Cala lilies and frost damage

• 9 Replies

Faz

• Experienced Member
Cala lilies and frost damage
« on: March 18, 2009, 20:20 »
Hiya,

We have a patch of cala lilies in the front garden, with 4 separate clumps in it. They've been in three of four years now and are well established, but during the very cold spell last month they have been decimated - all of the foliage has been destroyed and quite a bit of the stems. The stems that remain are still green and look alive, but i can't see any real signs of growth coming through yet. They were given a good top dressing of old compost from my grow bags in the autumn which I hope has helped to protect the roots to a certain extent.

I have pulled the rotten/dead bits of the plant off to try and stop any rot setting in, but would welcome any other ideas about coaxing them back to life!

Has any one else suffered similar damage and if so have your plants come back to life yet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cala lilies and frost damage
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 20:40 »
Last year i bought 10 tiny plantlets of the white zantedeschia (arum) lily and kept these in small pots outside over winter.Stupid me never expected the cold we got  >:(
Moved these into the unheated greenhouse a few weeks ago cos they looked dead :(

When i looked today you can just see new shoots beginning to poke through the slimy remains of the old stems. :)

So if my babies can pull through your mature plants should be fine, :D might just take a bit longer to show signs of life out in the ground.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 08:27 »
My Cala (a pressie from my son) has had lots of lovely greenery for the past two years but nary a flower to be seen   >:( Im rubbish with pretty stuff  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:36 »
E have amssive clump on the edge of our pond and it has survived for years, but like you, I think this winter may have been one step too far for it. So far no signs of life.. sorry!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 16:19 »
I'll think positive and keep my fingers crossed I think, it would be a shame to lose them as they are lovely when they are in bloom.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 18:38 »
Our clump is always spectacular --- let's be hopeful here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 08:56 »
Good morning Faz --- gues what, there's tiny green shoots on the call this morning, just poking up out of the water on that side. Nothing yet on the land side but it all looks very promising. 

Don't give up on yours yet, all could be well :)

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:08 »
Well the good news is that the lilies have sprung back to life, it just looks like the first set of leaves will be a bit tattered where they were damaged, but I'll cut them off when some of the other leaves come through to make it look tidy. Hopefully it will still flower this year, I think I'll give them a bit of fertiliser as a treat  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:43 »
Well the good news is that the lilies have sprung back to life, it just looks like the first set of leaves will be a bit tattered where they were damaged, but I'll cut them off when some of the other leaves come through to make it look tidy. Hopefully it will still flower this year, I think I'll give them a bit of fertiliser as a treat  :)

Great to hear Faz -- it's always a shame to lose a favourite plant  :D

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:35 »
I've been growing them for about 10years now. Every year they start off too early in spring, get decimated by frost and go slushy and rotten ( sometimes 2 or even 3 times over the spring), every time they come back OK and by summer they are lovely and flower profusely.

They do look pretty awful after the frost but don't despair they will recover. I don;t offer them any protection at all, mine are in a windy spot but high up so probably not in the worst frost pocket in my garden.

Mine are the plain white ones ( zantedeshia eothiopica mispelt no doubt  ::)), the coloured ones weren't widely available when i planted them, maybe the coloured ones are a bit less hardy but i don;t have any experiance of those.

xx
Lilies

Started by Eblana on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2021, 14:04
by Eblana
xx
Looking after the lilies?

Started by potatopotato on General Gardening

17 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 23:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Lilies

Started by strangerachael on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 20:48
by sunshineband
xx
lilies in a pot

Started by sion01 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:16
by sion01

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 29 queries.