herbs that survived the winter

• 24 Replies

sclarke624

Re: herbs that survived the winter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 21:51 »
I wonder what Lovage tastes like, neversee it dried in glass jars.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 21:54 »
It's supposed to be like strong celery for soups.

I've tried to grow it twice from seed with no luck :(

sclarke624

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 22:03 »
That sound interesting for OH he  loves celery.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 22:15 »
Chives, Sage, Parsley, Oregano, various Mints and a creeping Thyme of some description all done well outside and regrowing in pots, Lemon Thyme and Rosemary doing very well in the garden borders.  I did lose a potted variegated Thyme over the winter but that's happened for the past few years  :(
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

MrsMak

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 22:28 »
I've got Lovage, and the taste is like celery, but with definite overtones of yeast and curry!  Very good for improving the flavour of soups and all kinds of vege stuff.
Would-be organic but still learning!

iwantanallotment

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 22:56 »
( anyone else grow lovage - a most under-rated herb ?)

I grew it last year celjaci, can't remember why. It grew like a beast too, but has since died.
Didn't know it was an aphrodisiac (honest) but will look properly into its properties now you've mentioned, cos got loads of seed left  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 22:59 by iwantanallotment »

madcat

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 23:10 »
Mint, chives & marjoram sprouting, parsley picking itself up, common or garden thyme fine, sage looks a bit sad but it always does at this time of year (and a tree did land on it so a headache is allowed  :D), rosemary coming into flower and even the herb celery is coming back from the dead.  All outside - the best they get is some protection from the wind against a wall.  I haven't been to look at the fennel, but I bet there will be a bit of bronze showing.   

The bay trees are in the front porch (good job we dont get many visitors  :unsure:  maybe they are why we dont get many visitors.  Do they eat people?  :ohmy:) but are desperate to go outside again.  I just need time to secure them against the March winds. :wub:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 16:27 »
Oooooer...from Culpeper's Complete Herbal:
"LOVAGE - Government & Uses - It is an herb of the Sun, under the sign Taurus. It opens, cures, and digests humours, and provokes womens' courses and urine. Half a dram at a time of the dried root in powder taken in wine, warms a cold stomach, helps digestion, and consumes all raw and superfluous moisture therein; eases all inward gripings and pains, dissolves wind, and resists poison and infection. The decoction of the herb is a remedy for ague, and pains of the body and bowels which proceed from cold. The seed is effectual for all the purposes aforesaid, except the last, and works more powerfully. The distilled water helps the quinsy in the throat, if the throat and mouth be gargled with it, and it helps the pleurisy, if drank three or four times. It takes away the redness and dimness of the eyes if dropped into them; it removes spots and freckles from the face. The leaves bruised, and fried in hog's lard, and laid hot to any blotch or boil, will quickly break it."

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 18:30 »
The Bay tree, I'd forgotten about that  :ohmy: Anyway that's still going strong in its container in the garden  :)

Incidently did anyone read the article about the 8 herbs you must grow in todays Independent. If memory serves me correctly Basil, Parsley, Rosemary, Bay, Mint, Chives, Thyme and Sage.

I'm afraid Lovage (which I'd forgotten about and must grow) didn't get a mention  :(

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 18:30 »
I would be really surprised if Lovage died last year it really is so tough. It dies right down for the winter and has only just started to spout again.

In Italy the young shoots are snapped off and deep fried in batter - must try that.

Apart from being so hardy one its virtues ( although could be a vice) is the size it grows to. It will quickly make a clump 3ft across. This means you can always use as much as you want.  You could murder a parsley plant just for one good meal.

I use the leaves chopped in green salads or in potato salad.
As suggested above it is great in soups ( with potato or with lettuce) or casseroles again you can afford to be generous.
The leaves do not dry well and I have never seen it freeze-dried but it freezes fine. Again due to its size you could harvest a carrier bag full for freezing to see you through the winter.
The flower stalks can be used too - try baking fish on a bed of lovage stalks
If allowed to flower ( up tp 6ft!) the seeds can be harvested and dried then used like other spices in curries ( never heard of it being grown in India )

If you want to grow from seed then fresh seed easy to germinate - otherwise it is very easy to divide a piece off  ( this weekend though before it grows too much ). Most people who have it would gladly spare a bit ( again because it grows so big )
If you have some please pass it on to neighbours - wonderful plant

Only drawback, when you have been harvesting or cutting back, the curry/yeast smell lingers on your hands and is hard to wash off
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

xx
Which herbs will last through winter?

Started by kel28 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2009, 19:21
by kel28
xx
winter salad and herbs

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 11:45
by mashbintater
xx
How do I over-winter kitchen herbs, please?

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2014, 14:57
by Kevin67
xx
What survived?

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2023, 18:13
by Growster...

Page created in 1.366 seconds with 38 queries.