Attention! My efforts!

• 15 Replies

wafflycat

Attention! My efforts!
« on: March 11, 2009, 13:38 »
Now I know to the seasoned gardeners amongst you, this is nothing. You do this all the time. Successfully. I don't. I am useless at growing anything other than cacti. So bear with me whilst I allow myself a moment of smugness - as it may not last - I may yet kill them off...

Ladies and gentlemen, assembled hoardes.. I give you...

Paper pots and Little Gem shoots!

Hurrah!

As I say, I may yet manage to kill them off, but at least there is the inkling of edible life there! I am seriously chuffed! I took the photo to remind myself that I can get this far at least!  :lol:

Thank you. Normal service will now resume  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Attention! My efforts!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 13:41 »
I've grown stuff for ages....but like Alan Titchmarsh says...it's still a thrill
each time your seeds germinate :) :)

paintedlady

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 13:51 »
Waiting for seeds to germinate is like pacing the maternity ward - until they appear, it is still a desperate worry regardless of how "seasoned" you become  ;)  You enjoy your moment of triumph WC while I bite my nails in anticipation of the tomatoes & chillis that seem too stubborn to appear  :unsure: I think ...
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 14:21 »
I'm so glad for you :tongue2:

So far, my efforts for growing is looking unpromising ???

My dahlias (from seeds 8)) are going great as are my greyhound cabbages :D, but my tomatoes are coming up in fits and starts, as is my leeks (I'm on my second attempt), my caulis and sweetpeas have yet to see daylight; the french climbing beans are getting leggy, I'll have to plant them out next week, and hope they survive.

But I still love doing it.
Babs

Moosey

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 15:35 »
Well done!  I have a habit of killing most things that I grow, so I really know that feeling when things start to germinate!  Good luck with gettting them to the eating point!  :D
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 17:00 »
I go out a couple of times a day to check on my seeds to see if anyone's up yet.  And I talk baby-talk to them as they emerge.  Admittedly, it's often stuff like "come on little seedikins, grow so I can nom your babies", but you get the drift.

wafflycat

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 18:11 »
I go out a couple of times a day to check on my seeds to see if anyone's up yet.  And I talk baby-talk to them as they emerge.  Admittedly, it's often stuff like "come on little seedikins, grow so I can nom your babies", but you get the drift.

It's not just me then. I talk to the plants, the hens, the cats and occasionally the husband and the son  :lol:

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 19:04 »
I got caught talking to my plants on the allotment - talk about embarrassing :blush:

wendywoo

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 20:14 »
yipee! It's a smashing discovery isnt it ?   ( one day there was nothing, then the next 1" high sunflowers). I forget that all I've done  is poked a seed into some compost and natures done the rest :lol:

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 22:02 »
Well join the club I fret, and worry about mine coming up, but do a show and tell to anyone in earshog when they do.

and Babstreefern
but my tomatoes are coming up in fits and starts, as is my leeks (I'm on my second attempt)
How much do you want to bet the first lot you did appear now you have done a second lot and you end up with twice what you wanted.

My Lettuces have germinated but are very slow growing I suppose its the time of year.  Some I put outside have just stopped at the same  little seedling stage for the past three weeks, they haven't got bigger at all.  I'm trying some mini icebergs this year for a change usually just do Rom's or cos.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Chuffy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 22:05 »
Oh bless!  :D

Now you've shown me yours, if you're really lucky I'll show you mine.

Sprouting seeds, that is.  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 22:19 »
Well weekend before last I put some tomatoes and chilli seeds into these little propagators I got.  Looked at them every day for over a week, then forgot to look one day as I was busy.  When I went the next next to look, half the tomatoes have germinated and are about 2 inches tall and very spindly!  So I'll be potting them deep in 3" pots tomorrow!

Some of the chillies are peeping through too now!

And no, you never lose that wonder moment when they start to grow!  When you think what lovely food we can enjoy at harvesting time (with a bit of luck and good weather!), and it all starts with this tiny little seed!!!!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 22:21 »
Well done wafflycat, and pretty little things they are too  :)
It's lovely when things pop their heads up, sounds like we all feel the same!

lacewing

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 02:34 »
....and here was I thinking i was amongst professionals!! :unsure: :unsure:
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

wafflycat

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39 »
Oh bless!  :D

Now you've shown me yours, if you're really lucky I'll show you mine.

Sprouting seeds, that is.  ;)

I've seen some things of yours before, Chuffy!  :lol:

xx
Fruit and veg that dont require a lot of love and attention

Started by trogg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 10:15
by trogg

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 38 queries.