attaching wisteria and rose to wall

• 3 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
attaching wisteria and rose to wall
« on: March 13, 2009, 07:18 »
I have a climbing rose and a wisteria planted either side of a front window, and would like to know what would be the best way of attaching them to the brick wall so I can train them round the window.

Charlie

Stree

Re: attaching wisteria and rose to wall
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19 »
There are cleats that are made for this, either soft metal or plastic  that are fixed by nails, but these are generally only good for fixing in mortar rather than masonary.
I prefer to fix a batten or a few battens of treated timber so that it is easier to get tiebacks where you need them.
I use roofing lats, available from builders yards, these are a nominal 2x1" treated timber, usually the green stained type and so are quite unobtrusive in appearance. These are very cheap as well, I pay around £2.00 for a 5 metre length.
For training up a wall from scratch I have used two battens like this fixed vertically at a suitable distance, say a foot for a single standard climber with wires or strings run across through predrilled holes in the battens.
These battens by the way are a lot more substantial than the usually flimsy trellis sections sold in garden centres etc.
One thing I forgot to mention, I always use spacers ( offcuts of the treated timber) to space the battens away from the wall, so that air can get round the back of the plant as it grows, easier to spray if you need to and  easier to prune and tidy the growth nearest the wall

Hope this is of some help.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 08:42 »
Thanks,

Charlie

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 09:29 »
Yep, that's exactly what I have done with my wisteria and rose.   I also have a couple of climbers along the garden wall (slatted), and done the same with that.
Babs

xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
Wisteria

Started by Rangerkris on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 03, 2010, 18:31
by DavidT
xx
wisteria

Started by green fingers on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 09:42
by gobs
xx
Wisteria

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 12, 2018, 20:01
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 28 queries.