Black cherry tomatoes

• 15 Replies

sclarke624

Black cherry tomatoes
« on: March 10, 2009, 02:28 »
I obtained some free Black Cherry Tomato seeds from plant world seeds.  Has anyone else had probs germinating this variety, as mine don't seem very willing to germinate have done five now and only one germinated.  Also had some orange bananna from same people and one out of three germinated.  Godd job they are free as only 20 in each pack.   At this rate will use all and have none for next year.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Black cherry tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 10:45 »
I grew these last year and had no problems.  In fact I like them enough to do them again this year.  Just looked on the packet and it says they like temperatures above 18C - 21C to germinate.  Could this be the problem.
Cheese makes everything better.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31 »
I grew mine from seed last year, and will definately do it again this year, too. They were delicious! I would think germinating temp may be a bit low or dodgy seeds as you may suspect. I think I germinated mine in an unheated greenhouse probably in early - mid April last year.
Very few made it into the house - I just gorged myself in the greenhouse!!

purplebean

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 11:39 »
I had 100% germination of my orange banana seeds last year. I'm trying black cherry this year but won't be sowing until after our Easter holiday

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 04:03 »
I grew these last year and had no problems.  In fact I like them enough to do them again this year.  Just looked on the packet and it says they like temperatures above 18C - 21C to germinate.  Could this be the problem.

Should have said I germinate in the heted conservatory.  Shouldn't think temperature is the problem because much to my OH disgust I have the heating on quite high in the conservatory in the evening its doesn't drop below 19C.

Purplebean:
Did you like the orange banana seeds?

Can't wait to try some black cherry toms. Got them free anyway so will keep sowing till packet empty.  then you just know what will happen as happened to me last year with my other variety toms and peppers............the ones I thought were dead will come up and I will have double what I want, still they sound nice enough to have double the amount of.

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:12 »
We grew some black cherry toms last year and had an excellent crop and they were very tasty also. We're growing some more again this year.

purplebean

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:01 »
Unfortunately my toms didn't ripen and then got blight last year. But I gave my Mum some plants for her greenhouse and she liked them. I did get to taste a couple and they were pretty good.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 13:39 »
Tomato Tigerella, Gardener delight, Ailsa Craig, Black cherry,
Aubergine, chilli and peppers all sown on friday..... all germinated........
except Black Cherry. :(
Still have a couple more seeds to try again when it's a bit warmer..fingers X d

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 14:28 »
The nice thing about black cherry toms is that they're open pollinated and you can save your own seeds. I sprout all my tom seeds between damp paper towels and set that into a closed plastic bag until I see signs of sprouting, which they've done within a week.

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 21:14 »
I'm gonna try that then trillium the kitchen towel thing.......seems like a good idea for these tempermental black cherries of mine.  Like I said good job they were free.  After everyone saying how nice they were think I will try to grow 4 or 5.

sclarke624

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 23:01 »
Trillium
Do you put the damp paper towel in the dark or not? Do you enclose the seeds in the kitchen towel like fold the towel over them before putting in the bag.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26 »
I take a slice of paper towel and cut it into 6 or 8 even pieces. At the bottom of each piece (provided I need them all) I use pen to label what I'll be starting. Once they're all done, I put the lot under warm water until they're soaked then squeeze them out gently. They need to be damp,not drippy. I then separate them, sprinkle on required amount of seeds onto one half and fold the other half over. when they're all done, I spritz a bit of either damp off spray or chamomile tea (cooled), put them into a lunch baggy and tie the top. I usually put them on top of the fridge where it's warm, or perhaps a sunny window. No need for shading. After 4 days I start checking daily to see which are the first to sprout. When they've got nice white roots going, I pop those into the ready pots or seed trays and tie up the rest so they can finish sprouting whenever, again, checking daily.
This year I got Bishop's Children  dahlia seeds and was surprised at 5 days to find the silly things already leafing out  ::) Methinks they're vigorous.

Should qualify something: the lunch baggy I refer to is the poly sandwich bags with a twist tie top.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 15:11 by Trillium »

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 22:07 »
Its ok Trillium I got ya, I speak Canadian don't you know.  My bags are blue so did it with cling flim think it will be ok, as I use cling film to cover seed trays.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 14:49 »
I take a slice of paper towel and cut it into 6 or 8 even pieces. At the bottom of each piece (provided I need them all) I use pen to label what I'll be starting.

I use pencil, not pen: a lot of inks run when wet.  (Of course, the sensible thing to do would be to find a pen that doesn't, but hey.)

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 15:06 »
I've used regular ball point pens for years and never had running ink problems. Marker pens, however, are another story.

xx
Anyone know where I can buy a Black Cherry tom plant?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2009, 20:06
by 666
xx
Black cherry trees

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 20:06
by Beetroot queen
xx
Please Help! Black leeches on cherry tree!

Started by NorthEastJoy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 00:23
by Salmo
xx
Cherry tree plastered in black bugs - any suggestions please

Started by Island Girls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 21:23
by naude1

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 39 queries.