Planting this weekend!??

• 98 Replies

Lee1978

Re: Planting this weekend!??
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 21:42 »
Managed to get some sweet peas in and some runner beans under cover. Next week i will be getting my beds prepared for my spuds ;)

Farmer Fred

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 01:19 »
potted some runner beans this morning, a few spring onions, cauli and some Brussel sprouts, tomorrow i'm planting some shallots weather permitting and doing a bit more digging to try and clear a bit more space, as its taken this long for the thing to dry out enough. going to get more pots and start a lad of peas tomorrow too
trying to be organic

iwantanallotment

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 01:59 »
Runner beans, cabbages, lettuces & salad leaves, tomatoes & chillis in propagator, cucumbers, sweetcorn, leeks, broccoli...planted rhubarb & asparagus(in pots). All in greenhouse, & will be fleeced if necessary over the coming weeks.
The asparagus was weird - coudn't tell which end was UP? So I compromised & planted em on their sides......figured if they want to grow, they'll find a way  :D
Potatoes and peas tomorrow, if I find time between cooking dinner.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 08:40 »
This is a great thread for a newbie like me , very helpfull  :D

Such a nice day today im going to cave in and put my early spuds in a week earlier than planned. Attention home guard  :D :D :D
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Ropster

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 09:49 »
yesterday I stuck in

a row of Broad Beans I had in Richy Paper Pots
Haf a row of Parsnips again started in paper pots
a row of Early Nantes carrots
half a row of Bolthardy beatroot
a mixed half row of raddish and Turnip

Today I need to put in the last of my onion sets as I got rained off last weekend

also going to start off a few things in pots at home

Elcie

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 16:04 »
I planted some red onion sets today and also some peas.  First things I have sown there this year so far, although if you look at any windowsill in my house or in the greenhouse you will see a range of tomato, sweetcorn, radish, broad beans and chillis started!

Kagganz

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 17:08 »
I have planted all of my seeds potatoes (over 100 .....and in a small garden .....and in tubs!!!  Good job the neighbours are my friends!   ;)

Also planted lettuce, radish, rocket, basil and chives in grow bags and popped one of the double plastic cloche thingies from B & Q over the two growbags......ooh and 4 more leek seeds in toilet roll inners.

Tidied the garden.

Bought some mini pop sweetcorn because somehow I don't think the big sweetcorn will have enough room to grow!

I love this thread too Morewhiskey because I can read what the others are doing and copy them  :tongue2:

xx

Stripey_cat

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 17:12 »
Lettuce, land cress, baby carrots and radishes sown in a small raised bed, and The Sutton planted out in a large pot (just to get a few early beans).  The main beds are still on the cold side, so nothing is in direct yet, although I need to get the maincrop broad beans I started in modules out soon.

gidster

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 17:17 »
well ive been in the allotment all day today and did my first ever bit of planting, i put in two rows of onion sets, about 80 of the little bad boys.

also swapped some netting for a tray of leeks and spinage, so put two rows of leaks in which was a bit fiddly. may put my second earlies in next week,

with spinage is it best that they are under netting?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 18:50 »
Went for it big time and planted up all the chitted spuds:-
 Red duke of york
Charlotte
Vivaldi
The Hunter that i got free can wait a bit, still to chit!

Sown 2 x8ft rows of peas (have fleece or cloche if forecast turns bad!!!!)
Sown row of Blood Red Holland onions, sown close....thinnings for salad
rest to bulb up

Inside sown garlic chives, chives, parsley, basil more oregano.
Potted on germinated toms, peppers, chillis and aubs.
I've decided that spring has sprung :D :D

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 19:12 »
From Glasgow I think we can tentatively say that spring has sprung. That's not to say winter won't sneak back and bite us in the *rse one more time, but we can hope...  :D

Not planted anything this weekend (because I'm a PhD student I prefer weekdays when it's quieter up at the site) but at home:

