Untidy hens

• 31 Replies

Rubellite

Untidy hens
« on: March 11, 2009, 22:17 »
My two hens, Mary and Dolly were very tidy and very clean and then I introduced Lottie and Myrtle and everything has changed! Whereas M & D cuddled on the perch and pooed in a pile and didn't poo much inside the shed - now I have poo everywhere! In the morning when I open up -  all the straw 'neath the perch is scattered into the nesting boxes and on the floor. Looks like they've been having a mighty good party all night long.
 ::)
Now, my first question is, was I being completely naive in believing that all hens are good, tidy, clean creatures? Will they settle down eventually and become friends and if this happens will we have a calm, tidy, chicken house again? Lottie and Mary have been here for nearly two weeks now and Lottie has been challenging for the best spot on the perch. Myrtle likes to shuffle along the shelf to get near her and that's when all hell breaks loose it seems. I used to use a bucket and trowel to muck out - now I need a barrow and a shovel - lol.

treacleminer

Re: Untidy hens
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 22:24 »
Sounds a bit like feeling smug cos your first child sleeps well, eats everything presented to it and smiles sweetly at everyone & you wonder what all the fuss is about ...
& then offspring no 2 comes along......... ???

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 23:22 »
Hmmm - no hope for a peaceful solution, then. :blink:

RGManby

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 23:41 »
Hens are animals, if there is no cock present there will be a pecking order, the new ones (or sick) will be at the back of the queue. I think maybe you have a dominant one just playing for position and it will settle down, once the others learn their place.
As for being clean animals, I have never met a house trained one! If they are messing more than usual, especially if it is "shall we say" more liquid, seek further advice, as you may have a problem.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 00:07 by RGManby »

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 23:53 »
i'm with Treacleminer on this one, someone once asked me if i favoured one of my children more than the other 3, i said "no" i don't much like any of them :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 23:55 by TMG »

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 10:11 »
Hi. No, not to worry, good healthy poos, just kicked about everywhere!
I must have been spoilt previously, then, having neat little poo piles that were easy to collect up  :lol:

shiatsusu

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:07 »
I'm gonna make you jealous RR- our 5 all poo in neat little piles and I pick them up with gloves every morning  :lol: I wonder whether the poo spreading is going on when they wake up? What time d'you let them out?  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49 »
Hmmph. That had crossed my mind actually - if I let them out earlier they might not have time to make a mess. Usually let them  out sometime 'tween 8 and 9. Will have to fall out of bed and run up the field in my pjs before sorting out the cats, dogs and fighting for the bathroom. That will mean not getting washed and dressed 'til about 11 :wub:

Anyway, not to be defeated, I am sure that untidy hens will cause a certain blue egg layer to produce far quicker than an orderly chicken house dweller. In fact I am going to start a new post..........................

shiatsusu

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:55 »
Hmm, just because you're jealous MY soon to be blue egg layer won't spread poo all over hers when she finally does produce them  :tongue2: Our girls are out about 7.30 and I can hear them tutting from 7 so it could be yours are voting with their feet  ::) ps- I'm never washed and dressed till about lunch time so you'll be in good company- my son is now quite used to his mother taking him to school dressed like a bag lady, all the more obvious next to the non-animal keeping yummy mummies, but as he told me t'other day he wants his wife to be like me I'm not too bothered!! (poor girl, whoever she is- doesn't know what she's letting herself in for)  :lol:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 12:14 »
i let ours out at about 7 o'clock now- they think that's a bit late, but i tried 1/4 7 last week and they refused  to come out!   ::)

I always get them up wearing my pyjamas - i just stick on a pair of old trainers and my coat and off i go.
then i can go back to bed for halfan hour.  feels like a lie-in every day!

EggBound

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 12:19 »
I'm sure I'm a sight to frighten the neighbours in the morning - out in my dressing gown and welly clogs to let the chickens out.  I can hear them stamping their little feet from about 7.30 am onwards so let them out before they crush their eggs!

shiatsusu

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 12:24 »
Next time the yummies at school look down their noses at the fact I quite possibly have chicken poo on my jumper I shall smile serenly to myself thinking of you all, my forum friends, looking equally shabby after doing hen duty (sorry, that sounded rude- you know what I meant!!)  :lol:

Rubellite

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 12:28 »
Right then. PJs it is. Minor problem might be sneaking past the dogs. I usually take them with me and they get quite rowdy as we go out, which is one of the reasons we don't venture up the field too early.

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31 »
such a coincidence - I was just sharing with a duck owning pal our early morning sartorial preferences. Hers is dressing gown and OH's size 12 wellies (they are easier to put on asleep) mine is nightie with duvet jacket and gardening clogs. Fortunately I am usually back in the house before my neighbour passes by for his paper. Usually  :wacko:
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

shiatsusu

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:36 »
I find a hat is essential to hide the greasy bed hair  :ohmy:

xx
Which hens for our broody? Need good layers and hardy hens, - which to choose

Started by sarahkk on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 12:24
by sarahkk
xx
Introducing new hens to existing hens

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 14:52
by joyfull
xx
Help, hens pecking at hens bottom

Started by T C on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:03
by T C
xx
Introducing new hens to freerange hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 18:50
by mdueal

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 36 queries.