Electric Poultry Fencing

• 17 Replies

Rubellite

Electric Poultry Fencing
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:45 »
I'm a little confused :( I think it is because my brain cells are dying off). I have been reading about the electric fencing and I understand it will keep the foxes out, but how and will it stop my hens flying over it?  :unsure:

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Electric Poultry Fencing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54 »
if the foxes touch it, they'll get a mild shock - not enough to hurt but enough to put them off.
they can feel the buzzing through the wires too.

i should imagine it would affect the chickens in the same way, so yes, it should stop them flying over it.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 10:59 »
I have 200m of electrified poultry netting, I have the odd bird fly out but not very often. They have plenty of room and wander around in small flocks, and dont seem to have any inclination too. Some breeds are more flighty and sometimes younger birds too.

You can get quite high poultry netting 1.22m with black poles which really is good

http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/electricnetting.asp#poultryanch_Anchor

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:00 »
if the foxes touch it, they'll get a mild shock - not enough to hurt but enough to put them off.
they can feel the buzzing through the wires too.

i should imagine it would affect the chickens in the same way, so yes, it should stop them flying over it.

Foxes get a heck of a shock as muzzles aren't very insulated like a chickens feathers!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 11:02 »
oh, i thought it only a little shock.
i'm no longer a fan.
 >:(

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:11 »
I am planning to get some Wyandotte bantams which I am told don't fly very high. The plan is to have a pen of electric fencing that I can move around the back garden (which is also where my veggies will be) Is this feasible? Is it a real pain re-siting the fence? I've read about strimming the grass because of earthing so wondered if I mowed the grass, then moved the fence onto  the short patch, say once every 10 days or so when the grass is growing, this would save me having to strim, and also, rest the grass. I hate strimming with a passion!! Much prefer long handled shears. Will I be in a situation where I'll be tossing up whether the chore of the day will be moving the leccy fence or strimming?  :unsure:

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 11:15 »
Well I dont strim -I mow just a strip if the grass is really growing quickly. You can use damp proof coursing as well and stick the fencing through it. 
Wyandotte bantams sound lovely! :)

PJM

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 17:57 »
For the attention of Red Ruby.... Don't know who told you Wyandottes don't fly much, but they are mistaken. My Bantam Partridge Wyandottes love to fly onto the roof of their run to preen and pretty up before bedtime, and that is six feet high! :D

Rubellite

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 20:20 »
For the attention of Red Ruby.... Don't know who told you Wyandottes don't fly much, but they are mistaken. My Bantam Partridge Wyandottes love to fly onto the roof of their run to preen and pretty up before bedtime, and that is six feet high! :D

Oh. Well that's that plan out of the window!. It said in the book they don't fly and a 2 foot fence would keep them in  :(
The question about leccy fence and flying was more for the girlies up the field to allow them more of a free range. Didn't think it would apply to the bantams.
OK. Next question. What fat little bantams can't get off the ground????  ::)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 21:02 »
how large is your run?
it might be more expedient to give it a mesh roof....

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 21:14 »
Well  we have bantam faverolles, orpingtons, australorps, and pekins. The large birds are cochins (black,blue, gold laced )and faverolles, I dont have any of them fly out.
What you can do is just clip a wing to unbalance them if they do fly.

Rubellite

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 22:08 »
how large is your run?
it might be more expedient to give it a mesh roof....

The girlies in the field have a pen approx 8m x 10m made of Heras fence panels with bird netting for a roof. I'd like them to free range but I am not in the field all day to keep an eye on them so I thought if I got some electric fencing they could have  more room. Now they do fly so I would need the tall fencing.
I am at the planning stage re the bantams. They will be living nearer the house in a portable pen but again I wanted the option of a bigger pen. I have several weedy areas that I would be happy for them to decimate - lol. Will have to do more research.............

Rubellite

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 22:16 »
Well  we have bantam faverolles, orpingtons, australorps, and pekins. The large birds are cochins (black,blue, gold laced )and faverolles, I dont have any of them fly out.
What you can do is just clip a wing to unbalance them if they do fly.

Think I'd be a bit squeamish and therefore pretty useless at clipping wings. I hate cutting the dogs' toenails in case I catch the quick.  :(
Do they need a launch pad to get off the ground? The girls in the field launch off from their perch in the morning when I open the door. They go quite a distance but it is all downhill .
However they do manage to get up there of a night time, so assume they would manage to scramble onto a 4 foot fence. What would happen if they landed on the top of the leccy fence - fried chicken? :blink:

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 22:27 »
Have a look at this thread for clipping wing info -it really is easy and does not hurt the chicken!

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=15495.msg194415#msg194415

also, chickens are well feathered therefore insulated against the shock. I have never lost a bird  because of the electrified fencing. If that was the case, I very much doubt it would be so popular.

pushrod

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 22:21 »
[ What would happen if they landed on the top of the leccy fence - fried chicken? :blink:

Nothing, because they are not earthed - the same way that birds can land on overhead supply cables.

I once lost a bird to an electric fence. As far as i can tell the bird flew over the fence and then got tangled in the fence when it was trying to get back in  :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 22:28 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

xx
electric fencing instead of a run...

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by ManicMum
xx
Electric Fencing

Started by Le Hameau on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 09:58
by Sassy
xx
electric fencing

Started by Hawkins on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 08:29
by Sassy
xx
Electric fencing ?

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 29, 2008, 14:56
by Bodger

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 38 queries.