- basil has been germinating and now surging ahead with little shoots. We sowed them a few weeks ago in pots with rubber bands holding clear plastic bags (from our greengrocer) over them.
- celery and mint germinating and showing some signs of life
- our ever optimistic capsicums still in the propagators, but don't expect much from them for another week or two

Our on the allotment, our biggest achievement of the past week was finishing el shed. We have a half plot, and the shed now sits at the north end, fully clad and secure. The north and east 'façades' are made of doors found on Freecycle, upright on the back and angled about 80º on the east façade ('cos I'm an architect, that's why). That defines the single pitch of the roof (eventually the water butt will move up here). The south and west sides are clad in reclaimed plastic from old bus shelters (very kindly donated by a fellow plotholder). It sits on a base frame of pallets lifted from the streets of Govanhill, has a frame made of about £10 of timber from Glasgow Wood Recycling and has a roof made of conservatory plastic found on Freecycle...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesbrownontheroad/3356656597/

The biggest expense therefore has been screws, nails and bolts (maybe £20) and a day's rental of a van (£25) to get the materials together.

We've been told by longer standing plot holders (we got this one in January) that seed potatoes always go in on St. Patrick's Day... a tradition apparently set by generations of Irish gardeners in our site. However I've got to go to Belfast on Tuesday so we might take our chances and sneak them in a day early  :happy: We've chitted 3kg of Lady Balfour (second earlies) and Vales Everest (maincrop) for a few weeks now, and they're all showing healthy sprouts, some with a beautiful purple tinge. They'll go in on Monday.

Garlic (Sultop) and shallots (Golden Gourmet) will go into the ground along with onion sets of an unknown variety. They came from a most generous Freecycle source who took away our fridge a few months ago. We also have spring onion seeds (Lilia) and onion seeds (mailed to me by mum who couldn't resist a Lidl impulse buy) which we are probably going to grow in containers: either in our new greenshed or outside in window boxes in our apartment.

Tomorrow, therefore, will be our first day of planting.  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 19:14 by jamesbrownontheroad »

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 20:52 »
Nice post Jamesbrownontheroad, sounds like your doing great so far. El shed is a masterpiece, and will prove invaluable for starting things off.

I dug over my early potato bed and will put them in on Tuesday, because i'm oirish. ;)

I planted out all my 18 new strawberry plants (from runners) in a very sweet little raised bed OH made a while ago.

'Supervised' the erection of a fence around my kitchen garden, that OH has salvaged from the recently harvested forest behind us.

Garlic, Red and white onions, all in since last autumn and doing nicely.  Basil, coriander, chives and parsley all now at nice seedling stage. Toms, aubergines, and peppers also in their own pots and nestled in tinfoil in the kitchen window.

Chillis and cucumbers and more toms in the propagator and just through. Salad, rocket, radish already up in the greenhouse border. Parsnips germinated on kitchen paper and transplanted into ritchies paper pots, put out to the greenhouse today. 

Caulies, brocolli, spring onion, and summer and autumn leeks sowed during the week but yet to show (obviously).

I've been busy, i just hope i don;t get caught out.  I found it really hard to refrain from getting going this year.
Liv.

jason g

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 21:30 »
i thought it migght be  a little too early for runner beans to be started

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 21:57 »
i thought it migght be  a little too early for runner beans to be started

My thoughts exactly :lol: :lol: ::)
You can't plant them out til after frosts are finished. So if they're started now they'll have to stay in pots for a very long time :ohmy:

iwantanallotment

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 00:29 »
My runners are sown too, as of a few days ago. Actually a week later than I sowed them last year.
When they go out, lots of fleece is at the ready should there be frosts....we had a late frost last year where my beans spent a night blanketted up in fleece, they did look odd! But lived on unharmed & cropped until mid November.
If anything should go wrong, there's plenty more seeds as back-up....but well worth a try, for an early crop  :)

xx
Planting pea seedlings out on weekend

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 10:10
by noshed
xx
Anyone planting their spuds this weekend?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 20:52
by richie3846
xx
Is this going to be a big weekend

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 17:37
by Irene
xx
Going out this weekend

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 18:45
by muntjac

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 39 queries.