Shall i move my Japanese Onions

• 9 Replies

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
Shall i move my Japanese Onions
« on: March 09, 2009, 16:49 »

I think i am going to try and have a go at companion planting. So far on my plot i have 2 rows of 1 year old Asparagus crowns of which i have planted 2 rows of lettuce seeds between the beds. About 2 foot away from my Asparagus bed i have 5 short rows of japanese onions. I discovered today whilst browsing the internet on articles for companion planting that planting onions near Asparagus is not a good idea.
Can anyone tell me the reason why and would it be ok to replant the japanese onions. They were planted mid february.
pol

fatbelly

Re: Shall i move my Japanese Onions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 19:57 »

I think i am going to try and have a go at companion planting. So far on my plot i have 2 rows of 1 year old Asparagus crowns of which i have planted 2 rows of lettuce seeds between the beds. About 2 foot away from my Asparagus bed i have 5 short rows of Japanese onions. I discovered today whilst browsing the Internet on articles for companion planting that planting onions near Asparagus is not a good idea.
Can anyone tell me the reason why and would it be OK to replant the Japanese onions. They were planted mid February.
I don't think Onions take well at all to being moved, and if you move them you will break the roots from the soil.
Also sorry but February is way to late for planting Jap Onions, consensus is that they should planted September or October at the latest.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 20:25 »
Sorry, jap onions were planted january not february. They were purchased from Thompson & Morgan who delivered them late december,had to wait a while for ground to thraw.Perhaps they will mature slightly later.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 23:35 »
I haven't the foggiest idea why onions and asparagus shouldn't be near to each other but........

I bought a fair few Japanese onion sets last autumn intending to plant the lot straight away. My Dad (whose plot it used to be) decided to "help out" and nabbed one of the two bags. He then planted them into several deep seed trays to "get them started".

Sounded a good idea.... ???

I took the other bag, which he hadn't spotted, home and then straight onto the plot. :)

In due course the seed-trays full of onions began to sprout in my dad's cold greenhouse.
All fine so far......

:blink: Problem came when I needed to  move 4 huge seed trays (double size & deep) to the plot a mile and a half away with no car! So....one tray at a time I cycled them down to the plot in my bike trailer (it's big).

The last of the Autumn onion sets went in only recently as I had missed one hiding in a cold-frame. As they had been sown in a peat-based compost replanting wasn't too difficult (although not so easy as sticking them straight in would have been!!).

All of the onions (those planted direct last Autumn and the last lot from the seed-tray) are standing up well and it's hard to tell the difference.

If you lift them from more compact soil you do stand the risk of damaging the roots to some degree.

I think unless you have some more information on why asparagus and onions should not go near each other I'd leave them put.... or experiment and move just a few to see what happens???

I'm still learning from my "mistakes".... sometimes they work out well! ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

pol and mick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 00:16 »
Thank you Learner. I  :)am a novice myself. I feel alot calmer now after reading your reply.
I do not know why the two plants are not supposed to grow near each other, no explanation was given.But like you say, i could treat it as an expreiment.
Would you know how long jap onions take to harvest?

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 11:32 »
An awful lot of the companion planting stuff doesn't stand up to tests (people have tried two beds side-by-side with different combinations and measured the yield off each).  About the only one that I can remember seeing actually produce a statistically significant drop in yield was alliums near beans.  Some of the positive ones do seem to help, though (especially the ones that are linked to pest-deterrents).  I'm not sure that asparagus has been tested, though!

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 12:54 »
Don't move onions they do not like it unless very small.  Planted a bit late for Japanese but should be OK I'd expect to crop July first or second week

I have no idea about the companion planting bit
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

woodburner

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 17:59 »
If they're 2ft away from the bed I'd leave them be. I wouldn't plant anything close enough to intermingle with the asparagus roots, but I would think that kind of distance is plenty far away. :) 

Onions apparently excrete sulphur, which kills bacteria including the nitrogen fixing bacteria associated with legumes, which apparenly is why they don't go well together. Don't know why that might be bad for asparagus though.  :mellow:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 18:53 »
If they're 2ft away from the bed I'd leave them be. I wouldn't plant anything close enough to intermingle with the asparagus roots, but I would think that kind of distance is plenty far away. :) 

Onions apparently excrete sulphur, which kills bacteria including the nitrogen fixing bacteria associated with legumes, which apparenly is why they don't go well together. Don't know why that might be bad for asparagus though.  :mellow:

This bit of advice has been useful for me!! :D :D I was planning to put a double row of pot sown broad beans along side of my onions. ::) Not done it yet so a quick rethink before week-end planting out.... Lucky beans could have been in for a dose of sulphur without me knowing.
Thanks  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

xx
Can I move onions?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 22:57
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:01
by Jeanieblue
xx
Japanese onions

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 15:48
by DD.
xx
japanese onions

Started by DrGreenthumb on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 09:18
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 29 queries.