they look sooooooooooo healthy! I feel sick and tearful! all the effort!  :( My other half is trying to cheer me up- not working :cry:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Pepper problems
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 19:29 »
Are they the same variety?

May be worth carrying on with them and seeing what happens - after all, if they die then you've not lost anything more than if you bin them now.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 20:49 »
Thanks John, about 4 varieties are planted on the same pepper plot and they all have the same problem. I will leave as you suggest, but I think I'll buy some plants in (DOH) and plant them in a different plot in case the others are stunted and dont produce. If its a virus could it spread to the toms on the next plot? My neighbour noticed similar looking ridges on the toms and pointed out leaf curl at the bottom (I thought leaf curl was normal on toms!!) anyway......... Cheered up a bit now

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Pepper problems
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 23:38 »
Perhaps you could ask one of the natives?  I'm wondering if this is some problem they have in Spain because it doesn't seem to fit anything I've heard of.

Leaf curl on tomatoes isn't unusual or a problem but this ridging thing has me baffled.

Sounds a good idea buying in some to plant separately - always have a back up.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 23:48 »
I'll take some pics so you can see the problem. Thanks for being there for my first gardenng upset!!!!!

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
Pepper problems
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 00:09 »
The original post states that the plants are healthy and growing well. Have you possibly had a bit of a whoops! with the fertilizer?

In this rain-drenched cold corner of the globe the pepper troubles all stem from plants being too cold or waterlogged and it is difficult to judge strange problems without viewing the problem. Any chance of a photo?

I think that any virus would discolour the leaves with spots or blotches as well as reducing the vigour of the plant overall. While the plants continue to grow well, I think they should be left. Keep all aditional plantings well separated from the original plants.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Pepper problems
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 00:12 »
Good thinking, Eristic -

Too much fertiliser could be an explanation.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 00:15 »
Thanks for all the support! I will post a pic so you can see!! very strange cos the leaves are still a healthy green colour! If it wasn't for the ridged stems I would feel better!

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Pepper problems
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 08:54 »
I think they're suppose to be ridged, looking at my photos of sweet and hot peppers in previous years
http://www.stargazy.org/plants/25June2004/tn/babypepper.jpg.html
http://www.stargazy.org/plants/2005/tn/littlepeppers.jpg.html
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38 »
HI! PHEW! the ridges are normal, the stems are just the same as yours!!! I feel daft now (but relieved)!!!! Do some tomatoes sometimes have the same ridges on the lower stems?? Thank you soooo much for all of your replies! I'll take some pics today!!!

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Pepper problems
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 23:22 »
Sorry to drag this on but finally got round to taking pics!! any more ideas?? (Saved these from the bin :()

xx
sweet pepper problems

Started by steampig on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 13:58
by steampig
clip
What pepper is this?

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 09:15
by Mr Dog
xx
First pepper

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2015, 09:26
by Willow_Warren
clip
pepper help

Started by daveylamp on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2022, 11:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 37 queries.