Aldi Cherry Tree

• 20 Replies

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
Re: Aldi Cherry Tree
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 16:38 »
You can grow morello cherries as fans to save room, it would need wires etc though. They don't mind north facing areas either, unlike sweet cherries.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 08:27 »
We have an old cherry orchard  at work that is well past its best. i would love to have a crack at getting it into a working orchard again but they just wont let us spend the money on new tree's  :( i guess we could save some seeds and start own own trees.  Im waiting for the blossoms again its breath taking to see.
No chance of pruning up the old ones to make them more productive I suppose? My son lived at Dobroyd castel in Todmeorden for a couple of years, and we made some good in-roads into rejuvenating some of the fruit tress in the old walled garden, taking it a bit at a time. Still got a lot of 'water shoots' but was just getting to grips with these when he moved again. Oh, well, let's hope th new onwners don't grub the whole lot up (no he didn't own it, that was abit misleading - it was owned by the Kadampa Buddhists at the time)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 10:39 »
if you think you were impulsive buying 1 cherry tree, then i must be some thing else, as i have quite a large orchard planted now lol, consiting of around 14 apple trees, 2 pear trees, a plum tree, a cherry tree, a kiwi, a necterine and a peach.

i also have 50 grape vines arriving at the end of the month begining of april. I think i might have gotten overly addicted, as i am now trying to convince the girlfriend to come and look at the possiblty of buying a small holding 25 miles away. i wonder if there is a help group for the grow your own addicts.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10 »
Are all these on your plot?!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 11:18 »
You'll have to change your name from p00rstudent to Fruitbaron !! :D

The local birds and squirells must love you  ;)

Rob 8)

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51 »
yup, they are all on dwarfing root stock so shouldnt reach more than 15ft or so, some are being esplier along the edge of the plot, some are in the chicken pen to help provide shade, most are in the (not so mini orchard) which takes up a half plot whilst the grape vines will take up the other half, (though they are being planted rather close together), and thats not mentioning the soft fruit i have planted as to act as border hedging and wind brakes. In short i think i have pushed my plots to the absoulte limit. Though apart from pruning that is 10 rods that should be fairly low mainatnce. with 10 rods of no dig edged beds, and 5 rods given over to the chickens the total weeding area is only about 5 rods worth. still is nakering getting it all to that stage, and there is still mountains to do.

xx
aldi have a morello cherry tree for sale but .......

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 14:57
by Trillium
xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
Cherry Tree

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 14:31
by lacewing
clip
Cherry Tree

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 22, 2020, 18:38
by ches

Page created in 0.52 seconds with 36 queries.