Compost/Soil Ratios

• 4 Replies

GillyHen

• Not far enough from the madding crowd
Compost/Soil Ratios
« on: March 16, 2009, 22:39 »
Hi there! This is my first post  :)

I am in the process of clearing and preparing my first plot - which I acquired at the end of January! (Have added some pictures to my gallery.) I will be constructing raised beds. I was wondering if it is ok to fill up the raised beds - after a layer of well rotted horse muck forked into the bottom - with compost, compost and more compost, instead of finding topsoil and using that for the bulk of it? Is there any danger of the substrate being too rich, or any problems that might result? I'm planning to first plant onion sets and early potatoes, followed by maincrop and various other 'test' crops - probably having a root crop bed which for this year would only have a load of compost in it and no manure.

paintedlady

Re: Compost/Soil Ratios
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:54 »
Sounds alright to me, especially for hungry feeders like summer fruiting crops squash, marrows/courgettes, sweetcorn, runner beans etc.  You might want to dig over the soil first so that it aids drainage (especially on heavy compacted soils) and your earthworms would appreciate it too.  This is basically all I did on my big plot last year as most summer fruiting crops have fairly shallow roots.  I wouldn't recommend it for brassicas like cabbages & sprouts (as the compost can be a bit too lightweight for them and doesn't pack down firm enough although they'll love the manure)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 17:30 »
You may run into the sort of problems you get with pots full of compost (rather than soil-based mixes) - dries out fast, and nutrients can leach.  If you're on clay, I might be tempted to dig out half a spit of the clay when you dig the rest of the place, stick the clay in the raised bed (to bulk up the compost), and add more compost to your main garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 21:29 »
Compost will also need topping up much more regularly as it decomposes, whereas soil will not.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 10:57 »
Hi, when i made my new beds ( 12 foot by 4 foot ) i put the wood round dug the base put 3 barrow loads of manure on then dug all round to a depth of about 3" for the paths and put that on top. Got me off to a good start.

Keep on a troshing J W

xx
NPK ratios

Started by dalemellor on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 13:24
by viettaclark
xx
General Fertiliser Ratios query

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 21:56
by mumofstig
xx
What soil/compost should I use for these veg please?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 17, 2008, 09:25
by Kagganz
xx
top soil or compost?

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 12:59
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.63 seconds with 36 queries.