Okay... so what have you planted in the ground and...

• 62 Replies

gardening robbo

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2007, 15:09 »
IVE PLANTED OUTSIDE MY SHALLOTTS , ONIONS, MORE RHUBARB ,LEEKS ,AND MY BRUSSELL SPROUTS IN THE GREEN HOUSE IVE JUST GIVEN IT A GOOD CLEAN I WILL BE PLANTING MOST OF MY VEG OUT LATE THIS YEAR DUE TO A OPERATION AT THE LOCAL HOSPICE IN APRILL BUT THE END OF MAY WE WILL BE PLANTING OUT IN ERNEST ONCE ALL THE FROSTS HAVE GONE HOPE THIS HELP ENJOY DAVE.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2007, 21:25 »
Yes i think i just heard monty Don correctly? He said "If you have raised young tender plants from seed dont even think about planting them out until may, maybe even juse as we still have cold nights"?

Mum is arguing he was only talking about tomato plants? what do you guys think?

muntjac

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2007, 21:28 »
id go for the tomato plant .. but i wouldnt even think about sticking any plants out till end april anyways and im " munty one " :lol:
still alive /............

gardening robbo

planting out
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2007, 21:31 »
No  monty is not only talking about tomatoes most things it is to early to plant out if you like broadbeans they can be planted now along with early potatoes and ive got my onion sets in the ground also but most of my veg im either sowing the seeds now or will buy the plants mid may and then plant out after the danger of frost has passed don't be in to much of a rush just yet you will have plenty time for your crops good luck.

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2007, 21:34 »
No im agreeing with you guys ! its my mum im not agreeing with....she is so impatient and keeps on at me that im leaving things too late  :roll:
Dont worry i only have my onions sets in and garlic and a rhubarb.

Sown some hispi and leeks indoors and a couple of others things and thats it.

gardening robbo

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2007, 21:36 »
Mums they all ways know best so they think but don't tell her i said so

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2007, 21:44 »
Ill be planting her soon if she doesnt stop driving me mad

beerhunter

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2007, 23:51 »
Hi everyone,

I'm another newbie allotment holder (since Nov last year), been lurking here for a few months.

I'm quite wary about planting too early, but also there's an strong urge to plant stuff too.

How do people interpret planting times on packet instructions?

I've been taking the approach (being in the SE) of if the packet says sow outside March-May, then I take March as being the first time you should even vaguely consider under glass/some protection, April outside in the south (if the conditions are right), and May in the north. Is that a reasonable interpretation?

So far I have planted this week outside;
- chitted potato's (Charlotte and some Desiree)
- pea seedlings which are about 4-5" high (Early Onward and Kelvedon Wonder) under plastic bottles for the moment.
- carrot (Early Nantes 2)
- parsnip (Gladiator F1)
- broad beans (Jubilee Hysor)
- some garlic seedlings from a neighbour

Being new to it, I'm trying the "try it and see" approach, whist trying to be realistic too I hope.

Inside I already have germinated;
- Broccoli (Autumn Calabrese)
- Celery (Galaxy Lathom Self Blanching)
- Leeks (Porvite)
- Sweet pepper (Corno di torro Mixed)
- Aubergine (Mini Bambino)

Over the weekend I plan to plant in seed trays (ready for May);
- French Beans (The Prince)
- Cucumber (Marketmore)
- Courgette (Kojac F1)
- Tomato's (Gardeners Delight and Black Russian)
- Butternut Squash (Ponca)
- and lots of herbs

WG.

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2007, 05:02 »
Hello beerhunter and welcome.  I like the name  :lol:

Annie

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2007, 08:49 »
Hello and welcome,sounds as if you are doing well so far,wish I was so organised.

ziggywigs

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2007, 12:51 »
Hi Beerhunter...welcome.

I've planted  tatties, garlic, shallots, carrots and beetroot oot so far.  Got runners running away and courgettes that need potting on....too early though to go oot side just yet...may have to pop them in the cold frame though

End of April before the garden starts filling up really.  Not that long to  go though.

