Can anyone tell me what this is???? Please.

• 15 Replies

matilda duck

Can anyone tell me what this is???? Please.
« on: March 14, 2009, 20:54 »
I know it's an egg but whats on the egg?  It had only been laid about an hour.  As I pulled it out of the nest box I thought it was covered in eggs.....but they are quite hard and just scrape off. 

Is it just the way Tinsel has laid?  Or should I be looking for something more sinister???

I have checked for red mite and all of the coup was cleaned out this morning.  I have wormed them in the last week so thats all ok .........very strange.......any ideas.........................please

Oooppps sorry I'll try to remember the picture this time :wacko:

Vember

Re: Can anyone tell me what this is???? Please.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 21:03 »
Really not sure MD ?

I get an odd hard bobble on some of my girls eggs, they tend to come of once scraped :) Extra bits of calcium I think?

Have to say never had any in a cluster like that  :wacko:

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 21:06 »
 :ohmy:

....so that's how aliens infiltrate our planet  :unsure:

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 21:11 »
How strange, they do look like eggs of some sort, dont think you would detect with the human eye if they were worm eggs though, maybe some other parasite? Auntie might know....shes very good with ummm bugs and things :D

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 21:16 »
If it's eggs, it must be from the nestbox because surely no parasite would be able to lay eggs on a shell while it travels through the oviduct ? ???

And if you've cleaned out thoroughly, then there can't be much going on in the nestbox.

So it could be mineral deposits or similar. Trying to think of something that might crystalise like that.

Rob 8)

matilda duck

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 21:25 »
My first thought was eggs...but everywhere is cleaned and the girls are checked most night for red mite as I put them to bed with a torch.  Tinsel does have a habit of strange eggs.  They are dark as you can see sometimes the dark patches look like blood and sometimes they will scrape off??? ??? ???

One of the other hens laid after and that egg was ok... well I think it was...How very strange?????

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 21:27 »
Oh dear Rob, me thinks you are flummoxed! :lol:

Sam, maybe check her eggs tommorrow?  :unsure:

matilda duck

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 21:29 »
Why is it always mine that have strange things with their eggs????  I want normal chickens!! :tongue2:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 21:29 »
Worzel (he's the parasitologist) thinks they could be flies eggs laid on some poo on the egg, could there have been any poo on the egg ?

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 21:30 »
Oh do you mean the eggs have small spots of blood when you wipe them, do they kind of smear? Or is it just brown pigment that rubs off?
Now does that make any sense, at all? (cant tell after a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. :unsure:...)

poultrygeist

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 22:04 »
I think I know where your thoughts may be leading Foxy  :ohmy:

(yes, I'm completely flummoxed! ::)..nothing new)

Rob 8)

matilda duck

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 22:21 »
Oh do you mean the eggs have small spots of blood when you wipe them, do they kind of smear? Or is it just brown pigment that rubs off?
Now does that make any sense, at all? (cant tell after a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. :unsure:...)

Brown pigmant that rubs off.   I've just had another look at the egg and they look like tiny egg shell that has been perfectly formed into egg shape.............I think I need that wine Foxy I'm not making sense now...... :wacko:

Modern Game Bird

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24 »
Hi, I have just come across this forum and have seen your picture of the egg.  We used to get this with some of our hens eggs about 5 years ago.  They are calcium deposits on the egg and are very hard to scrape off!  They are not parasite eggs or anything to do with worms or red mite.  They look weird though!! 

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 14:30 »
Brilliant MGB! oh and a big welcome to the henhouse! :D :D

Matilda Duck you can tell RollRoll he can take it off now!!! :lol: :lol:

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 21:27 »
Foxy!!! I thought we agreed to keep my rubber fetish just between the two of us :ohmy:.   :lol:
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 36 queries.