raspberry supports

• 25 Replies

Nobbie

Re: raspberry supports
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 10:16 »
A full crop of raspberries on healthy canes is a massive weight, especially if you get a bit of wind. I use fencing posts at each end of the row set on 24" spikes (stops the base from rotting. Then nail a solid piece of timber (2" by 3") to the top of the posts to brace them against the tension of the wires between the posts. Also make sure you use decent gauge wire as I used some ordinary plastic coated wire and it snapped last year :( I've now got some blue polyethelye rope holding them up.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:17 »
I am not suggesting that you buy but look at the pictures of the supports that Harrods sell in this link. They are very simple. I like the idea of the piece of wood along the top which will stop the posts leaning inwards. The one on the right is single double row. On the left single row.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Fruit+and+Vegetable+Cages%5FFruit+and+Vegetable+cage+accessories/GDN-268.htm

Cunning
I like the idea of a double row of supports from only a single set of posts.
If I'd know that I'd've planted my canes a bit close together in December
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:23 »
A full crop of raspberries on healthy canes is a massive weight, especially if you get a bit of wind. I use fencing posts at each end of the row set on 24" spikes (stops the base from rotting. Then nail a solid piece of timber (2" by 3") to the top of the posts to brace them against the tension of the wires between the posts. Also make sure you use decent gauge wire as I used some ordinary plastic coated wire and it snapped last year :( I've now got some blue polyethelye rope holding them up.

Top tips Nobbie
When you say 24" spikes do you mean the metpost system?

Nobbie

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 20:20 »
yes, Met posts are the ones, I couldn't remember when I posted earlier

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 22:49 »
What type of raspberries are you all supporting - floricane or primocane? ???

I am sure I have a mixture as I took over some that existed on the plot and a few more canes given to me. I think I'll be puzzled about which is which until they fruit (fingers crossed).
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sheridal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 04:07 »
Is it possible to grow raspberries up a panel fence? I reallise this means we may not be able to collect some of the fruit, but we are a tad bit restricted as to where I could put some. I was thinking of putting up some chicken wire against the fence (we have some spare)

What are peoples thoughts???
Thanks

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09 »

I am sure I have a mixture as I took over some that existed on the plot and a few more canes given to me. I think I'll be puzzled about which is which until they fruit (fingers crossed).

Errr, dunno. Is this another way of saying summer or autumn varieties? The first fruiting on last year's canes and the latter on this year's canes?

If so then I am supporting both but I have read that the autumn fruiting ones do not require tying in like the summer ones. Makes sense really cos with the summer ones you always have two types of cane - the ones fruiting and the ones growing ready for next year - hence the need to organise them a bit and tie them in.

noshed

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 10:26 »
I just have two 50mmx50mm posts about 5m apart with two short cross pieces on each. The wire is stretched between them at about knee and chest height. I just used Wilkos medium duty wire and some random fence posts I got from B&Q.
Seems to work OK and cost about £5.
I used pallet wood originally but that rotted in 2 years.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 11:19 »
Is it possible to grow raspberries up a panel fence? I reallise this means we may not be able to collect some of the fruit, but we are a tad bit restricted as to where I could put some. I was thinking of putting up some chicken wire against the fence (we have some spare)

What are peoples thoughts???
Thanks

my mum always grew hers up the side of a sunny fence.
if you put them in a single row, there shouldn't be a problem - there are no spikes to worry about so you can just reach through to them.
she just held them back with a piece of string  about halfway up. (tied to the wall on one side and the bak of the fence on the other)

sheridal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 12:51 »
Thanks Andreadon

That is what I was thinking of doing, only planting them one row deep. The fence is slightly south, but mostly east facing but not obstructed by any buildings, so it should get the sun all morning and a little of the afternoon.

I can't think where else I could put any at the moment, and that is the most convenient place for them

Louisa

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 15:41 »

floricane = summer fruiting
Primocane = aututmn fruiting
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

xx
Pea Supports?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2019, 12:03
by Aidy
xx
Pea Supports

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 20:24
by garddwr
xx
Pea Supports

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 20, 2024, 16:44
by Snow
xx
Pea Supports

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 14:14
by yummy

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 37 queries.