Planting this weekend!??

• 98 Replies

Christine

Re: Planting this weekend!??
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 07:55 »
Garlic in last November, onions and shallots in. Am waiting now for a week or ten days to see how the weather goes. We are a bit north and a bit near coast to be hurrying into planting.

Remember last Easter - snow and evil weather mid/end March. So no rush.

randombod

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 08:14 »
Was going to sow some Kohl Rabi on Sunday but just looked in my seed box and theres only like half a dozen seeds in the packet  :(

Perhaps a visit to the shops for more  :D

just growen some for the first time this year what are they like ?

JulesJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 08:40 »
Kohlrabi's lovely - we roast ours in chunks.

This weekend we're pricking out tomatoes and cerinthe. Watering in nematodes. Putting the rest of the spuds into patio planters in the greenhouse. Rows of Early Nantes carrots and Guardsman spring onions under fleece. A tub of Half Pint peas under a glasspane initially. Starting parsleys, begonias and calendula indoors. Lovage and summer savory. Aubergines, caulies, kale, lettuce and melons if the seeds arrive.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:49 »
Our Garlic has been transplanted from October sown pots.  Radicchio (sp) is cracking on and PSB is going great guns.

http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/2009/03/purple-sprouting-majestey.html

I'll pop in some salad leaves in our tubs under glass today.  I don't quite fancy sowing anything more fancy than that. 

It's still been overcoat weather for most of this week in London.  If I'm cold the seeds will be freezing!  I guess that once April arrives I'll get cracking.  I've still got some beds to prepare. 
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Mr McGregor

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 10:35 »
Early peas. (Feltham First), Early carrots. (amsterdam forcing) and I'm going to do some 1st earlies in bags.
In the mini greenhouse I have some salad leaves, beetroot and leeks started.

Unfortunately I do not yet have a plot, so everything is in 2 mini raised beds (3 mts x 1 mt) or pots,

elibump

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 12:44 »
 :) :) :) :) ::)
So far have managed 1 bed of broad beans  and 1 bed of potatoes.  Also in pots & under glass, Brussells, tomatoes, gherkins, mange tout and radishes.  Now need life giving glass of red with lunch.   :happy: :happy: :happy:
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

tallulah

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 17:55 »
Onion sets and garlic going in tomorrow.  Some garlic already in from December.  Will try some container sowings in the greenhouse, as too chilly yet for outdoors.  :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 18:06 »
Put in some helebores, lily of the valley, clemetis, honeysuckle, climbing rose, and other bushes in my "rubbish" part of the allotment - its at the very back on a bad slope, where its impossible to really dig out.  One point in its favour, good drainage, its also where my fruit trees are.

Also put in early Nantes carrots and parsnip "Student".  Dug another bit of the plot - will finsih off tomorrow.  Brought from my conservatory to the greenhouse on the allotment the cabbages and sprouts.  My caulis are seeing daylight as are the crysanths and 2 lupins (no not trays = just 2 out of a possible 24) :(.  Tomorrow, I'll be putting my vine in.  Right now, I'm having a nice hot bath with Radox and a glass of wine. :D
Babs

vortex444

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 18:12 »
I have been up my allottment today lovely weather just a bit windy sorted the ground out for some onion sets and garlic got some planted already from winter doing really well but old boy told me last week buy some more for planting this weekend so they will keep better the ones already in will be better used almost straight away..

got some toms and sweet peppers and chillies in the greenhouse in pots and trays
in the borders i have some spring onions just poking through and some radish with some lettuce doing well..
I thought life was all rush then i got a allotment and i now love to just relax

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 18:25 »
Now the ground is workable I will be chucking in some of my onion sets and probably some carrot seed too.

Will also chuck some spuds in bags in the greenhouse to try and get some early ones.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 18:54 »
I'm going to put my onions in... I just have to remember where I was going to put them in so I don't mess up my rotation plans ::)

I started some flower seeds off last week and hopefully they'll be poking their heads up through the compost any day now  :happy:

FRUITFULL

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 19:25 »
I planted my spuds outside today,also some Broadbeans and a few lettuce,Radish and spring onions,also the strawberry plants.
In the greenhouse i have sown peas.mange tout,courgettes,beetroot,lots of bedding plants.
I repotted the tomatoes and Cucumbers and gerkins,peppers and sprouts,onions
Also have sown lettuce,raddish and spring onions in there too.
Worn out now but loved it,lets hope theres no frost else i will have to do it all again  ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 19:30 »
Didn't make it to the plot today - too many other apparently important things needed to be done first but...... :(

120 beetroot seeds sown in single-cells and in a cold-greenhouse ready for planting out once they are big enough. It worked well last year. ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 19:32 »
Little 'un got bored after doing his squash and chillies, so went inside on PS3 as per usual! Ive done lettuce in big pot outside, repotted my first chillies, sown two types of sunflowers, swede, geraniums,marigolds, loads of toms (cant find room for all the ones I want to grow  :(), broccoli, spring onions. Only got carrots in containers, snips in paper pots and beans and peas to sow direct now. Ive been a very good organised girl this year  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

cornykev

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 20:30 »
I put two lines of Lady Chrystl in on the lottie today, thats four now with my rocket I put in last week and some onions in my garden.  :D :D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU

xx
Planting pea seedlings out on weekend

Started by triage999 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 10:10
by noshed
xx
Anyone planting their spuds this weekend?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 20:52
by richie3846
xx
Is this going to be a big weekend

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 17:37
by Irene
xx
Something for the weekend....................

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 23:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 37 queries.