Found this SNIFFER report on climate change in Scotland.  States that planting dates in 1960 were as follows for Scotland 12th April E Scotland, 10th April N Scotland and 29th March W Scotland.  It states that these have now changed and i've worked them out as 24th March E Scotland, 30th March N Scotland and 29th Feb for W Scotland.  Makes interesting reading...although think i'd keep to the 1960 dates!

beerhunter

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2007, 22:14 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Hello beerhunter and welcome.  I like the name  :lol:

Hi Whisky Golf... I think we may have something in common, and I'm not sure its golf :lol:

Quote from: "Annie"
Hello and welcome,sounds as if you are doing well so far,wish I was so organised.

Thanks Annie, must admit don't feel organised! Being the first season I'm trying to maintain a spreadsheet so I should know what to do when, but with so much to plant I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with information when I look at it!

Quote from: "ziggywigs"

Hi Beerhunter...welcome.

I've planted tatties, garlic, shallots, carrots and beetroot oot so far. Got runners running away and courgettes that need potting on....too early though to go oot side just yet...may have to pop them in the cold frame though

End of April before the garden starts filling up really. Not that long to go though.

Hi ziggywigs... I forgot to add I've got beetroot to plant too!  (which I haven't done yet). No shallots here.. but do have some North Holland Blood Red Redmate Spring Onions (yet to plant) which say they can be grown on to a bulb.. so hoping for the best of both worlds with them. Anybody tried them before?

Can't believe the weather over the past week... just had a 70km cycle today, and it was lovely! Being so warm, I'm half expecting a cold snap so waiting to May Bank Holiday to fill the allotment out. Sods law and all than may apply if I planted out now :(

Found this SNIFFER report on climate change in Scotland. States that planting dates in 1960 were as follows for Scotland 12th April E Scotland, 10th April N Scotland and 29th March W Scotland. It states that these have now changed and i've worked them out as 24th March E Scotland, 30th March N Scotland and 29th Feb for W Scotland. Makes interesting reading...although think i'd keep to the 1960 dates!

Must admit I'm too young to remember 1960, but I do remember the winters of the 70's and early 80's... and I'm sure we (in the SE) don't get the distinction between seasons we used to... or maybe its the child in me hoping for snow  :oops:

ziggywigs

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2007, 22:30 »
:shock:  Sssssnow.....i don't want snow.  I want lovely wet but warm growing weather.

Planted my tatties now and got nothing done today....the wind got up and it's been getting higher and higher...ach well back to work tomorrow.

Hopefully get more done at weekend.

beerhunter

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2007, 23:10 »
:shock:  Sssssnow.....i don't want snow.  I want lovely wet but warm growing weather.

Now as an adult (well almost now I'm approaching 40 :wink:) I've planted my peas and spuds.. I don't want it too.. but my gut feeling.. there's always a surprise isn't there?

Planted my tatties now and got nothing done today....the wind got up and it's been getting higher and higher...ach well back to work tomorrow.

Hopefully get more done at weekend.

Your working tomorrow? Hard luck... I've been very lucky, took last week off and almost on top of things now!

Tomorrow, I've got to finish clearing a small patch (3'x4') from the last bed, do some weeding, barrow some muck, see whether my broad beans have appeared yet (went in 2 weeks ago.. so should be up soon), check my peas are ok (and decide whether to take off the bottles covering them.. they are getting quite tall!), dont think my potato's will be appearing yet (planted just a week ago.. top being about 3" deep to avoid the really dry clay topsoil) .. but will be keeping a close eye on them!

Dan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2007, 22:26 »
Ok i got some stuff done the last two days.(already have my garlic, and onion sets in the ground and all showing so far !!!)

ALL my early (2 weks go ) and main crop potatoes ( last two days) are in

And today i sowed out broad beans and two types of pea's ( hope im not too early or too late but i have to fit all this in while studying a degree.)
I sowed some radishes too for the heck of it . and some poached egg plants?

inside i have chillis and peppers germinating, french marigold seedlings, leeks seedlings, hispi cabbage seedlings, tomato's germinating, basil germinating...hmm i think thats all so far?

oh and some very early p.s.broccolli plants hardening off and some more leeks ( bought from garden centre)

xx
Raspberries planted in frozen ground

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 20:34
by Bing
xx
Planted out veg

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2022, 06:04
by Growster...
xx
I wish I'd planted..............

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 19:10
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
Why can't some veg be planted near each other?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 16:06
by Kagganz

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 36 queries.