Poorly strawberries

• 13 Replies

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
Poorly strawberries
« on: March 10, 2009, 15:20 »
Hi,

This is my third attempt at growing strawberries. Last year I potted some up which i bought from Woolworths, they were the sold together in a bag with a little compost so i potted them up and they started to grow fine, but then they just died on me :( I replaced these with some from Homebase, these were bigger and were sold 6 to a tray.  I put them in a strawberry pot but they rotted off and only one survived. 

I bought the bag type again this year from Wilkinsons, I've potted them up in compost with perlite in it but after starting to grow well they are now looking a bit poorly.  I know the crowns must be above soil level and I've tried not to over water them but the first flush of leaves have died off and although some new ones seem to be appearing they don't look like they are going to survive. :( What am I doing wrong?

They are indoors at the moment in front of my patio doors getting good light.  Should I feed them with something?   

noshed

Re: Poorly strawberries
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 16:22 »
You're doing well to kill so many strawberries, they usually grow like weeds. You're probably killing them with kindness really.
Put the ones you've got outside during the day for a few days, then leave them out.
If they still die, PM me and I'll send you some of our cast-iron hard east London ones.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 16:45 »
Thank you, I will certainly take you up on that if they don't survive.

I thought about putting them outside but it's been very cold and windy here in Kent during the day recently.  I have just got my greenhouse put up but it's been too windy to put the glazing in.  Hopefully it will be done this weekend, do you think they would do better in a cold greenhouse than outside?

purplebean

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 16:51 »
Mine are growing outside and are putting on lots of new growth regardless of the weather  :)

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 16:53 »
They're hardy, they'll be fine outside and the wet might be good for them if they've dried out, as they tend to do in shops. The best I've bought were from Marshalls, very tidy strong plants all the same size too! I've only just planted them out though so no idea how they will do.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Moosey

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 16:53 »
Mine are nearly dead too   :(

But to be fair I tend to kill much more than I actually grow!  Its a knack I have  ::)
We all have wings but some of us don't know why.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 17:06 »
Harden them off for a few days and then leave them out - if that doesn't work, the offer still stands!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 17:40 »
They usually lose leaves before knew ones grow so don't give up on them  :lol:

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 17:50 »
If they are just without leaves it's probably just because they are dormant. Mine only had two or three leaves between the lot of them!

suesowsseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 18:04 »
Thanks everyone, I won't give up them just yet :D

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 21:25 »
I take it only established strawberry plants benefit from a keen frost?

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 21:34 »
Strawberries are so hardy its almost not funny so a frost won't hurt either established or not yet planted ones.
As for planting them, the existing soil line should be where the plants sit when planted, not planted higher than the existing line. It's a bit of nitpicking but strawbs really are that fussy, and if you oblige, they'll oblige in turn.
House warmth is just too dry for strawberry plants so as others suggest, get them outside asap and keep them evenly watered. Feed not necessary at this time. 

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 21:47 »
Thanks Trillium, mine came from my parent's garden which is over-run with strawberry plants. They've all been out all through our frosty, snowy winter, no protection,  lost a few leaves, and now appear to be growing. I transplanted a couple to a hanging basket today.  A chap I know has enjoyed the same plant's production from its runners since he was 11 yrs old, he's at least mid 40's now!

sclarke624

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 04:36 »
As Trillium said they don't mind the cold.  Maybe you are burying the crown, this apparently causes them to rot.
This page gives a diagram of how to plant with regards to the crown.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry2.asp
or here about half way down diagram:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/ec/ec1307/

This page, under 'where to grow', says about frost and how higher ground may be better, don't know what that means but I do grow mine on a table 4ft of the ground, don't know if that helps them or not I didn't do it for frost.
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_february_2_strawberry.asp

The page above is also the beginning of the article.

Mine and daughters strawberries look halfdead at the mo' ........well mine don't as I have cut of all the brown dead leaves but daughter hasn't bothered so hers look awful.  Mine have new leaves growing now, don't know about daughters (you can lead the horse to the water and all that LOL).

I don't have shares in garden action honest, as I give links to their pages quite a lot but I find them really useful.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

xx
strawberries?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 22:11
by white-blazes
xx
Strawberries

Started by Andy J on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 22, 2008, 20:01
by gobs
xx
First strawberries

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:17
by sunshineband
xx
strawberries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 21:37
by muntjac

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 38 queries.